User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dead battery

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Thanks
    i put a battery disconnect on all my vehicles as they all sit idle for various lengths of time, and it also makes them hard to steal...

i like these with a removable "key"....

i re-route the battery cables so it appears everything is normal.
    "The nose, knows"
    #walkaway

"Drag them out and string them up!!!"
    @me...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (05-22-2020),Jim Scott (05-22-2020),Lone Gunman (05-22-2020),ruthless terrier (05-22-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 92.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    i put a battery disconnect on all my vehicles as they all sit idle for various lengths of time, and it also makes them hard to steal...

i like these with a removable "key"....

i re-route the battery cables so it appears everything is normal.
    So if I wanted to hook the ignition switch to 220V to discourage liberal voters will that little doodad handle high voltage?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Foghorn For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (05-22-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    The thorn stuff is irrelevant. The Free Dictionary has: [Middle English, iron rim of a wheel, probably from tir, attire, short for atire, from attiren, to attire; see attire.] The "probably" indicates speculation. My version of the OED gives the first written occurrence of "tyre" as 1796 but says "tire" and "tyre" occurred indifferently in the 15th century. The real reason for the British use of the fancy 'y' is to differentiate themselves from the disloyal Americans.
    Last edited by tom; 05-22-2020 at 04:54 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tom For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (05-22-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Overall activity: 92.0%

Thanks
    This sounds like a great debate to have after a few cold ones - or warm ones depending upon your locations.

50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    The thorn stuff is irrelevant. The Free Dictionary has: [Middle English, iron rim of a wheel, probably from tir, attire, short for atire, from attiren, to attire; see attire.] The "probably" indicates speculation. My version of the OED gives the first written occurrence of "tyre" as 1796 but says "tire" and "tyre" occurred indifferently in the 15th century. The real reason for the British use of the fancy 'y' is to differentiate themselves from the disloyal Americans.
    I disagree. It was to do with the lack of thorn typecharacter in the new printing presses in 1492, which predates anything you just posted by 300 years.

And the recognised source of English is the Oxford English Dictionary, any other, and especially an internet dictionary, may well be some american cobble together and not an expert source. Even Websters is suspect. We'll stick to the OED if you dont mind.

further digging in the OED reveals tyre was revived in the UK in the 19th century for rubber/pneumatic tyres, possibly because it was used in some patent documents
    Last edited by UKSmartypants; 05-22-2020 at 05:39 PM.

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    i hate technology. Technology is Satans crack whore.

It replaced my EX????

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (05-23-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    We have all had our misadventures with batteries over the years.

This calls Mr. Musk's automotive enterprise into question. Hundreds of well designed battery-electric vehicles have foundered on the rocks of inadequate batteries.

Boats and aircraft have master switches.

50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    We have all had our misadventures with batteries over the years.

This calls Mr. Musk's automotive enterprise into question. Hundreds of well designed battery-electric vehicles have foundered on the rocks of inadequate batteries.

Boats and aircraft have master switches.
    Well ever since they started fooling around with electric cars, ive said theres a killer point. Until an electric car can do 300-400 miles on one charge, and then you can pull into a Recharge station and fill it back up in 5-10 mins, they arent gonna take off. I can drive 1000 miles in one day at a push, but only because i can fill up with petrol twice. In most electric cars that will take you 3 days. What use is that (unless you're retired)?

Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    I disagree. It was to do with the lack of thorn typecharacter in the new printing presses in 1492, which predates anything you just posted by 300 years.

And the recognised source of English is the Oxford English Dictionary, any other, and especially an internet dictionary, may well be some american cobble together and not an expert source. Even Websters is suspect. We'll stick to the OED if you dont mind.

further digging in the OED reveals tyre was revived in the UK in the 19th century for rubber/pneumatic tyres, possibly because it was used in some patent documents
    Yes, dear Mr. @UKSmartypants, I have the micrographic Oxford English Dictionary, the 1971 version of the WHOLE OED. I wonder whether you have ever seen it? I think it was manufactured in the USA for the American market. They now go for $10 at thrift stores because most cannot read it without the inconvenient magnifier, which is included with the two volumes. I, being blessed with nearsightedness, have perfect vision close up and can read it simply by removing my glasses. I have it on the kitchen counter now because I am studying English phrasal verbs. I'm sure you have stuck the thorn character into "tire" -- I'll be polite -- out of lack of awareness of English etymology. You have a thorn in your tyre! So, what is the real etymology of "tire"? Let us speculate and search. Ah, here it is: [Middle English tire, row, rank, from Old French, from tirer, to draw out; see tirade.] Focus on "draw". The metal band on a traditional wooden wheel drew the parts together and held them in place. Thus, ad+tire, attire, and tire. I will yield to your 'tyre' spelling if you can prove that Old French used the 'y'.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    If you aren't driving the car for a long period disconnect the negative battery cable.

If progressives were any more stupid, they would need to be watered twice a week

Thread Information