User Tag List

Thread: Revealed: US Air Force Has Secretly Built and Flown a New Fighter Jet

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks

Revealed: US Air Force Has Secretly Built and Flown a New Fighter Jet

The U.S. Air Force’s disclosure that it has secretly built and flown a prototype fighter jet could signal a shift in how the military buys weapons and who builds them.Will Roper, the head of Air Force acquisition, revealed the existence of the new jet, which he said was part of the service’s Next Generation Air Dominance, or NGAD, project.
    “NGAD right now is designing, assembling, testing in the digital world, exploring things that would have cost time and money to wait for physical world results,” Roper said during a video presentation at the Air Force Association’s Virtual Air, Space & Cyber Conference on Tuesday. “NGAD has come so far that the full-scale flight demonstrator has already flown in the physical world. It’s broken a lot of records in the doing.”
    Roper provided no more details about the jet, which is presumed to be the Pentagon’s first attempt to build a “sixth-generation” tactical aircraft after the fifth-gen F-22 and F-35 jets. He even declined to name the company or companies that built the jet.
    But he said the digital design technology used to build the new plane could increase competition and increase the number of American military jet makers.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2020/09/air-forces-connect-everything-project-just-had-big-success/168407/

More here... The U.S. Air Force Has Secretly Flown A Demonstrator For Its Next-Generation Fighter - The Drive

This is some interesting news. It was known that the US was already working on 6th generation aircraft-but apparently computer modelling has allowed this aircraft to be developed in record time-and that includes a flying prototype that has broken many records.
    6th gen means further stealth capabilities as well as increased data fusion from multiple sources.
    As of now, it looks like the F-22, F-35, and B-21 will be it for 5th gen aircraft.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (09-15-2020),Big Dummy (09-15-2020),jirqoadai (09-16-2020),Lone Gunman (09-15-2020),Old Ridge Runner (09-16-2020),Physics Hunter (09-16-2020),Quark (09-16-2020),tlmjl (09-15-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The U.S. Air Force’s disclosure that it has secretly built and flown a prototype fighter jet could signal a shift in how the military buys weapons and who builds them.Will Roper, the head of Air Force acquisition, revealed the existence of the new jet, which he said was part of the service’s Next Generation Air Dominance, or NGAD, project.
    “NGAD right now is designing, assembling, testing in the digital world, exploring things that would have cost time and money to wait for physical world results,” Roper said during a video presentation at the Air Force Association’s Virtual Air, Space & Cyber Conference on Tuesday. “NGAD has come so far that the full-scale flight demonstrator has already flown in the physical world. It’s broken a lot of records in the doing.”
    Roper provided no more details about the jet, which is presumed to be the Pentagon’s first attempt to build a “sixth-generation” tactical aircraft after the fifth-gen F-22 and F-35 jets. He even declined to name the company or companies that built the jet.
    But he said the digital design technology used to build the new plane could increase competition and increase the number of American military jet makers.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2020/09/air-forces-connect-everything-project-just-had-big-success/168407/

More here... The U.S. Air Force Has Secretly Flown A Demonstrator For Its Next-Generation Fighter - The Drive

This is some interesting news. It was known that the US was already working on 6th generation aircraft-but apparently computer modelling has allowed this aircraft to be developed in record time-and that includes a flying prototype that has broken many records.
    6th gen means further stealth capabilities as well as increased data fusion from multiple sources.
    As of now, it looks like the F-22, F-35, and B-21 will be it for 5th gen aircraft.

Now I get it.

I know why Communist China is backing the Joe Biden for President.

The Chi-Coms also want the NGAD.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to APACHERAT For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (09-15-2020),East of the Beast (09-16-2020),Lone Gunman (09-15-2020),Old Ridge Runner (09-16-2020),Quark (09-16-2020),tlmjl (09-15-2020),US Conservative (09-15-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Now I get it.

I know why Communist China is backing the Joe Biden for President.

The Chi-Coms also want the NGAD.
    I have no doubt. Biden is China's gal.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (09-15-2020),Lone Gunman (09-15-2020),Old Ridge Runner (09-16-2020),Quark (09-16-2020),tlmjl (09-15-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registered
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    Interesting the AI angle in there.

I caught an article on that earlier when I looked at the missile launch detection thread.
    https://www.investors.com/news/sixth...220&yptr=yahoo

The coolest phrase in there is "I can see AI being a big deal, but it's fragile right now."
    Nice to see the metal bending part of DoD has a clear eye about the infantile nature of a lot of AI.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    This isn't big news. Would you expect anything less from our DOD but to remain competitive?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to someguy For This Useful Post:

US Conservative (09-16-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    This isn't big news. Would you expect anything less from our DOD but to remain competitive?
    This is more than competitive-this is world beating by at least 2 generations of advanced fighter aircraft.

Essentially it was just announced that the best fighter on earth was developed secretly and rapidly in record short periods of time.

The combination of computer design and incremental software upgrades suggests we can gear up incredibly fast.

We should sell F-35's to all our allies and use the funds to fast track this-what we would have is an allied fleet of 5th gen fighters all designed to work seamlessly together, with the US having 6th gen units.

Lets see how China, Iran, or North Korea react to that.

50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    This is more than competitive-this is world beating by at least 2 generations of advanced fighter aircraft.
    I wouldn’t. Let’s not get too excited. It still hasn’t been battle tested.
    Essentially it was just announced that the best fighter on earth was developed secretly and rapidly in record short periods of time.

The combination of computer design and incremental software upgrades suggests we can gear up incredibly fast.

We should sell F-35's to all our allies and use the funds to fast track this-what we would have is an allied fleet of 5th gen fighters all designed to work seamlessly together, with the US having 6th gen units.

Lets see how China, Iran, or North Korea react to that.

Thanks
    "I wouldn’t. Let’s not get too excited. It still hasn’t been battle tested."

Has the F-22 been battle tested?

Outside of targeted strikes has the F-35 been battle tested?

What is the combat record of the F-15?

How many of China's aircraft are battle tested?

How about Russia?

BTW-if we know this about a 6th gen I'd expect at least several complementary armaments are in the works.

Same for the 7th gen.

50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    "I wouldn’t. Let’s not get too excited. It still hasn’t been battle tested."

Has the F-22 been battle tested?

Outside of targeted strikes has the F-35 been battle tested?

What is the combat record of the F-15?

How many of China's aircraft are battle tested?

How about Russia?

BTW-if we know this about a 6th gen I'd expect at least several complementary armaments are in the works.

Same for the 7th gen.
    More so than this newest fighter. I think our "allies" can get by just fine for now with what they have. I see no need in giving them some our newest, and best tech.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastion View Post
    More so than this newest fighter. I think our "allies" can get by just fine for now with what they have. I see no need in giving them some our newest, and best tech.
    I disagree. 5th gen is a game changer. We have 6th gen in the (rapid) works, think less than a decade, vs the 30 years of the F22 and F35, and longer for the B-21.

The wannabe Russian and Chinese "5th gens" are lame rip offs with limited numbers and shitty engines.

We DESIGNED 5th gens that in the event that blueprints and schematics were stolen, it would take 2 plus decades to replicate, since working with the materials would be so hard.

Im not gloating, Im saying if you are waiting for a proven track record you are gonna be waiting a long time-and that's BESIDES the armaments.

We probably have a 7th gen near completion, if we are announcing this.

Moscow and Beijing ain't liking this one bit.
    Last edited by US Conservative; 09-17-2020 at 03:16 AM.

Thread Information