Thread: Definitions....

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 65.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    I think the dilemma Mr. Quark finds himself in is that the First Amendment refers to "petition". The proper definition of "Petition" is to make or present a formal request to an authority with respect to a particular cause. I could find no definition that defined petition as the the burning down of businesses, rioting or looting. I would allow that peacefully marching and carrying signs requesting certain actions would qualify as a petition. I am not so sure if rioting and looting would. But what the hay, I'm not a constitution scholar like so many on these forums seem to be.
    The founders used the word "peaceably to assemble" because they knew what a riots was as do we. It is also true that at the time political tracts would be written and mass published by pamphleting like Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" 1775-76. They would not recognize what we are seeing today including the blocking of roadways, occupations, defacing property, ect.....by alleged peaceful protestors.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- Ronald Reagan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Quark (06-30-2020)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I think people avoid arguments by saying, "Define your terms," or those who saying ridiculous things like, "It all depends on what the meaning of is is," should be riding a rail.

However, words matter. For example, we've been told, often, that cloth masks must be washed after every use and disposable masks must be thrown away after every use or they're more dangerous than going commando. But, what's a "use"? I see people, who I consider insane, driving cars alone wearing a mask. If they go for a ride is that a "use"? How about if I walk my dog at six in the morning and don't get closer than six feet from anyone, is that a "use"? Basically, what in the hell is a "use"?
    And then there "protest" as the Constitutions recognizes our right to protest, although it doesn't. What is a "protest"? Is standing in a park listening to speeches a "protest"? Is blocking a bridge for three hours and not allowing people to go to work or to go home from work a "protest"? How about smashing windows and stealing stuff? Is that a "protest"? Or, dragging an old man out of his car and beating him. Is that a "protest"? And then there are burning buildings. For liberals, all of these are "protests" but not for me. Perhaps we should have a general definition of "protests" so CNN and the NYT can quit making fools of themselves.

And then there's "mostly" as in the protests were "mostly" peaceful. Chicago was "mostly" quiet over Fathers' Day Weekend with 102 shootings and 15 deaths. Ted Bundy was mostly a good date. He only killed 35 or so. No, we need a definition covering the use of "mostly".

Style manuals used to do this but they're been taken over by Democrats.
    The parallels with 1930's Germany are striking. Unfortunately, the youth of today haven't a clue as to recent world history...and...more and more of that history is being destroyed so only what Leftists feed them is their "history".
    Good journey, Rickity!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (06-29-2020),Quark (06-30-2020),WarriorRob (06-30-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    The founders used the word "peaceably to assemble..."
    Actually the First Amendment says...
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Now only using Los Angeles as an example of the Black Lives Matters marxist and their snowflake supporters.

There was no government on the 110 freeway when violence broke out, just commuters in their cars.

There was no government to petition on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills, just private property that was vandalized and businesses that were looted in the name of Black Lives Matters.

There was no government to petition on Santa Monica Promenade just private property that was vandalized and businesses that were looted.

Black Lives Matter is a marxist violent criminal syndicate.

The meaning and definition of words when the Constitution was written. ->
    http://webstersdictionary1828.com/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to APACHERAT For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (06-30-2020),Quark (06-30-2020),US Conservative (06-30-2020),WarriorRob (06-30-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Rivers View Post
    The parallels with 1930's Germany are striking. Unfortunately, the youth of today haven't a clue as to recent world history...and...more and more of that history is being destroyed so only what Leftists feed them is their "history".
    I was thinking the same thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorRob For This Useful Post:

Quark (06-30-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Overall activity: 98.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Actually the First Amendment says...
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Now only using Los Angeles as an example of the Black Lives Matters marxist and their snowflake supporters.

There was no government on the 110 freeway when violence broke out, just commuters in their cars.

There was no government to petition on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills, just private property that was vandalized and businesses that were looted in the name of Black Lives Matters.

There was no government to petition on Santa Monica Promenade just private property that was vandalized and businesses that were looted.

Black Lives Matter is a marxist violent criminal syndicate.

The meaning and definition of words when the Constitution was written. ->
    http://webstersdictionary1828.com/
    And BLM is a democrat party front group.

When people donate to them-it goes directly to democrat coffers.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (06-30-2020),Northern Rivers (06-30-2020),Quark (06-30-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    It's covered by the First Amendment. You can gather, speak, and petition for redress of grievances.

However note the word "petition" specifically implies a polite protest - it is a request rather than a demand.
    Peacefully assemble and a redress of grievances is NOT a protest. There is no right to protest anything peacefully or otherwise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    It's right below the section that recognizes the right to have an abortion. You can't find it? I think it's close to the part that says the feds can make everyone wear jockey shorts and bras if they want to.
    Right on!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk! View Post
    It's in the first amendment were it outlines the right to peaceful Assembly.

That's still not a right to protest.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    I think the dilemma Mr. Quark finds himself in is that the First Amendment refers to "petition". The proper definition of "Petition" is to make or present a formal request to an authority with respect to a particular cause. I could find no definition that defined petition as the the burning down of businesses, rioting or looting. I would allow that peacefully marching and carrying signs requesting certain actions would qualify as a petition. I am not so sure if rioting and looting would. But what the hay, I'm not a constitution scholar like so many on these forums seem to be.
    You have it right on the button. I've peacefully assembled with like minded people in the past to testify to committees at our state legislature, Congressional sub-committees, city meetings, town halls, with representatives and senators in public meetings and not a one of them was a protest of any kind. That's what the 1st Amendment is all about NOT protesting anything in the streets not matter what the cause. Just recently they had a protest both for and against George Floyd up at our capital and in order to do that a parade permit had to be obtained. Without the permit no parade/protest. One doesn't need a permit to peacefully assemble and petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    Nah, you guys are splitting hairs.

Public property is PUBLIC property.

If they permit one person to walk on a sidewalk, then everyone can do it.

The city certainly permits one person to hang out in the public square in front of the mayor's office, therefore they have to let everyone do it.

Do you seriously believe that anyone with a grievance against a city is going to ask that very same city for a permit to air the grievance?

Thread Information