User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AK Iron Sight Upgrade - but does it HOLD ZERO?

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points7 days registered
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I can see, (in the year 2000), a heavy caliber (25 and up) springer with a leverage based crank ratchet to cock a high energy spring.

That said, I find PCP's to be the future.

The new Marauder is semi auto!!!

Air rifles are really a different animal compared to powder burners.

Also-I'd argue we need an airgun thread, and it should be in guns, and not survival.
    No doubt PCPs are here to stay. I haven't made the leap yet myself. I'm kind of fond of the "simpliciy" of springers. And with my habit of going big, or going home; I could easily put a hurting on my bank account if I went to "the darkside". But there are a couple that certainly have my attention. Like this baby right here. Full auto!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bastion For This Useful Post:

US Conservative (08-01-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastion View Post
    How much more velocity? In order to offer a suggestion I'd have to know what your current rifle is doing. Chrony results... While there is a current trend amongst marketing departments to advertise blistering FPS ratings on their rifles; the reality is that most rifles don't live up to those claims. Those numbers are usually achieved by using alloy pellets. And I haven't found an alloy pellet that my rifles like yet. But even those that come close can run into "problems". Namely accuracy. The aerodynamic properties of the typical diabolo pellet shape lend themselves to their greatest accuracy at speeds somewhere between 750-850 FPS. That's usually where your best accuracy is going to be had. My Diana 350, 48, and 54 are all very powerful, and accurate. My TX is my most accurate. Almost boringly accurate. But it lacks the power of the aforementioned German rifles.
    I'm kind of a velocity nut and both feral cats and skunks are hard to kill. With Skunks in particular you really want a clean, quick death with a head or spine shot to prevent them from dumping their scent gland while expiring.

That being the case I'd like to find something that is very accurate at 1,200fps or higher with a .22 or .25 cal lead/allow pellet if I can.

Shots on skunks and cats can easily exceed 50yds so more mass and velocity are necessary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    I'm kind of a velocity nut and both feral cats and skunks are hard to kill. With Skunks in particular you really want a clean, quick death with a head or spine shot to prevent them from dumping their scent gland while expiring.

That being the case I'd like to find something that is very accurate at 1,200fps or higher with a .22 or .25 cal lead/allow pellet if I can.

Shots on skunks and cats can easily exceed 50yds so more mass and velocity are necessary.
    You might have to go with a PCP, and shoot slugs to achieve those kinds of speeds, and maintain consistent accuracy at those ranges. I can ring my 6 inch gongs at 100 yards consistently with my Dianas. And at the high 700's in FPS, the pellet is just a flat wafer after striking the gong. Not sure how it would do on something like a skunk at 50 Yards...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bastion For This Useful Post:

US Conservative (08-01-2020),WildRose (08-02-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Thanks
    No doubt PCPs are here to stay. I haven't made the leap yet myself. I'm kind of fond of the "simpliciy" of springers. And with my habit of going big, or going home; I could easily put a hurting on my bank account if I went to "the darkside". But there are a couple that certainly have my attention. Like this baby right here. Full auto!

I've always noted that an auto PCP would kill it for most of my needs.

For me its ground squirrel to 80-100 yards. Most at 34-50 yards.
    Semi auto is the most practical, but a burst would probably be better, and its still cheap to shoot.

Some of us need to understand why a supersonic pellet is a problem.

They might think its a powder burner.
    Last edited by US Conservative; 08-01-2020 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I've always noted that an auto PCP would kill it for most of my needs.

For me its ground squirrel to 80-100 yards. Most at 34-50 yards.
    Semi auto is the most practical, but a burst would probably be better, and its still cheap to shoot.

Some of us need to understand why a supersonic pellet is a problem.

They might think its a powder burner.
    The problem with Supersonic pellets of the Diabolo variety, which is the typical form were used to seeing, is that they are front heavy, and stabilized by drag. Like a shuttlecock. Accelerating the Diabolo form To supersonic speeds destabilizes its flight characteristics. Like forcing a bi-plane to mach one. It would become increasingly unstable up to the point that it would just be torn apart. There are "slugs" out there for air rifles; but I only ever hear of them being used in PCPs.
    Last edited by Bastion; 08-01-2020 at 05:23 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bastion For This Useful Post:

US Conservative (08-01-2020)

Thanks
    The problem with Supersonic pellets of the Diabolo variety, which is the typical form were used to seeing, is that they are front heavy, and stabilized by drag. Like a shuttlecock. Accelerating the Diabolo form To supersonic speeds destabilizes its flight characteristics. Like forcing a bi-plane to mach one. It would become increasingly unstable up to the point that it would just be torn apart. There are "slugs" out there for air rifles; but I only ever hear of them being used in PCPs.
    Yes and the diabolo shape is highly disrupted by the speed of sound.

Circular area probable is reduced by shooting sub sonic pellets.

Thanks
    Your bi-plane to mach one analogy is spot on.

Shoot smarter not harder!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

Bastion (08-01-2020)

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registeredCreated Album pictures
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post

Traditional pellets do not do well at supersonic velocities.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

WildRose (08-02-2020)

Thanks
    You might have to go with a PCP, and shoot slugs to achieve those kinds of speeds, and maintain consistent accuracy at those ranges. I can ring my 6 inch gongs at 100 yards consistently with my Dianas. And at the high 700's in FPS, the pellet is just a flat wafer after striking the gong. Not sure how it would do on something like a skunk at 50 Yards...
    Thanks, I'll look into them.

Skunks are really a tough target because their vitals are so close to the ground and really pretty well concentrated within 1.5" of the spine. Remove the hair and it's a really small target especially running away and of course you rarely have more than 10 seconds to get on them before they find a hole or get behind other cover.
    Last edited by WildRose; 08-02-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Traditional pellets do not do well at supersonic velocities.
    Definitely true. That's why I shoot the pointed variety.

Thread Information