User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ask yourself: "what can I do to help?"

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Yeah I donate blood, I’ve been doing it for quite a few years, A+ is sought after because most Anglo Saxon types are A+
    Mentioning it to Mrs Neo the other day she categorically told me I shouldn’t, she told me we are in lockdown and her need for me to be safe outweighs the need for me to donate.
    Is that true about the A+ thing. Wow, that explains my family being almost uniformly A+.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Thanks
    I have started checking in with our elderly neighbors. ATV'ed over to the nearest neighbor when I heard them talking (They are about 600yards away).

I offered to help any way possible. They have a grand-daughter staying with them, and she is active mil, tough as nails.

(If some young, good natured, punk asks me if there is anything he can do for me, I am going to have trouble laughing it off rather than beating the crap out of him with my walking stick...)

Will probably start buying our eggs from the roadside stand down the road.

I've been thinking of setting up a chat with some of my (Christian) brothers in our social circle. I wanted to help us keep our whits and good cheer during this isolation, but also to hear what they are doing and exhort each other to good projects. Perhaps this could also include a good works section? I will have to see who bites on the idea, within the limits of personal safety protections.

I like this thot @Trinnity, thanks!
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (03-25-2020)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    There's not much I can do, really. My house is here with some 20-somethings sheltering in place. The gals are cleaning like I should have...but...I'm a slob...and they are all cooking things that are amazing. All I've done is to offer encouragement.
    Good journey, Rickity!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Rivers View Post
    There's not much I can do, really. My house is here with some 20-somethings sheltering in place. The gals are cleaning like I should have...but...I'm a slob...and they are all cooking things that are amazing. All I've done is to offer encouragement.

You already inspired me to pick up the Guitar and play, just for my own sanity.

I had been on an acoustic kick for a couple years, but I picked up the cheap old electric Strat copy that I keep in this ranch house and plugged it into an old practice amp. Made me feel like that long lost kid that discovered that making music was not magic.

BTW: I hate Strats, I am a Les Paul man. The middle pickup on a Strat gets in the way of my pick. I might just rip it out!

3 months registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    what can you do to help?
    Give items that are needed to the appropriate people<br>

Stay away from others unless you absolutely have to do something

DON'T WEAR DISPOSABLE GLOVES AND TOUCH EVERYTHING!!! disposable gloves are one time use, ever notice how the doctor or nurse takes them OFF after they are done doing what they need to and throw them away? Much better off washing your hands and using sanitizer

wear a mask, it is not meant to protect you, it is meant to contain the vapors coming out of your mouth thus limiting transmission to others.

We are going on 3 weeks end and while this sucks, we got to keep the transmission rate low so we are not overwhelming the hospital system...
    Look at Italy 101739 cases and 11591 dead (as of this post from John Hopkins tracking map) 11.4% mortality rate...yikes
    State side we are looking at 164610 cases and 3170 deaths so far for about a 2% mortality rate.
    how before the peeps coming in stating blah blah blah, too bad I use the numbers that are available to us, not speculation or guessing or some insane theory about possibilities of insert something here.
    Last edited by yeuemmaimai; 03-31-2020 at 06:24 AM.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    I saw this today and it made me cry and I'm so upset about it...

Panic buying and nothing left. She was crying.
    citizenfreepress.com

Just seeing that is deeply disturbing.

I've given away a lot of fresh eggs to friends and neighbors in the last few weeks and it occurred to me something I can do. Tomorrow I'm calling the county food pantry and the Loaves and Fishes people too. I'm going to offer them eggs.

Also, today I saw a commercial for the Red Cross asking people to donate blood. I'm calling them too to see where to go. I'm universal donor, so I really should.

Those of us who can, let's see if we can brainstorm some and all try to di something. Anyone got any more ideas?

Be the change. Well done.

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Food donation.

I have a strange, strange problem.

Last ten days I'd been living on MREs that I had stored for 12 years. They're as good now as when fresh - which isn't very good; and they're no good for a diabetic. I can manage carbs by limiting how much I eat - one MRE is a day's food. I space the food packets out.

Here's the problem: These things were intended for young soldiers. Most of whom have sweet tooths. In every one, there's either a shortbread cookie, sealed; an oatmeal cookie, likewise sealed; or a toaster pastry. Often there's a packet of raisins, which I can taste the sweetener on.

I have about 20 of these cookies; each one is 250 calories and 35 grams carbs. Some of them have crumbled but they're all fresh to eat - I've eaten about three of them. They're actually good, but I can't eat stuff like that on any kind of regular basis.

Any idea how to put them to good use? They're not branded - they're in brown thick-foil packages; labeled in the terse style of military equipment. But, someone who likes that stuff, could enjoy it.

Hate to throw them out when we may be looking at shortages soon.

3 months registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    ^ I love MREs I think they are delicious but now that the hoards are out and about, they are pricy lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yeuemmaimai For This Useful Post:

Montana (04-01-2020)

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Any idea how to put them to good use? They're not branded - they're in brown thick-foil packages; labeled in the terse style of military equipment. But, someone who likes that stuff, could enjoy it.

Hate to throw them out when we may be looking at shortages soon.
    Find a food pantry or call the churches. Ask them. Someone will want them.
    Lib media is a cancer on this country’s soul. -Buck Sexton

"Never let a crisis go to waste" -Rahm Emanuel, Clinton operative

FREEDOM takes NO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

JustPassinThru (04-01-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    You should always do what you can. It makes you feel good.

Even little things can make a difference to people.
    Last edited by patrickt; 04-01-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Thread Information