User Tag List

Thread: COVID-19 outbreak in Libya could be 'catastrophic' for migrants

Green eyed monster V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocialTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Thanks

COVID-19 outbreak in Libya could be 'catastrophic' for migrants

An outbreak of the coronavirus in Libya could be "truly catastrophic" for the internally displaced people (IDP) and close to 700,000 refugees and migrants in the war-torn country, the United Nations migration agency has warned.
    Libya has so far reported 17 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, including one death. It has enforced a nationwide curfew from 2pm to 7am and prohibited intercity travel to curb the spread of the virus that has infected more than a million people worldwide and killed more than 60,000.

The large oil producer has been engulfed in chaos since 2011 when longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed in a NATO-backed uprising.
    Since 2014, the country has been split between two rival administrations. The internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) led by Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj is based in the capital, Tripoli, while the House of Representatives, allied to renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar and his Libyan National Army (LNA), is based in the country's east.
    Bloody conflict
    The plight of the Libyans and the migrants has been compounded by the continued fighting in the country. Since April 2019, forces loyal to Haftar have been fighting to seize Tripoli in an offensive that has killed hundreds and displaced 150,000 people.
    The conflict has left Libya with "limited financial resources and shortages of basic equipment", while the "pandemic represents an additional challenge", the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) told Al Jazeera.
    In an interview with Reuters news agency in March, the head of the Libyan National Center for Disease Control (NCDC), Badereldine al-Najar, said: "In light of the lack of preparations, I now consider Libya not in a position to confront this virus."
    Intense bombardment shook Tripoli on Wednesday. Residents said the shelling was the worst in weeks, Reuters reported, shaking windows in the city centre. On Saturday, two people were also injured after a shell struck a hospital in the capital.
    In recent years, Libya has also become a major gateway for African migrants and refugees hoping to reach Europe. Many of the migrants have fled poverty, conflict, war, forced labour, female genital mutilation, corrupt governments and personal threats, only to find themselves stranded in the middle of the Libyan conflict and also facing the threat of a potential coronavirus outbreak in the country.
    A 2018 UN report highlighted that migrants and refugees are subjected to "unimaginable horrors" from the time they enter Libya, during their stay and in their attempts to cross the Mediterranean - if they reach that far - to make it to Europe.

https://apple.news/AfXl6TcyRRryJdrpmcd1QlA
    RIP Wes.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (04-04-2020),potlatch (04-04-2020)

Truth Seeker, Alumni, V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Overall activity: 83.0%

Thanks
    I don't care who they are or where they live, I feel sorrow for people who are suffering - and I pray for God to help us all. I've had enough in my life to know what it's like.
    http://domania.us/Oaccess/AVATAR/FlyLikeAnEagle.gif

4. The Following User Says Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

Neo (04-04-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Thanks
    Libya, another Obama legacy.

At least Obama had the cajones to admit that Libya was his biggest mistake he made as President.

Around the same time Hillary Clinton said her greatest success as Secretary of State was Libya.

And the Democrats want America to open its borders to the Libyan corona virus refugees.

What could go wrong ???

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks
    The Illuminati is going to get the Libyan gold and oil one way or another.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    They are fleeing nothing. They want European welfare. They can go home.

Thread Information