User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1900 Galveston Hurricane - 120yrs Ago Today

Truth Seeker, Alumni, V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
    No worries. I saw the title when the book was first mentioned here, & it jogged my memory. Galveston would have had 5 day's warning, if the Cuba warning had been passed on. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

"On September 1, Father Lorenzo Gangoite, the director of the Belen College Observatory in Havana, Cuba, noted that the storm was in its formative stages, with only vague indications of a small tropical cyclone to the southwest of Saint Croix.[9] During that day, the system passed to the south of Puerto Rico before it made landfall near Baní, Dominican Republic, early on September 2.[4] Moving west-northwestward, the storm crossed the island of Hispaniola and entered into the Windward Passage near Saint-Marc, Haiti, several hours later.[4] The system made landfall on Cuba near Santiago de Cuba during September 3, before it moved slowly west-northwestward across the island and emerged into Straits of Florida as a tropical storm on September 5.[4] As the system emerged into the Straits of Florida, Gangoite observed a large, persistent halo around the moon, while the sky turned deep red and cirrus clouds moved northwards. This indicated to him that the tropical storm had intensified and that the prevailing winds were moving the system towards the coast of Texas.[10] However, the United States Weather Bureau disagreed with this forecast, as they expected the system to recurve and make landfall in Florida before impacting the American East Coast.[10][11] An area of high pressure over the Florida Keys ultimately moved the system northwestward into the Gulf of Mexico, where favorable conditions such as warm sea surface temperatures allowed the storm to intensify into a hurricane.[4][10]

Hurricane track from September 1 to 10

"In the eastern Gulf of Mexico on September 6, the ship Louisiana encountered the hurricane, whose captain, T. P. Halsey, estimated that the system had wind speeds of 100 mph (160 km/h).[12] The hurricane continued to strengthen significantly while heading west-northwestward across the Gulf of Mexico. On September 7, the system reached its peak intensity with estimated sustained wind speeds of 145 mph (230 km/h), which made it equivalent to a Category 4 hurricane on the modern day Saffir–Simpson scale.[4] That day, the Weather Bureau realized that the storm was continuing west-northwestward across the Gulf of Mexico, rather than turning northward over Florida and the East Coast of the United States. However, Weather Bureau director Willis Moore insisted that the cyclone was not of hurricane intensity.[10] The hurricane weakened slightly on September 8 and recurved to the northwest as it approached the coast of Texas, while the Weather Bureau office in Galveston began observing hurricane-force winds by 22:00 UTC.[4][13]
    "The cyclone made landfall around 8:00 p.m CST on September 8 (02:00 UTC on September 9) to the south of Houston as a Category 4 hurricane.[4]"

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

Even with a bad road network in Galveston @ the time, 5 day's notice should have been enough time for people to evacuate. Whether they would have recognized the necessity, of course, is another story.

A bad case of "not invented here".
    Yeah, WIKI is where I did some reading! That hurricane would have done damage to Texas City where I grew up too. But it was probably a really small town back then, I should look that up. In my OP I posted that small map that showed how they drew hurricane charts back then. Thanks for adding to the thread.

Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    At Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston. He was a Union soldier in the 31st Massachusetts Infantry. Made Galveston his home sometime after the war and died in the 1900 storm. Neither of my pictures of the gravestone would upload.

John C Seidenstricker (1842-1900) - Find A Grave Memorial

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bdtex For This Useful Post:

potlatch (09-14-2020)

Truth Seeker, Alumni, V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtex View Post
    At Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston. He was a Union soldier in the 31st Massachusetts Infantry. Made Galveston his home sometime after the war and died in the 1900 storm. Neither of my pictures of the gravestone would upload.

John C Seidenstricker (1842-1900) - Find A Grave Memorial

I did a 'copy and paste' but it may not stay showing long.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

bdtex (09-15-2020)

Thread Information