King of PublishingFrequent PosterActivity Award
    Overall activity: 100.0%

Thanks

Rod Dreher: Pink Terror Mailbag.2

Pink Terror Mailbag.2

July 31, 2020
    Rod Dreher

A reader [of Rod Dreher's columns] writes:

Iím a long time reader, and to be honest I always thought you were a little over the top, although I enjoy your writing and perspective. I no longer think youíre exaggerating the threat we face.

Iím happy for you to share anonymized excerpts of this email, but please do not share my name, the specific industry Iím in, or anything else that could be connected to me other than the city. Iíve used [] to indicate things I especially donít want shared. Iím sure I would be fired for sending you this. [Note from Rod: I have put ďdeletedĒ inside the bracketed information.]

I have a PhD from [deleted] and Iím in a senior role at [deleted] firm in Washington DC; I specialize in our [deleted]. Iíve been highly successful ó in 3.5 years with the company Iíve gotten a raise or promotion every 6 months. Iím well respected and I now run my own team. Despite this, I have no doubt if my political beliefs were public I would be fired instantly.

When I interviewed with this company, I was asked point blank if I could ďput my political beliefs asideĒ to do unbiased [work in this field], because I had previously worked for a Koch organization. For years I have routinely heard my Roman Catholic faith and my politics (libertarian-GOP) mocked. To be clear, no one knows about my beliefs because they assume everyone is a far leftist. People (including executives) hate-watched the Kavanaugh hearings in the office during the workday; people loudly proclaim their hatred for Trump, Kavanaugh, Barr, etc. The one openly GOP/Trump guy in the office is roundly attacked and mocked daily. These people are so sure everyone agrees with them that many times, they have ranted to me about their hatred of Trump, Kavanaugh, Barr, and even Koch (my former employer), assuming I agree.

Even with all that, I spent enough time in higher education to put up with intolerance towards me (and my libertarian side ends up causing me to agree with the left on enough issues to provide cover without lying). Iíve enjoyed the work and the success of the last several years. I didnít become truly scared until the last couple months. In that time, weíve been encouraged by our HR executive and other C-level executives to take a free day off to protest, and to donate to BLM and similar radical leftist groups (not even the UNCF, the NAACP or similar). Of course, they have also promoted all the same ďanti-racistĒ stuff youíve pointed out from Baylor and other orgs recently. Over and over it has been affirmed since May that either you support these specific organizations/principles or you donít belong at the company.

Our HR exec said in a company wide meeting that we have been prioritizing hiring on the basis of race and will continue to do so, and that moving forward, people will be assigned to interview candidates based on the race of the interviewer and interviewee. This is all obviously illegal. Did I mention that my company is more than 50 percent female and is only 55 percent White? So whatís the problem? Itís that we have relatively few Black colleagues (about 10 percent) but many Chinese, Korean, and Indian colleagues. (Note that the logical outcome is that ďdiversityĒ means that every organization has slightly more Black members than the population as a wholeÖnot sure the math works out).

Our CHRO and CEO pointed out that whole we have special social/activism groups at work for Blacks, Women, LGBTQ, there are likely other groups that could be formed. They are asking for suggestions. Should I suggest Men in [deleted], or Company Republicans? Catholics? Christians? Only if I want to be fired. And remember, even without these clubs, this is a very leftist company that is overwhelmingly welcoming and even biased towards women, LGBT, racial/ethnic minorities, etc. The only people who are unwelcome are White Christians/Republicans. So what are we even trying to ďfixĒ?

For the first time in my life, Iím truly scared ó for myself and my family, and for the country. For now, Iíll continue to try and keep my head down but I donít know how long it can last.

Thanks for your writing, and for reading this.
    This is really happening. Conservative readers, do not be gaslighted by liberals and progressives who say weíre exaggerating, or that itís canít really be happening because thatís not how people on the left operate. No, not all of the left operates this way. But itís happening in more and more places. I think itís important to print these accounts because people who are in the disfavored demographic groups, as well as conservatives, need to be aware of the emerging environment.

I am thinking about the time at a journalism conference over a decade ago that I spoke to the publisher of a major newspaper about something provocative his newspaper had published ó something that struck me as gratuitously insulting to social and religious conservatives. He told me that if his newspaper lost readers over it, that would be fine with him, because ďwe donít need bigots for readers.Ē Even though this approach stood to cost his publication readers (this in a time when all newspapers were hemorrhaging readers), he didnít care. He believed it was morally correct.

It is easy for me to believe what the reader above says, because as a journalist, I have spent most of my career in professional milieux that are overwhelmingly liberal. The epistemic closure in those workplaces has been just about as severe as the reader reports in his workplace. The people who work there canít imagine that any decent people would disagree with them, and because they like those with whom they work, they assume that everybody shares their views. Once at the New York Post, a colleague told me, ďFor a right-wing religious nut, youíre pretty cool.Ē She was paying me a compliment, and I took it as such, but it was true that I was the only openly religious person in the entire newsroom (or at least the only one identified as a religious conservative), and she was confessing, in a veiled way, that she was surprised to discover that religious conservatives could be pleasant, even fun, people.

I get that in past eras, other minorities ó racial minorities, religious minorities, atheists, gays, and others ó felt excluded and closeted, or semi-closeted, in the workplace. I think that was generally wrong, and Iím grateful that those practices have fallen into disfavor. But itís not progress when one set of bigotries have been replaced with another set. (And by the way, if you are one of those commenters who is planning to say, ďYou right-wingers have it coming,Ē save your effort, because Iím not going to post it.) If I were the manager of this readerís company, and I knew that the workplace environment was such that some employees felt coerced and afraid because of their minority status, I would be ashamed, and would work to reform the company.

But we know that is never going to happen, because Human Resources departments always move the ethos of companies in one direction: to the left.

Hereís another letter I received from a reader, this one in response to my ďQuiet FuryĒ post, in which I noted results of the new Cato Institute survey finding that a shocking number of people on both the left believe people should be fired for donating to Donald Trump, and a lesser (but still shocking) number on the right believe people should be fired for donating money to Joe Biden. The reader wrote to say that he knows itís wrong, but based on how he has been treated in academia, he understands the desire to see leftists ground down. The readerís first letter was very detailed and specific. When I asked him if I could publish it, the reader, whose name I know, said that no, it would get him and others who helped him in trouble. I edited the letter to obscure these identifying details. The reader has approved this version for publication:

Iím a graduate student and a Catholic. This is my second program, as I left voluntarily from my previous graduate program. I was there nearly two years at great cost of wealth and time and I lost it all. Chock full of naivete, I had made the mistake of writing a term paper taking a philosophical position that violated a particular left-wing orthodoxy. I took a position that is not terribly controversial outside of academia, but apparently nuclear inside that particular university. My work was attacked from within the department, based on the supposed intolerability of my position. Though I found some faculty support, the ordeal left me deeply depressed, desperate, and almost suicidal. Were it not for a traditional Catholic fear of rational suicide and some particular attention by my family, thereís an even chance I would have gone through with it. I was so constantly on my guard and paranoid that my health, already fragile, deteriorated. All the jibes, snide comments, put-downs, or disingenuous representations of my points were wrapped in a veneer of professional courtesy and concern. When I finally changed to a different topic to try and save my grade, I just didnít care anymore. I wrote an even worse paper, failed the class, and was glad to be free of the department. Certainly not my finest hour, by any means.

My new university was, at first, a breath of fresh air. I should stop here and mention that I am physically disabled and racially mixed. I should be a winner in the Woke Olympics. But, Iím also Catholic, male, and closeted as a conservative. All this is relevant because no sooner had I started at my new school than I faced a political inquisition in a hallwayĖan undergraduate took me to task when I merely declined to indicate support for [a left-wing politician]. He did it right there in front of some of my classmates, who were clearly uncomfortable but wisely remained silent.
    The reader gives another anecdote, which I canít summarize without giving away too many particularities. He goes on:

This is the world progressives in academia have created.

Source: Pink Terror Mailbag.2 | The American Conservative
    So let us stop talkin' falsely now
    The hour's getting late -- Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oceander For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-01-2020),Daily Bread (08-01-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    The groundwork for this was laid out in the 80s when companies were forced to report percentages of groups and yearly reports were sent from company HRs to the feds to check adherence . I operated a Long Island sector for my company and had to send in a annual report with how many Alaskan Inuits I had in my employ . Obviously none but somewhere in the country they had to hire one to hit the percentage required by the feds . The typical Marxist "plans" have a 10-20,or 50 year plan as a target as it knows that during its innocent conception the people that adhered to reporting are no longer around to bring the tracking and other things the left side does to reach its final product .
    The 50 year program is coming to fruition . Now they are joining forces and will put together their puzzle and force us to adhere
    Last edited by Daily Bread; 08-01-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    ​Paladin Paladin Where Do You Roam

America's Enemy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daily Bread For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-01-2020)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Thanks
    Rod grew up only 10 miles from my hometown .
    Love him or hate him, he's one of the best writers I've ever encountered.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-01-2020),Oceander (08-01-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First Class31 days registered
    Awards:
    King of PublishingFrequent PosterActivity Award
    Overall activity: 100.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    Rod grew up only 10 miles from my hometown .
    Love him or hate him, he's one of the best writers I've ever encountered.
    I like reading his stuff. That's why I tend to post some of it here.
    So let us stop talkin' falsely now
    The hour's getting late -- Jimi Hendrix

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oceander For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (08-01-2020)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceander View Post
    I like reading his stuff. That's why I tend to post some of it here.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Oceander (08-01-2020)

Thread Information