User Tag List

Thread: Why does television portray ministers this way?

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks

Why does television portray ministers this way?

I am still trying to figure out just why just why ministers are typically portrayed, on television shows, as being milquetoast.

Usually, stereotypes are based upon that which is typical--or, at the very least, frequent.

But it has not been my experience, at all, that it is typical (or even frequent) for ministers to be milquetoast.

At one end of the spectrum, there are the fundamentalists. (No, I am not one.) And these typically are fiery--and therefore, far from milquetoast.

But even those rather far removed from this end of the spectrum do not impress me as being milquetoast.

What do others think?

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    Maybe they are portrayed that way because you can stretch out the story (drama) longer? More or less the same question could be asked about dads/husbands. Every show after the late 60 makes them out to be fools that are out of touch.

If I were to post an ask a question it would be why is the plot to all movies now days have the main thyme to being something in the platform of the democrat party, like global warming., etc..
    Last edited by Old Tex; 05-22-2020 at 02:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

pjohns (05-22-2020)

VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 93.0%

Thanks
    Are you a Clint Eastwood fan? Watch Pale Rider. About as far from "milquetoast" as you can get!

I'm trying to remember how ministers are portrayed. Meek does not always mean weak. Lots of times ministers are shown only in their flock duties, such as performing marriages, etc. In the horror genre, ministers are simply used as a metaphor or representation of God, and the cowering is used to scare us into thinking, knowing that THIS monster is feared by God, so WE should be really really scared. It's part of the scare tactic and horror.

When I did a quick search on IMDB, I didn't find any TV series on ministers or pastors. All they listed were the religious programming of real pastors and ministers.

Maybe you need to post some examples. I don't think any of these fit a "milquetoast" definition.

17 fictional priests who make us hot under the collar | EW.com

Last edited by dinosaur; 05-22-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Post Review / PM Disabled Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Maybe they are portrayed that way because you can stretch out the story (drama) longer? More or less the same question could be asked about dads/husbands. Every show after the late 60 makes them out to be fools that are out of touch.

If I were to post an ask a question it would be why is the plot to all movies down days have the main thyme to being something in the platform of the democrat party, like global warming., etc..
    because Fern Gully has been the mainstay of the greenfreaks platform since day one. evil oil. even though they were selective cutting

50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Thanks
    Ironically, the much-hated leftist PBS gives a favorable portrayal of a priest in the Father Brown mystery series.

50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Thanks
    Obviously they have never shown the English TV sitcom Father Ted in the USA...

I crossed swords with Graham Lineham, one of the writers, once on Twitter. He called me a racist, i had to point out that was a bit rich coming from a guy whos made a living writing a comedy series that takes the piss out of Irish priests.

Thread Information