User Tag List

Thread: Hold the presses! There is this stuff called cream of mushroom soup.

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks

Hold the presses! There is this stuff called cream of mushroom soup.

you can mix it with canned chicken or fish and make ..... CHOWDER. Can't wait to see if it works with canned turkey and beef.

YOU CAN EVEN EAT IT BY ITSELF!

This must be what is meant by " .. he maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside still waters."

My life is now so much easier.

PS... tried it with canned corned beef and I have to say that this culinary miracle does have some limitations.
    Stand Back
    Stand By

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Oceander (10-07-2020),Old Ridge Runner (10-07-2020),US Conservative (10-07-2020)

Stalking Santa in 2020 V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    Whoa!

Wait until you find Cream of Bacon!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NORAD For This Useful Post:

Call_me_Ishmael (10-07-2020),Foghorn (10-07-2020),Old Ridge Runner (10-07-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    Have you used it with rice, make a great side dish.
    Humble yourself, for there is an enormous change coming.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Oceander (10-07-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    My mom used to make a tuna cassoroule with macaroni shells, tuna and cream of mushroom soup, I used to like it then but not now I'm not huge on Tuna, I'm a bit of Joe Pesci on the subject

Last edited by Frankenvoter; 10-07-2020 at 06:34 AM.

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NORAD View Post
    Whoa!

Wait until you find Cream of Bacon!
    I thought you were joking. But no... it actually exists! Like the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil... there it is.... forbidden....out of stock.... or a price gouging apple on the Amazon tree.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 10-07-2020 at 06:41 AM.
    Stand Back
    Stand By

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Oceander (10-07-2020)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ridge Runner View Post
    Have you used it with rice, make a great side dish.
    On a less humorous note....
    My SO uses it occasionally but I think if rice is called for she would use "riced" cauliflower. But I only get that when I eat at her house.

In my prepping purchases, I have alot of various foods and told her that she could even make her favorite recipes since I have everything she needs.. But she asked me if I had cream of mushroom soup. Ummm... no I didn't. So I bought some to put into my stockpile of shelf stable food. I buy food to eat weekly and don't rely solely on that stockpile. But lacking something that "sounded good" one day a few weeks ago, I used this soup with some chicken and .... that was the big eye opener. Actually, as a kid this soup was one of my favorites but if my mother ever used it in a recipe I was unaware of it.

I just really don't have the inclination to cook with recipes and complex sequences of steps. But we occasionally watch "chopped" and I have long thought that I would like to know alot more honest-to-god cooking chemistry that would blow the socks off of those stuffy judges.... something that creates whole new flavors or textures..... or something that allows you to do in 30 minutes what has always taken 5 or 6 hours to do. So I think cooking is an art and a science but one that I have not really explored yet.
    Stand Back
    Stand By

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (10-07-2020)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    This kinda belongs under prepping because if I knew the infrastructure were not going to fall, I would not have stocked up with cases and cases of canned mackerel. But here I am..... and now add the mushroom soup. And add a reference to Moby Dick.

However, a warm savory steam from the kitchen served to belie the apparently cheerless prospect before us. But when that smoking chowder came in, the mystery was delightfully explained. Oh! sweet friends, hearken to me. It was made of small juicy clams, scarcely bigger than hazel nuts, mixed with pounded ship biscuits, and salted pork cut up into little flakes! the whole enriched with butter, and plentifully seasoned with pepper and salt. Our appetites being sharpened by the frosty voyage, and in particular, Queequeg seeing his favourite fishing food before him, and the chowder being surpassingly excellent, we despatched it with great expedition: when leaning back a moment and bethinking me of Mrs. Hussey's clam and cod announcement, I thought I would try a little experiment. Stepping to the kitchen door, I uttered the word "cod" with great emphasis, and resumed my seat. In a few moments the savoury steam came forth again, but with a different flavor, and in good time a fine cod-chowder was placed before us.

Everytime I read the book, this little paragraph on chowder gets me hungry. So while neither clam nor cod, surely my canned mackerel will make a tasty chowder in the midst of TEOTWAWKI.

Try number 1: open mackerel packed in water. Drain water. Put in bowl. Add the amazing mushroom soup. Heat. Pepper. And eat. Yum yum yum ... uhhh... well... fishy. Ugh.

So I read then the source of the fishy taste and that milk protein binds with the fishyuck so a 20 minute soak will get rid of the fishyuck. I have lots of shelf stable nonfat dry milk. I can waste some now to try this trick. So

Try number 2: open mackerel packed in water. Drain water. Put in bowl. Rinse big chunks with clean water twice. Add maybe 4 tablespoons of nonfat dry milk powder. Add water to cover fish.. stir to dissolve the milk.. With knife just break up the big pieces to be about 1 cm in size. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain. Wash and drain a couple times. Add the amazing mushroom soup. Heat. Pepper. And eat.

Now we are talking. Buy I need to optimize. I won't have endless supplies of powdered milk to waste so I will need to determine the minimum amounts of milk powder that works. And also the best size of the fish chunks. And also maybe I should scrap the mushroom soup and make a milk based chowder with the dry milk and the shelf stable butter I have. I will look into the "salted pork" that is spoken of in Melvilles novel. Salted pork. Would spam work. Oh my god..... that will be try #3.

PS. Half my mackerel is packed in olive oil. I can only hope that I can use a similar approach but suspect I will need some emulsifier to mix with the oil so that rinsing it with water will allow the milk to get to the surface of the fish.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 10-10-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    Stand Back
    Stand By

Thread Information