User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intelligent Life Is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY To Be Out There

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk! View Post
    I wonder why chimps aren't still turning into people?

They Evolved Mentally and Decide They are Better Off the way They are...!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BooBoo For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (12-05-2020)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    A lot of us are very arrogant it seems. We make a lot of assumptions to support our beliefs. But, I wonder if these "experts" have considered that there may be other reasons that if their are beings out there they haven't answered our attempts to talk to them by radio. Maybe they don't use radio. Ya think? Some other intelligent life that has evolved 600 light years from us might do things different? That they didn't have Enrico Fermi but they did have Psychic Sam? That we are totally alone in the galaxy is just as frightening as if we are not alone. Maybe more.
    Last edited by Captain Kirk!; 12-04-2020 at 09:12 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Kirk! For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (12-04-2020)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Think about it... Are We Really Worth Contacting...?!? Sure Earth is a Beautiful Planet, with a Warming Sun and Clouds with Rain to Water Her, but, But, BUTT, those Critters Scurrying about down there... What the heck are they...?!?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BooBoo For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (12-04-2020)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo View Post
    Think about it... Are We Really Worth Contacting...?!? Sure Earth is a Beautiful Planet, with a Warming Sun and Clouds with Rain to Water Her, but, But, BUTT, those Critters Scurrying about down there... What the heck are they...?!?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Kirk! For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (12-04-2020),Hillofbeans (12-05-2020)

Somewhere nice Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 74.0%

Thanks
    A lot of us are very arrogant it seems. We make a lot of assumptions to support our beliefs. But, I wonder if these "experts" have considered that there may be other reasons that if their are beings out there they haven't answered our attempts to talk to them by radio. Maybe they don't use radio. Ya think? Some other intelligent life that has evolved 600 light years from us might do things different? That they didn't have Enrico Fermi but they did have Psychic Sam? That we are totally alone in the galaxy is just as frightening as if we are not alone. Maybe more.
    As radio signals leave earth, they propagate out in a wave form. Just like dropping a stone in a lake, the waves diffuse or “spread out” over distance thanks to the exponentially larger area they must encompass. The area can be calculated by multiplying length times width which is why we measure it in square units – square centimeters, square miles, etc. This means that the further away from the source, the more square units of area a signal has to ‘illuminate’.
    Another way to think of it, is that the strength of a radio signal will be only 1/4 as great once you are twice the distance from the source. At ten times the distance, the strength of the signal would only be one hundredth as great.
    Because of this inverse square law, all of our terrestrial radio signals become indistinguishable from background noise at around a few light-years from earth. For a civilization only a couple hundred light-years away, trying to listen to our broadcasts would be like trying to detect the small ripple from a pebble dropped in the pacific ocean off the coast of California – from Japan.
    Vote Reform U.K.

Rip Wes.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Kind of a corollary to my point, if we can go from trees to the moon in 3-4 million years, there should be incredible jumps in human capability with some regularity, and now that mortality rates before reproduction are a fraction of what they were in ancient times, all those advances should be moving forward with turbo speed.

Ain't happening.
    Who made Who!?

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Um... they are?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (12-05-2020)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    Kind of a corollary to my point, if we can go from trees to the moon in 3-4 million years, there should be incredible jumps in human capability with some regularity, and now that mortality rates before reproduction are a fraction of what they were in ancient times, all those advances should be moving forward with turbo speed.

Ain't happening.
    Rubbish! In the 1920s Rocket research started, it is 100 years, not even a snap of the fingers relatively speaking, look how far we have come, man made object sent flying out of our solar system.
    We have just heard the Chinese have built a computer that is so fast it would take the super computers we have 2 billion years to calculate what it calculated is few minutes.
    Given our giant leaps in technology it wouldn’t be much of a gamble to place a bet we invent some system to propel space craft at speeds approaching light speed.
    Vote Reform U.K.

Rip Wes.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    As huge as the universe is it is highly unlikely there is no intelligent life out there, not sure we would want to encounter it but I think it is out there

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillofbeans For This Useful Post:

NuYawka (12-05-2020)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillofbeans View Post
    As huge as the universe is it is highly unlikely there is no intelligent life out there, not sure we would want to encounter it but I think it is out there
    I agree with you, space is vast, the universe has trillions of galaxies, there must be billions of worlds with life forms, millions with intelligent life.
    But! Space is so vast travelling even at light speed we will never visit them, space is the last frontier we will never conquer.
    Vote Reform U.K.

Rip Wes.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (12-05-2020)

Thread Information