User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BET founder Robert Johnson calls for $14 trillion of reparations for slavery

Alumni Member and VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Timey-Wimey Wibbly-Wobbly Blue Box Thingy
    Thanks

BET founder Robert Johnson calls for $14 trillion of reparations for slavery

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...avery-n1221376

Robert Johnson, founder of Black Entertainment Television, told CNBC Monday the U.S. government should provide $14 trillion of reparations for slavery to help reduce racial inequality.
    The wealth divide and police brutality against blacks are at the heart of protests that have erupted across the nation following last week’s killing of George Floyd during an arrest in Minneapolis.
    “Now is the time to go big” to keep America from dividing into two separate and unequal societies, Johnson said on “Squawk Box.”
    “Wealth transfer is what’s needed,” he argued. “Think about this. Since 200-plus-years or so of slavery, labor taken with no compensation, is a wealth transfer. Denial of access to education, which is a primary driver of accumulation of income and wealth, is a wealth transfer.”
    Johnson, 74 made history as America’s first black billionaire when he sold BET to Viacom in 2001. Shortly after the sale, he started the investment firm The RLJ Cos. He’s no longer on the Forbes billionaires list.
    Calling reparations the “affirmative action program of all time,” Johnson said they would send the signal that white Americans acknowledge “damages that are owed” for the unequal playing field created by slavery and the decades since with a “wealth transfer to white Americans away from African Americans.”
    “Damages is a normal factor in a capitalist society for when you have been deprived for certain rights,” he said. “If this money goes into pockets like the [coronavirus] stimulus checks ... that money is going to return back to the economy” in the form of consumption. There will also be more black-owned businesses, he added.
    Johnson said the need for reparations has been on his website since last year. “I’m not new to this challenge.” He said he’s not advocating “more bureaucratic programs that don’t deliver and don’t perform.” He stressed, “I’m talking about cash. We are a society based on wealth. That’s the foundation of capitalism.”

{We are supposed to give them our money. You know.....to alleviate our guilt.....ya know because of our skin color.}
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." - Miss Clara

Captain Cold
    : Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

Kenneth Copeland: "Sometimes you can tell what something is by what it isn't."

"So there you go, you're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish squirrel, congratulations." Mr. Garrison

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

NORAD (06-03-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocial

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...avery-n1221376

Robert Johnson, founder of Black Entertainment Television, told CNBC Monday the U.S. government should provide $14 trillion of reparations for slavery to help reduce racial inequality.
    The wealth divide and police brutality against blacks are at the heart of protests that have erupted across the nation following last week’s killing of George Floyd during an arrest in Minneapolis.
    “Now is the time to go big” to keep America from dividing into two separate and unequal societies, Johnson said on “Squawk Box.”
    “Wealth transfer is what’s needed,” he argued. “Think about this. Since 200-plus-years or so of slavery, labor taken with no compensation, is a wealth transfer. Denial of access to education, which is a primary driver of accumulation of income and wealth, is a wealth transfer.”
    Johnson, 74 made history as America’s first black billionaire when he sold BET to Viacom in 2001. Shortly after the sale, he started the investment firm The RLJ Cos. He’s no longer on the Forbes billionaires list.
    Calling reparations the “affirmative action program of all time,” Johnson said they would send the signal that white Americans acknowledge “damages that are owed” for the unequal playing field created by slavery and the decades since with a “wealth transfer to white Americans away from African Americans.”
    “Damages is a normal factor in a capitalist society for when you have been deprived for certain rights,” he said. “If this money goes into pockets like the [coronavirus] stimulus checks ... that money is going to return back to the economy” in the form of consumption. There will also be more black-owned businesses, he added.
    Johnson said the need for reparations has been on his website since last year. “I’m not new to this challenge.” He said he’s not advocating “more bureaucratic programs that don’t deliver and don’t perform.” He stressed, “I’m talking about cash. We are a society based on wealth. That’s the foundation of capitalism.”

{We are supposed to give them our money. You know.....to alleviate our guilt.....ya know because of our skin color.}
    Yeah well that ain't gonna happen

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (06-03-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Arizona most of the year, New Mexico, part.
    Thanks
    What slavery? Slavery was abolished 200 years ago.

Black people just need to get jobs, stop blaming everyone/everything else for their troubles and, basically, STFU about being oppressed and, how its all whitey's fault .
    Last edited by Abbey1; 06-02-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    ~~Never Give Up Control, Live Life On Your Own Terms ~~
    ~~Walter White ~~

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abbey1 For This Useful Post:

donttread (06-02-2020),Hillofbeans (06-02-2020),Knightkore (06-03-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Arizona most of the year, New Mexico, part.
    Thanks
    Don't ya just love how Democrats bend over backwards to prove how now racist they are?
    ~~Never Give Up Control, Live Life On Your Own Terms ~~
    ~~Walter White ~~

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abbey1 For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (06-03-2020),NORAD (06-03-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    First, black citizens are not denied education...in fact special consideration has been given them to receive aid and requiring less accomplishment in HS to continue education. No public school today keeps any color of skin from attending. If the children do not finish school, it is time to look within their own community and find out why...not blame someone or something else. Attitude??? do the children grow up being told ...you can't do it, you are picked on, others wont let you succeed, you wont be able to get a job etc....

Second, unemployed numbers last year ...for blacks and other minorities...were the highest recorded. Did any "black" leader go on for an interview to say...we are doing better than ever before, keep up moving forward....or get on the negate and call our President foul names???

Third, fatherless children is apparently just the accepted way of life, since they have the highest numbers. Who among their leaders is telling them all...that is not acceptable?

Fourth, it is way past time for people in this nation to identify themselves by skin color or some national heritage of their forefathers. Think instead, if everyone identified themselves as ....American....the big change in tone, across the nation.

Are we Americans or going to continue to be more and more divided???

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goodpen For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (06-03-2020)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocialTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    ummmm... already paid. America check your wallet. Since the mid 60s, we have been paying reparations through every channel imaginable..... business, welfare, school funding, extra points for higher education qualification, cost of prisons, you name it. It was a good thing to do for a while. Time to move to phase 2... called GET YOUR HEAD OUT YO ASS.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 06-02-2020 at 07:21 PM.
    Orange man MAGA
    Orange man strong

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (06-02-2020),Knightkore (06-03-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Well, good luck asking for your reparations.

The country will go bankrupt before that even happens.
    Last edited by Mr. Independent; 06-02-2020 at 07:26 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Independent For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (06-03-2020)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocialTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Independent View Post
    Well, good luck asking for your reparations.

The country will go bankrupt before that even happens.
    those who have the least invested couldn't care less.
    Orange man MAGA
    Orange man strong

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey1 View Post
    What slavery? Slavery was abolished 200 years ago.

Black people just need to get jobs, stop blaming everyone/everything else for their troubles and, basically, STFU about being oppressed and, how its all whitey's fault .

there might be a little more to it than that , the neighborhood impact etc, but you have the gist of it.
    I would add that black kids without dads matter.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (06-03-2020)

Thanks
    Lets do some guestimations here. About 1 in 7 Americans is black ( I'm not sure how black you have to be to qualify) but somewhere around 14% is the number I keep hearing.
    So if we assume 330 million people we are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 47 million blacks. Divide 14 trillion by 47 million and you get..... around 300 thousand dollars a piece. Over a million for a family of four. Many of these families would become, however briefly, richer than the people paying for this. But money given is not the same as money earned and would drive inflation, scams, random ways to blow money and many would wind up back in the projects within a generation. Except the country would have all that debt. These number are not intended to be anywhere near precise in fact the only one I even bothered with a calculator for is the amount per person. But I believe them to be close enough for a rough comparison.
    Unless I have added a zero somewhere this number also serves to show just how vast our national debt is, roughly 67,000.00 for every man, woman and child in the country!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Thread Information