User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Price and quality

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I'll just throw this out. On just about every list that I have ever seen on how the rich are different one thing keeps being listed. The rich pay more up front for items that will last longer. In other words they pay for quality & when it lasts longer they don't have to buy it again so they save money in the long run.
    Well, I am certainly not rich. But I do--very much--believe in purchasing quality upfront.

I just do not believe that it always requires a greater initial outlay. (Sometimes, yes; but not always.)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I've found that you can almost always get something cheaper if time is on your side. By that I mean if you have to replaces something today (say a washer) then your going to pay the going rate today. But if you want to replace (again a washer) at sometime in the future then you can wait until a big sale is going on & buy it at as discount. I did that with my washer & dryer & paid about 45% less than the going rate. And the funny part is that after the sale was over the prices went up on the W & D that I bought so I really saved about 60% on them.
    This is true.

Another way to save on a major appliance is to consider store brands--which are almost always made by a major manufacturer. (For instance, Sears' Kenmore appliances used to be made by Whirlpool; now, I believe, Sears has contracts with both LG and Samsung to make their appliances.)

Apparently, you really did save that 60 percent, judging from what you have said. However, whenever a store advertises a certain percentage off, I always inquire as to whether that is the amount off the price that they ordinarily sell it for--or just off SRP (MSRP for automobiles). (The latter is a totally useless, made-up number.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (05-06-2020)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    Well, I am certainly not rich. But I do--very much--believe in purchasing quality upfront.

I just do not believe that it always requires a greater initial outlay. (Sometimes, yes; but not always.)

This is true.

Another way to save on a major appliance is to consider store brands--which are almost always made by a major manufacturer. (For instance, Sears' Kenmore appliances used to be made by Whirlpool; now, I believe, Sears has contracts with both LG and Samsung to make their appliances.)

Apparently, you really did save that 60 percent, judging from what you have said. However, whenever a store advertises a certain percentage off, I always inquire as to whether that is the amount off the price that they ordinarily sell it for--or just off SRP (MSRP for automobiles). (The latter is a totally useless, made-up number.)
    Your post got me thinkin'...

When I took those Share Market classes...one of the FIRST things thrown at me was exactly that. People think it's "money" that is the main outlay...as I believed. It's not. The real outlay is intellect and understanding of the whole investment paradigm. That's why I've been ahead...I "learned".

Knowledge is everything. Applying your own expertise in a certain area will help you if you stay with stocks in which you can understand the functions and outlooks of that particular industry.
    Last edited by Northern Rivers; 05-06-2020 at 04:36 AM.
    Good journey, Rickity!

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillofbeans View Post
    I had a pair of red wings last for 3 years so I know what you're saying.
    I prefer Timberland

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks

Pjohns good point about the MSRP. In my case it was a black Friday sale on the 2nd best (or best, I can't remember) W & D set that they sold. They were marked way down. They didn't have them in stock so it took about 2 weeks for them to arrive & be installed. Shortly afterward we happened to be in the store (about 2 weeks after that) & saw that there had been a price increase on them. We ended up paying less for the pair than the new price of the washer. It was a great deal & we haven't had a single problem with them. The sale was at Home Depot btw. And I'll add the the delivery guys did a great job installing them. They were even able to stack them even though there was only about an inch to spare from the ceiling.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

pjohns (05-06-2020)

Thread Information