User Tag List

Thread: Ballistic simulator...

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks

Ballistic simulator...

Im reading Brian Litz's excellent book for the second time. Its full of useful information even for the non long range shooter. He developed software that allows you to isolate variables like velocity, ballistic coefficient, standard deviation, extreme spread, wind errors, etc and then run a simulator that will calculate hit probability at any range and against any size target.

Many of the findings are not intuitive, for example if you have 2 otherwise identical rifles, but one shoots 5 rounds into an inch at 100 yards, and the other shoots the same ammo into a 2 inch group-the rifle may only be 15 percent better at 500 yards.

This isn't just useful for long range target shooters, its also useful for hunters, particularly in light of the new match grade hunting rounds that have come out in the last few decades.

This is a freeware version that runs the simulation. If you shoot factory loads you can typically find the velocity, BC, etc on line. Depending on where you are shooting, enter the average temp and elevation as well.

Here is the program... Modern Ballistics

Last edited by US Conservative; 11-21-2020 at 04:27 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (11-22-2020),Big Dummy (11-21-2020),Captain Kirk! (11-21-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Im reading Brian Litz's excellent book for the second time. Its full of useful information even for the non long range shooter. He developed software that allows you to isolate variables like velocity, ballistic coefficient, standard deviation, extreme spread, wind errors, etc and then run a simulator that will calculate hit probability at any range and against any size target.

Many of the findings are not intuitive, for example if you have 2 otherwise identical rifles, but one shoots 5 rounds into an inch at 100 yards, and the other shoots the same ammo into a 2 inch group-the rifle may only be 15 percent better at 500 yards.

This isn't just useful for long range target shooters, its also useful for hunters, particularly in light of the new match grade hunting rounds that have come out in the last few decades.

This is a freeware version that runs the simulation. If you shoot factory loads you can typically find the velocity, BC, etc on line. Depending on where you are shooting, enter the average temp and elevation as well.

Here is the program... Modern Ballistics

Litz is an engineering and ballistics savant and has advanced the science by many decades in just a few years. He frequents another forum I read regularly and post on as well.

Heck of a nice guy too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Litz is an engineering and ballistics savant and has advanced the science by many decades in just a few years. He frequents another forum I read regularly and post on as well.

Heck of a nice guy too.
    Yeah IIRC he worked on hypersonic missiles.

He's around at a few forums and doing podcasts.

Last edited by US Conservative; 11-22-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    To see what a ballistic sim can do to model hit probability...

For all the loads, we’ll assume we were able to achieve an great muzzle velocity standard deviation of 10 fps (see the previous post for more info on what that means). We’ll also run all of the simulations at a 0.25 MOA extreme spread, and good wind-calling ability, which means we’re able to call the wind speed within 1.25 mph 68% of the time, and within 2.5 mph 95% of the time.

How Much Does Cartridge Matter? - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (11-22-2020)

Thread Information