User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Practice Clearing A Failure To Feed?

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks

How To Practice Clearing A Failure To Feed?

I'm basically a revolver guy but only because I don't trust semi-autos enough to carry one with no back up. Actually, I don't trust MYSELF to be able to clear a jam quickly in a life and death situation. I KNOW how to, it's just that I need practice - which leads me to my question...

How do you practice clearing failures? You'd have to use caps I'm sure but how do you set up a jam INTENTIONALLY? Or is there no way to really practice?

(I have a feeling this is a very dumb question and I'll be sorry I asked when someone answers, but what the heck )
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 06-06-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

"For the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God..." 1Thess.4:16

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SharetheHedge For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (06-06-2020),Quark (06-06-2020)

Venator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    tap rack bang (unless it's a double feed)
    Last edited by Lone Gunman; 06-06-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Μολών λαβέ

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lone Gunman For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-06-2020),HawkTheSlayer (06-06-2020),SharetheHedge (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    tap rack bang

Aren't there at least 2 types of jams where you have to drop the mag first?
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"For the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God..." 1Thess.4:16

2020 --> TRUMP! Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Pistol Malfunction Clearance

A flag worth dying for is a flag worth protecting.
    IN TRUMP I TRUST

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Bird For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-06-2020),HawkTheSlayer (06-06-2020),Lone Gunman (06-06-2020),Quark (06-06-2020),SharetheHedge (06-06-2020)

Venator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    Aren't there at least 2 types of jams where you have to drop the mag first?
    yep, see above.

double feed, mag failure, etc.
    Μολών λαβέ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Gunman For This Useful Post:

SharetheHedge (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    yep, see above.

double feed, mag failure, etc.

I have an impaired grip with my left hand and I don't know if I can hold the mag and rack the slide with that same hand on the 2nd and 3rd types of clear. If I get a carry pistol it will be a DA/SA hammer-strike where the slide is easier to rack but still I don't know if I could?

Venator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    I have an impaired grip with my left hand and I don't know if I can hold the mag and rack the slide with that same hand on the 2nd and 3rd types of clear. If I get a carry pistol it will be a DA/SA hammer-strike where the slide is easier to rack but still I don't know if I could?
    you could experiment with different weights of slide springs, but you'd want to do some serious reliability testing if you went progressively lighter.

as for holding the mag, sometimes it's much easier, and much quicker, to just drop the mag, clear the jam and reload the pistol; you see that in competition sometimes.
    Μολών λαβέ

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lone Gunman For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (06-06-2020),Quark (06-06-2020),SharetheHedge (06-06-2020)

2020 --> TRUMP! Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    I'm basically a revolver guy but only because I don't trust semi-autos enough to carry one with no back up. Actually, I don't trust MYSELF to be able to clear a jam quickly in a life and death situation. I KNOW how to, it's just that I need practice - which leads me to my question...

How do you practice clearing failures? You'd have to use caps I'm sure but how do you set up a jam INTENTIONALLY? Or is there no way to really practice?

(I have a feeling this is a very dumb question and I'll be sorry I asked when someone answers, but what the heck )
    I prefer revolvers also but they're not as comfortable to carry all day as a small light auto.
    Also, I've jammed a revolver before with one of my crappy reloads where a primer backed out a little and locked up the cylinder. If that ever happens you'll wish you had a jammed auto to deal with.
    You'd be surprised how much faster you can get an auto restarted with a little practice.
    Come to think of it I've had several "new" auto's fail to go all the way into battery. A little bump on the back of the slide would get it going again. Polishing the feed ramp would usually fix it.

A flag worth dying for is a flag worth protecting.
    IN TRUMP I TRUST

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bird For This Useful Post:

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Some guns have much easier slide pulls than others, for example FNH compared to Sig Sauer no comparison...

I used to not trust pistols either, and I still own revolvers, but pistols are much better now than years ago...Its a question of doing your homework on which pistol has issues and which do not...You can also go into one of the bigger stores, like cabelas and tell them your issue with grip and try a few pistols

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Blog entryOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks

A DA/SA pistol is more difficult to charge (rack) than a striker-fired pistol unless you cock the DA/SA hammer, which I do not recommend.
    I would recommend racking the slide of a full size 9mm Glock 17 or full size 9mm M&P at a gun store and see if you can do it (if you want a small pistol- try racking a Glock 43 9mm or Glock 42 .380). It not, then stick with .38 special revolvers. S&W makes an 8 shot revolver that you can even put a light on. A 5 or 6 shot snubby could be a "New York reload" basically carrying a second gun rather than stopping to reload a revolver. A double barrel shotgun would be a good long gun choice, if your grip is impaired as it is easier to manipulate and still powerful.

I recommend clearing jams with dummy rounds (snap caps) before trying it on a range with live rounds (only with range master's permission/supervision).
    During all malfunction clearing, you must still obey the four rules of firearms safety. Keep the pistol pointed down range or at a safe back stop. All live ammo should be in another room. I like to use my basement for this sort of training. With semi-autos, jams can happen, but they are usually easily cleared.
    If a revolver jams, it is usually unable to function without repair.

You really only need to practice two malfunction clearing drills. The first is setting up a stove pipe jam where the casing is caught in a
    vertical position in the ejection port.

So, you simply ride the slide forward on an empty casing to set up the jam then load a magazine with a few dummy rounds. To clear, you 1. tap up on the magazine to seat it if dislodged. 2. Rack the slide to eject the empty shell casing and load a new round, and 3. get a firing grip and access the situation for a continued threat. This third step is no longer called "bang". I would put dummy rounds in your magazine, so it will act as a normal loaded mag as you clear the jam. If you don't, the empty magazine will hold the slide open. I use AZoom snap caps for practice jams and dry-firing. In the real world, you should do the tap, rack, access drill as soon as you have a stoppage. If it does not solve the problem, then immediately move on to the below double feed clearance drill. Try to do this behind cover and concealment.

The second drill is for double feed jams.

To set this up, put a snap cap in the barrel chamber, then insert a magazine with at least two snap caps in the magazine and let the slide go forward.
    It should then look like the above picture.

To clear it- you can hit the mag release button and rip the magazine out or if this is too difficult because of spring pressure, you can lock the slide back to relieve the spring pressure and then release the magazine. Ideally, you put that magazine in your pocket and use a second magazine to reload because the original magazine could be causing the problem. If you reload with the original magazine, if could just repeat the stoppage.

Okay, so you've got the original magazine out. Now, rack the slide 2-3 times to clear the jam. Now, insert the second magazine (if you only have the one magazine, then make sure the top round is seated properly before insertion) and you have to rack the slide again once to load the pistol. Now, you should be ready to
    deal with any remaining threats. It seems like a lot to do, but with practice, you should be able to do it in a matter of 5-10 seconds.

A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy Round, Snap Cap

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOM-15116-Lu...1536850&sr=8-2

Don

@SharetheHedge
    Last edited by DonGlock26; 06-07-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

-attributed to George Orwell

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DonGlock26 For This Useful Post:

SharetheHedge (06-07-2020)

Thread Information