User Tag List

Thread: Inside the Evolution Silo Darwinism as a Cult

Alumni Member and VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Timey-Wimey Wibbly-Wobbly Blue Box Thingy
    Thanks

Inside the Evolution Silo Darwinism as a Cult

Inside the Evolution Silo — Darwinism as a Cult | Evolution News

I know that sounds harsh but think about it. I was listening to podcaster Scott Adams who discusses the phenomenon of a news silo where members of the public are sheltered from news that violates their preferred political or other narrative. A major news story can break outside of the silo but, because it goes against the narrative, those in the silo will never hear about it. The media they watch wont let them.
    I understand that in a sense we all live in a silo, following our preferred sources of information. But Adams points out that some communities, built around narratives, are far more isolated than others. They function in a cult-like manner. All competing information is excluded. Debate is avoided. Contact with outsiders is discouraged. Anyone who leaves the cult and goes over to the other side is demonized. To admit doubts even in private is to invite censure. The other side is demonized and distorted. Thus a consensus in favor of the ruling narrative is maintained. Sure, those in the cult are well aware of the existence of people outside, but rarely if ever converse with them. Why anyone would wish to live outside, unless they are stupid, deluded, or wicked, is a subject of distressed bewilderment.
    Top Six Evidences

Does all this sound familiar at all? The defense of Darwinian theory has definite cultish aspects. Our mathematician colleague Granville Sewell observes that if you listen to IDs critics, you get a wildly simple-minded and ignorant distortion. He quotes an ACLU statement that ID simply says that some things that seem very complex could not have happened based on natural causes. So where it sees complexity, it declares that it must have been created by a supernatural entity. But that is an absurd, hopeless caricature. Dr. Sewell lists what he calls the Top Six Evidences for Intelligent Design. How many among the staunch defenders of Darwinism are even aware of the major areas of evidence for design that ID proponents offer? My experience is that very few could even name those areas. How many could tell you, for example, what Stephen Meyer says in Darwins Doubt or what Michael Denton says in his new book, The Miracle of the Cell? Vanishingly few.

A Curious Apologetics

Why is that? Darwin defenders practice a curious kind of apologetics where they steer clear of familiarity with the competing scientific view. Debate is avoided. They campaign to prevent high school students from hearing that evolution may have scientific weaknesses. Atheist biologist Jerry Coyne, an emeritus professor at the University of Chicago, writes a voluminous blog, Why Evolution Is True, where you would expect some engagement with the competition. But your expectation would be disappointed. In their community, the favored narrative is protected by the mother of all news silos. How many evolutionary scientists have even met a proponent of intelligent design? If they do meet them, they avoid them. When ID scientists and scholars participated in the important Royal Society conference New trends in evolutionary biology: biological, philosophical and social science perspectives, they were shunned.
    Darwinists cant understand why anyone would wish to be outside the silo. Atheit biologist Richard Dawkins has said he would rather not consider the possibility that the outsiders are wicked, but neither does he rule it out.
    Perhaps the most cult-like aspect of Darwinism is the way it threatens and punishes those in the community who would consider speaking up about their doubts or would leave altogether. As Yale computer scientist David Gelernter has said, in the context of his own coming out as Darwin skeptic, You take your life in your hands to challenge it intellectually. They will destroy you if you challenge it. The Free Science website tells the stories of scientists who nearly were destroyed for challenging Darwin from within the silo.
    The Community Rule

The editors of a prominent journal, the Journal of Theoretical Biology, published a peer-reviewed pro-ID paper recently only to, it seems, be reminded by the community that they had broken the community rule: no serous interaction with design arguments. They promptly published a disclaimer, rejecting their own article, and offered up instead another article seeking to rebut the first. You can understand why they panicked: they dont want to have their own careers ruined for letting in a little light.
    That Darwinism functions much as a cult doesnt by itself rule out the possibility of its being a true picture of biological origins. To judge that question you would have weigh the competing arguments. But that is what most evolution defenders have steadfastly refused to do.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." - Miss Clara

Captain Cold
    : Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

Kenneth Copeland: "Sometimes you can tell what something is by what it isn't."

Ender Wiggin: Knocking him down was the first fight, I wanted to win all the others, so they'd leave me alone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Chester Arthur (10-29-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Lol! Theists so badly want Atheism to be a religion... Why? Who knows..?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bastion For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (10-29-2020),Oceander (10-29-2020),Quark (10-29-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Thanks
    The science of evolution is simply not understood by the masses. Because of that we are in the mess we have today.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 61.0%

Thanks
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 10-29-2020 at 03:30 PM.
    "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

"I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance"
    (Amy Farrah Fowler)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

"For the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God..." 1Thess.4:16

Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    The science of evolution is simply not understood by the masses. Because of that we are in the mess we have today.

I can understand that sentiment.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." - Miss Clara

Captain Cold
    : Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

Ender Wiggin: Knocking him down was the first fight, I wanted to win all the others, so they'd leave me alone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    Atheism Is Not A Religion

Short Version: There are no reasonable definitions of “atheism” and “religion” that overlap. On the flip side, it is silly to say “theism is a religion” — theism is simply a belief in one or more gods. Neither atheism nor theism indicates a system or organized set of beliefs. Atheism and theism simply represent one-word answers to the question “Do you believe in God(s)?”

That is good to know. Indeed there is a difference between atheism versus theism. However a cult which is the focus of the article does not necessarily have to revolve around theism or theistic or religious concepts.

Cult - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

In modern English, a cult is a social group that is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or by its common interest in a particular personality, object or goal. This sense of the term is controversial, having divergent definitions both in popular culture and academia, and has also been an ongoing source of contention among scholars across several fields of study.

{Is not Darwinism a kind of social group based around the personality of Darwin & his book which in turn circles around a certain "scientific" goal? Note atheists or atheism is not mentioned in the article. Just an observation.}

Captain Cold

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks

Darwinism has nothing to do with intelligent design.

The two concepts don't overlap. At all. If you think they do, you're misunderstanding one or the other, or both.

Or, you're being political and you have an agenda.

There is no "conflict" between evolution and creation. People who claim there is, don't understand the evidence.

And FURTHERMORE, us puny humans are a long way away from being able to answer sophisticated questions like this. This biophysics stuff is like string theory, we struggle to understand it, we aspire to understand it, but anyone who claims they do, doesn't. They're lying - they DON'T understand it, that's why they have to "study" it.

There's all kinds of bogus "logic" floating around in this space. You know - "strongly conserved" does not equate with "common ancestor", that kind of thing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (10-29-2020),Oceander (10-29-2020)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 61.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post
    That is good to know. Indeed there is a difference between atheism versus theism. However a cult which is the focus of the article does not necessarily have to revolve around theism or theistic or religious concepts.

Cult - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

In modern English, a cult is a social group that is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or by its common interest in a particular personality, object or goal. This sense of the term is controversial, having divergent definitions both in popular culture and academia, and has also been an ongoing source of contention among scholars across several fields of study.

{Is not Darwinism a kind of social group based around the personality of Darwin & his book which in turn circles around a certain "scientific" goal? Note atheists or atheism is not mentioned in the article. Just an observation.}

Sorry, my post was a response to another comment about atheism - so a bit off-topic.

I removed it (but not quickly enough) and decided to use it to start it's own thread with.
    "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

"I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance"
    (Amy Farrah Fowler)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

"For the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God..." 1Thess.4:16

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SharetheHedge For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (10-29-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    Sorry, my post was a response to another comment about atheism - so a bit off-topic.

I removed it (but not quickly enough) and decided to use it to start it's own thread with.

Oh.....okay.....not a big deal. Thank you for that clarification.

Captain Cold

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post
    Inside the Evolution Silo €” Darwinism as a Cult | Evolution News

I know that sounds harsh but think about it. I was listening to podcaster Scott Adams who discusses the phenomenon of a “news silo” where members of the public are sheltered from news that violates their preferred political or other narrative. A major news story can break outside of the silo but, because it goes against the narrative, those in the silo will never hear about it. The media they watch won’t let them.
    I understand that in a sense we all live in a silo, following our preferred sources of information. But Adams points out that some communities, built around narratives, are far more isolated than others. They function in a cult-like manner. All competing information is excluded. Debate is avoided. Contact with outsiders is discouraged. Anyone who leaves the cult and goes over to the other side is demonized. To admit doubts even in private is to invite censure. The other side is demonized and distorted. Thus a consensus in favor of the ruling narrative is maintained. Sure, those in the cult are well aware of the existence of people outside, but rarely if ever converse with them. Why anyone would wish to live outside, unless they are stupid, deluded, or wicked, is a subject of distressed bewilderment.
    “Top Six Evidences”

Does all this sound familiar at all? The defense of Darwinian theory has definite cultish aspects. Our mathematician colleague Granville Sewell observes that if you listen to ID’s critics, you get a wildly simple-minded and ignorant distortion. He quotes an ACLU statement that ID “simply says that some things that seem very complex could not have happened based on natural causes. So where it sees complexity, it declares that it must have been created by a supernatural entity.” But that is an absurd, hopeless caricature. Dr. Sewell lists what he calls the “Top Six Evidences for Intelligent Design.” How many among the staunch defenders of Darwinism are even aware of the major areas of evidence for design that ID proponents offer? My experience is that very few could even name those areas. How many could tell you, for example, what Stephen Meyer says in Darwin’s Doubt or what Michael Denton says in his new book, The Miracle of the Cell? Vanishingly few.

A Curious Apologetics

Why is that? Darwin defenders practice a curious kind of apologetics where they steer clear of familiarity with the competing scientific view. Debate is avoided. They campaign to prevent high school students from hearing that evolution may have scientific weaknesses. Atheist biologist Jerry Coyne, an emeritus professor at the University of Chicago, writes a voluminous blog, Why Evolution Is True, where you would expect some engagement with the competition. But your expectation would be disappointed. In their community, the favored narrative is protected by the mother of all news silos. How many evolutionary scientists have even met a proponent of intelligent design? If they do meet them, they avoid them. When ID scientists and scholars participated in the important Royal Society conference “New trends in evolutionary biology: biological, philosophical and social science perspectives,” they were shunned.
    Darwinists can’t understand why anyone would wish to be outside the silo. Atheit biologist Richard Dawkins has said he would “rather not consider” the possibility that the outsiders are “wicked,” but neither does he rule it out.
    Perhaps the most cult-like aspect of Darwinism is the way it threatens and punishes those in the community who would consider speaking up about their doubts or would leave altogether. As Yale computer scientist David Gelernter has said, in the context of his own coming out as Darwin skeptic, “You take your life in your hands to challenge it intellectually. They will destroy you if you challenge it.” The Free Science website tells the stories of scientists who nearly were destroyed for challenging Darwin from within the silo.
    The Community Rule

The editors of a prominent journal, the Journal of Theoretical Biology, published a peer-reviewed pro-ID paper recently only to, it seems, be reminded by the community that they had broken the community rule: no serous interaction with design arguments. They promptly published a disclaimer, rejecting their own article, and offered up instead another article seeking to rebut the first. You can understand why they panicked: they don’t want to have their own careers ruined for letting in a little light.
    That Darwinism functions much as a cult doesn’t by itself rule out the possibility of its being a true picture of biological origins. To judge that question you would have weigh the competing arguments. But that is what most evolution defenders have steadfastly refused to do.

There are holes in darwinism. traits that get passed on for no apparent reason, the slight possibility of seperate instances of human evolution, unexplained burst of fast paced changes etc.
    However Natural Selection and "Survival of those fittest for that particular niche" are still the best we have to explain the details. Details that could have been put in motion by a higher power .... or maybe not. I think the only clear conflict with Darwin is Fundamentalist views of a 6,000 year old earth etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (10-31-2020)

Thread Information