User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Oranges.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey1 View Post
    What is it, I've never heard of it. What does it look like?
    If you have ever changed a babies diaper that had diarrhea then multiple that smell by 10. Also, it is nasty in texture, slimy and, well just nasty. Filipinos eat it, but they also eat balute. I won't give photo of balute because it is gross. It is a chicken egg that is close to hatching so the baby chicken is already formed, search formed photo at your own risk.

Hard times create strong men.
    Strong men create good times.
    Good times create weak men.
    And, weak men create hard times.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    That's what I buy when I can't pick my own. Think I'll go get me one out of the fridge right now!
    It is not just how good they taste it is also how easy they are to peel. But yeah, they taste amazing.
    Hard times create strong men.
    Strong men create good times.
    Good times create weak men.
    And, weak men create hard times.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    I used to work in a citrus processing plant where they put the juice through an evaporator to make concentrate. I guess some big companies would buy the concentrate and then use it to make orange juice. After all the heat that gets applied to it, it's a wonder if it still has any vitamin C. And what about the inner fiber? Most of it, along with the peeling, gets used to make animal feed. When they made juice, lots of different oranges would get blended together. There are 18 different levels of sweetness. #1 is so bitter you can't eat the orange by itself, but it gets blended in with other sweeter oranges. # 18, which you will never find in a grocery store, is so sweet it tastes like candy. Blending is an art I suppose because you have to end up with just the right sweetness to comply with the nutrition label. Whenever there were not enough sweet oranges to elevate the sweetness to the proper level, the manager of blending would add table sugar, which was against the law. Bags of table sugar were kept locked in cabinets so the state inspectors would never know about it.
    Last edited by Fall River; 05-22-2020 at 01:14 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fall River For This Useful Post:

Kodiak (05-22-2020),Retiredat50 (05-22-2020)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 86.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall River View Post
    I used to work in a citrus processing plant where they put the juice through an evaporator to make concentrate. I guess some big companies would buy the concentrate and then use it to make orange juice. After all the heat that gets applied to it, it's a wonder if it still has any vitamin C. And what about the inner fiber? Most of it, along with the peeling, gets used to make animal feed. When they made juice, lots of different oranges would get blended together. There are 18 different levels of sweetness. #1 is so bitter you can't eat the orange by itself, but it gets blended in with other sweeter oranges. # 18, which you will never find in a grocery store, is so sweet it tastes like candy. Blending is an art I suppose because you have to end up with just the right sweetness to comply with the nutrition label. Whenever there were not enough sweet oranges to elevate the sweetness to the proper level, the manager of blending would add table sugar, which was against the law. Bags of table sugar were kept locked in cabinets so that state inspectors would never know.
    Can't help but wonder how much of that goes on with every processed food we eat or drink.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-23-2020),Retiredat50 (05-22-2020)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Florida is the orange capitol of the world. But I never Florida oranges in the stores here in Florida. So, I was in Publix buying meat I have plenty of fruit including oranges but I always check out fruit and veggies. They had Florida oranges I was so happy I had to buy them even though I have about 10 pounds of oranges already.

So I get home and the first thing I do is cut up a Florida orange eat it. What a complete disappointment. California's oranges are so much better. The Florida oranges are so juicy. Now, you would think a juicy orange would be awesome, it's not. They are all juice and no flesh. I would take a bite and just get a mouthful of juice.

I think that is why I never see Florida oranges, all the oranges in Florida are bred for juicing. I am guessing it is only when they have an overflow that they send them to stores. It makes sense, orange juice is where the profit is, not regular oranges.

Well, that is my rant, from now on I will stick to California oranges. At least California does something right.
    Years back my research said that the oranges of Florida are raised to produce juice. As you found out yourself. CA Oranges are growing now north east of Los Angeles close to the Sierra Nevada Mts. East of Bakersfield as I recall. As a kid, when we went to Los Angeles, oranges were all over the place. Not today of course. i am sure Orange County was named due to orange groves then there. All gone now.
    “Appearances to the mind are of four kinds. Things either are what they appear to be; or they neither are, nor appear to be; or they are, and do not appear to be; or they are not, and yet appear to be. Rightly to aim in all these cases is the wise man's task.” Epictetus

Democrats in congress are like having the Fox construct the hen house then installing the security system.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (05-22-2020)

Thanks
    I used to work in a citrus processing plant where they put the juice through an evaporator to make concentrate. I guess some big companies would buy the concentrate and then use it to make orange juice. After all the heat that gets applied to it, it's a wonder if it still has any vitamin C. And what about the inner fiber? Most of it, along with the peeling, gets used to make animal feed. When they made juice, lots of different oranges would get blended together. There are 18 different levels of sweetness. #1 is so bitter you can't eat the orange by itself, but it gets blended in with other sweeter oranges. # 18, which you will never find in a grocery store, is so sweet it tastes like candy. Blending is an art I suppose because you have to end up with just the right sweetness to comply with the nutrition label. Whenever there were not enough sweet oranges to elevate the sweetness to the proper level, the manager of blending would add table sugar, which was against the law. Bags of table sugar were kept locked in cabinets so the state inspectors would never know about it.
    Was that in Florida?
    “Appearances to the mind are of four kinds. Things either are what they appear to be; or they neither are, nor appear to be; or they are, and do not appear to be; or they are not, and yet appear to be. Rightly to aim in all these cases is the wise man's task.” Epictetus

Democrats in congress are like having the Fox construct the hen house then installing the security system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    They can't grow oranges for juice, so they can't even grow oranges right if as you say the profit is in juice not the fruit.
    LMAO CA Oranges are specifically eating oranges and not managed for juices. They taste very good with enough juice to keep the juice lovers happy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (05-22-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Can't help but wonder how much of that goes on with every processed food we eat or drink.
    Yeah, you just never know. And that's not the worst thing that happened. They would periodically clean out all the juice pipes with lye. (I bet you can guess where this is going.) Once, buy accident, instead of the lye being discarded down the drain, it went into one of the huge juice tanks. Before it could be reported to stop production, it was mixed in with the juice and there it stayed. They said it would be so diluted with juice that it would never harm anyone who drank it.

Processed products are always a risk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Was that in Florida?
    Yes, central Florida. This processing plant was owned by a wealthy business man. When he died his children inherited it and they were not interested in keeping it going. I was torn down and the land was used to build a shopping center. Thousands of acres of orange groves that he owned were sold off too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fall River For This Useful Post:

Robert (05-22-2020)

Thanks
    Yeah, you just never know. And that's not the worst thing that happened. They would periodically clean out all the juice pipes with lye. (I bet you can guess where this is going.) Once, buy accident, instead of the lye being discarded down the drain, it went into one of the huge juice tanks. Before it could be reported to stop production, it was mixed in with the juice and there it stayed. They said it would be so diluted with juice that it would never harm anyone who drank it.

Processed products are always a risk.
    I think had the authority knew that the place would be shut down until in compliance. I myself worked a shift at the former Hunts Food Cannery in Hayward, CA and they seemed to me to be in compliance in CA. I had already put in a full shift as a pile-butt that day in pile driving and drove about 100 miles that day. Hunts never invited me back either, lol. We processed Tomatoes into canned fruit and probably juice as well. Did you know tomatoes are fruit?

Pile butts work as crew on pile drivers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-23-2020)

Thread Information