User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 589101112131415

Thread: Why the Universe isnt infinite

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    no it isnt. the unitsof measurement or expression are irrelevant, it doesnt matter if you measure c in K/sec MPH or Roman Cubits per venusian year, its RATIO to other constats is the same. Theres two sorts of constants, and one sort are dimesionless number, ratios. They are absolute, whether we know them and measure them or not, and irrelevant to what units of measure we use.

The fine structure constant, also known as alpha, is a case in point. Alpha lies at the centre of a theory Dirac initiated and Feynman worked on: quantum electrodynamics, or QED. This is the quantum theory of the electromagnetic force, and describes the interactions between light and matter. Alpha determines their strength. It is itself constructed from the speed of light, the electron’s charge, Pi – few physical theories are complete without pi – and a couple of other fundamental constants, carefully arranged so that it is just a pure number, independent of human influence: 0.00729735, just a whisker away from 1/137.

Alien Mathematicians across the Universe will arrive at exactly the same number, converted from whatever number base they use, if it isnt base 10.. It is, therefore, a universal truth.
    Ha ha - I believe that reality is reality, no matter where it's found.

However, you're aware that the history of physics is the search for "which" math applies.

It happens all the time, it happened with Minkowski and Einstein and now it's happening with string theory.

It makes sense that people would scratch their heads for a while, and exhaust the Euclidean methods, before they finally figure out they're dealing with non-Euclidean geometry.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 78.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    No it isnt. The mass of an electron is 9.10938356 × 10-31 kilograms. It was that before we ever worked it out, at the moment Cosmic Inflation ceased. Its an absolutel universal truth, dependant on nothing. There are 31 universal constants in Particle Physics that ar eabsolte , determined by nothing erlse, and cannot be calculated. They just are , and have alwys been, even if we had never discovered them. They include the strong nuclear force, the weak nuyclear force, the stength of gravity (G) the rate of elastic scattering, the close packing constant.the speed of light c, the Planck constant h, the 9 Yukawa couplings for the quarks and leptons (equivalent to specifying the rest mass of these elementary particles), 2 parameters of the Higgs field potential, 4 parameters for the quark mixing matrix, 3 coupling constants for the gauge groups SU(3) × SU(2) × U(1) (or equivalently, two coupling constants and the Weinberg angle).

Similarly in maths, there many absolute constants, that are not determined by obsevers: eg Pi π, Archimedes' constant π, The imaginary unit i, Euler's number e, Pythagoras' constant √2, The Feigenbaum constants α and δ, Apéry's constant ζ The golden ratio φ, The Euler–Mascheroni constant γ, Conway's constant λ, Khinchin's constant K, The Glaisher–Kinkelin constant A etc etc.

The truths in maths existed the moment the universe was created, the proof is that if they wernt, the unverse couldnt have existed. Consider the masses of the neutron, the proton, and helium. As it is, the neutron is heavier than the proton (by enough), so free neutrons decay into protons. However, helium is lighter than the protons and electrons it would turn into. Therefore, we get a universe like what we have: protons are stable, and so is helium, and we get stars, galaxies and elements up to 92 naturally.

Now: if the neutron was a bit heavier, then helium wouldn’t be stable (nor other atomic nuclei, other than hydrogen). This would mean that we would get a universe with only hydrogen, no other elements, no stars, and no interesting chemistry, which we could plausibly take to indicate no life. Conversely, if the neutron were (sufficiently) lighter than the proton, then protons decay to neutrons, and we get a similar deal - all neutrons, so no chemistry and thus (arguably) no life.
    Sounds like the Good Lord knew what He was doing!
    “There is no more order to conserve; it is necessary to create a new one.” - Nietzsche

"You know a million sheep will be dispersed by one lion's roar." - Rome

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    I just heard this on radio about the moon and stars..

Something about "Alingments" I guess

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall River View Post
    What if the universe had no beginning? ....our universe may not have a beginning or end.

https://earthsky.org/space/what-if-t...d-no-beginning
    No beginning, no end? Where yew at? Ize right cheer.
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

The Democratic Party. The party of the STUPIDS, for the STUPIDS, by the STUPIDS.

جعل أمريكا كبيره مره أخرى
    I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    Sounds like the Good Lord knew what He was doing!
    Here - I'll be radical. (Smarty is gonna love this).

Math - all of it - boils down to the relationship between the discrete and the continuous.

On the discrete side, you have your integers, which determine "most" structure, because they define "countability" and "ordering" and all kindza good stuff.

On the continuous side are abstract concepts like smoothness and neighborhoods and connectedness and compactness.

And in the middle are things like series expansions, lattice topology, even Hilbert spaces.

In calculus we learn ways of transitioning conceptually, from discrete thinking to continuous thinking. Taylor series is useful, you can use it for both integrals and derivatives. These "approximations" often have intuitive continuous limits.

It's interesting to consider, that the most important number in the world, Pi, can not be accurately represented on any digital computer. It somehow threads its way through all the discrete nodes and ends up in never-never land.

And also it's interesting to consider, that quantization is fundamentally a discrete theory. The idea of "buckets" is well known to data analysts, and Georg Cantor showed us how to "dissolve" a dimension (procedurally, into a "dust") but the creation of one is a much bigger concept.

I'll go out on a limb and state flatly that it requires noise. Like so many other things, it won't work at all without the noise.

The relationship between the discrete and continuous is the key to understanding "dimensions".

Thread Information