User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How are your supplies holding out?

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    little low on ammo...i'm down to my last 10k rds.

Well, heck, you're screw'd.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey1 View Post
    No problem getting what we need.

Even before all of this, we had a full freezer and pantry, we had just gone to Costco and bought toilet paper. We buy most of our meat from Costco, also.

We've gone a few times to the store for eggs, milk and fresh produce.

My husband said to me just today, on our way home from Tucson, " this isn't really affecting us at all (financially),it's your anxiety that's getting to you."

Yeah, but calling that kirkland junk from Costco TP is like calling a T-shirt body armour...
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Thanks
    Ok, where to start.

Ordered a freezer from big box hardware store. No status update yet and none expected.

Raided another place I own for freezer and meat.

Gasoline is cheap.

Rice is unavailable
    Pasta is spotty
    Canned tomatoes only at big box stores, you buy what they have.
    Flour, shrimp, burgers
    Ham is scarce

Milk availability good

Potatoes seem to be the forgotten, always available, commodity. I have worked up a wicked Potatoes Au Gratin...

Yellow cheese has been hit or miss.

Toilet paper is down to Costco, might as well use your fingers, tissue paper.

We got 70lbs of Beef/Pork (best pork chops ever)/Chicken from a local processor. Best meat since when I was a kid, and when Grade A meant grain fed. We will probably never go back to the supermarkets.

In summary:
    Have not had to dip into the last ditch emergency rice/pasta/bean supplies, or the local fish, rodents, or vermin. Have not had to tap the 4 year old gasoline supply and deal with the consequences. Probably have a half year's worth of supplies there, and building as we can
    Went thru the TP, but got the crappy (sorry) Costco resupply.

But dammit, I want a McDouble (or three), and two Taco Supreme's and a Burrito Supreme!!!!!!!!!
    Still holding our water, on opening up, while everyone else is jumping in. If there is a second wave, it will start in 2-3 weeks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

US Conservative (05-23-2020)

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 75.0%

Thanks
    I still haven't run out of TP. lol I probably won't have to buy any for another month. I've got plenty of Lysol, alcohol, hand sanitizer, gloves, hospital grade (covid killing) disinfectant. I've barely used any of it. This whole thing was way overblown. We got tricked into tanking the economy. Secretly, the Dems are laffing their hineys off. We'll see about that in November. I hate democrats so badly I want them all dead. I'm a terrible person for saying that. And yet my anger is that deep.
    "Never let a crisis go to waste" -Rahm Emanuel, Clinton operative

FREEDOM takes NO

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (05-23-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    I still haven't run out of TP. lol I probably won't have to buy any for another month. I've got plenty of Lysol, alcohol, hand sanitizer, gloves, hospital grade (covid killing) disinfectant. I've barely used any of it. This whole thing was way overblown. We got tricked into tanking the economy. Secretly, the Dems are laffing their hineys off. We'll see about that in November. I hate democrats so badly I want them all dead. I'm a terrible person for saying that. And yet my anger is that deep.
    I'm right there with ya ....and yes I've asked for forgiveness more times than I can remember for thinking/saying it.
    Last edited by East of the Beast; 05-23-2020 at 08:20 AM.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey1 View Post
    I'm sorry you have to live in California, no decent people should be subjected to that.

I left long ago, before California got like this, my siblings are still there.
    No decent people should be able to Bear Hunt in the Trinity Alps or Fish the Upper Sac or McCloud Rivers or visit Yosemite & Half Dome or hike the Pacific Coast Trail or visit Tahoe or Catalina Island or Palm Desert ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gator Monroe For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocialTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    Ok, where to start.

Ordered a freezer from big box hardware store. No status update yet and none expected.

Raided another place I own for freezer and meat.

Gasoline is cheap.

Rice is unavailable
    Pasta is spotty
    Canned tomatoes only at big box stores, you buy what they have.
    Flour, shrimp, burgers
    Ham is scarce

Milk availability good

Potatoes seem to be the forgotten, always available, commodity. I have worked up a wicked Potatoes Au Gratin...

Yellow cheese has been hit or miss.

Toilet paper is down to Costco, might as well use your fingers, tissue paper.

We got 70lbs of Beef/Pork (best pork chops ever)/Chicken from a local processor. Best meat since when I was a kid, and when Grade A meant grain fed. We will probably never go back to the supermarkets.

In summary:
    Have not had to dip into the last ditch emergency rice/pasta/bean supplies, or the local fish, rodents, or vermin. Have not had to tap the 4 year old gasoline supply and deal with the consequences. Probably have a half year's worth of supplies there, and building as we can
    Went thru the TP, but got the crappy (sorry) Costco resupply.

But dammit, I want a McDouble (or three), and two Taco Supreme's and a Burrito Supreme!!!!!!!!!
    Still holding our water, on opening up, while everyone else is jumping in. If there is a second wave, it will start in 2-3 weeks.
    you probably have this taken care of but I'll mention it anyhow. I'm only doing shelf-stable foods. I initially focused on protein. After I knew I had enough, I then focused on veggies and carbs with bulk. And after that, I realized that I was still short on calories and fats. We normally try to avoid fatty things but that's because there is normally so much of it, getting enough is not a problem. But when stocking up with nutrition in mind, fats are easily overlooked. So with protein and carbs and bulk taken care of, I'm now trying to fill some fat gaps with everything from olive oil, canola oil, cocoa butter, peanut butter, shelf-stable butter, etc. Fats have the shortest shelf life but it should at least last a year.

if you are using a freezer, shelf life shouldn't be a big issue for you but you may still want to do some arithmetic to see that you have enough of the different types of nutrition.
    Orange man MAGA
    Orange man strong

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Ishmael View Post
    you probably have this taken care of but I'll mention it anyhow. I'm only doing shelf-stable foods. I initially focused on protein. After I knew I had enough, I then focused on veggies and carbs with bulk. And after that, I realized that I was still short on calories and fats. We normally try to avoid fatty things but that's because there is normally so much of it, getting enough is not a problem. But when stocking up with nutrition in mind, fats are easily overlooked. So with protein and carbs and bulk taken care of, I'm now trying to fill some fat gaps with everything from olive oil, canola oil, cocoa butter, peanut butter, shelf-stable butter, etc. Fats have the shortest shelf life but it should at least last a year.

if you are using a freezer, shelf life shouldn't be a big issue for you but you may still want to do some arithmetic to see that you have enough of the different types of nutrition.
    I was big into sports nutrition in my younger days. I damn near know the calorie count and nutrition value for any food available in the late 70's and many since then.

It was interesting watching the last season of Alone (survival show in the arctic) where a guy arrowed a moose, and caught some big fish but nearly starved to death for lack of fat (a wolverine stole his bucket of moose fat, he later killed the wolverine), crazy.

We have lots of canned vegies, but since they last we are working thru the frozen ones first.
    I had the wife pick up a bunch of cooking oil just before the shit hit the fan, she thought of the peanut butter.
    Also have vitamins. People always forget those in survival situations.

Coolest thing is that within 10 days we should have first greens and radishes from the garden.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (Yesterday),US Conservative (Yesterday)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocialTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    I was big into sports nutrition in my younger days. I damn near know the calorie count and nutrition value for any food available in the late 70's and many since then.

It was interesting watching the last season of Alone (survival show in the arctic) where a guy arrowed a moose, and caught some big fish but nearly starved to death for lack of fat (a wolverine stole his bucket of moose fat, he later killed the wolverine), crazy.

We have lots of canned vegies, but since they last we are working thru the frozen ones first.
    I had the wife pick up a bunch of cooking oil just before the shit hit the fan, she thought of the peanut butter.
    Also have vitamins. People always forget those in survival situations.

Coolest thing is that within 10 days we should have first greens and radishes from the garden.
    got lots of things on my to-do list. I like to grow plants but have not recently. Given that I have some food, my efforts towards growing plants will be directed at indoor medicinal herbs. I love the LED full spectrum lights. Before LEDs the power required to get full spectrum reasonable intensity lighting even for a few square feet would have been prohibitively high in a tertiary stage of SHTF living.

But I can appreciate the taste of food pulled right out of the ground. Beets, radishes, carrots, and of course the plants like squash. But I gotta pick and choose my activities. Still working 40 hours a week.
    Orange man MAGA
    Orange man strong

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Ishmael View Post
    got lots of things on my to-do list. I like to grow plants but have not recently. Given that I have some food, my efforts towards growing plants will be directed at indoor medicinal herbs. I love the LED full spectrum lights. Before LEDs the power required to get full spectrum reasonable intensity lighting even for a few square feet would have been prohibitively high in a tertiary stage of SHTF living.

But I can appreciate the taste of food pulled right out of the ground. Beets, radishes, carrots, and of course the plants like squash. But I gotta pick and choose my activities. Still working 40 hours a week.
    I have minions...

Thread Information