User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus prep

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks

Corona Virus prep

China has had some 50M people locked down for a month, and things are just getting worse.

The CDC came out today: "Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters at a news briefing. Its not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of when this will happen and how many people in this country will become infected and how many of those will develop severe or more complicated disease..."

So, the question for this thread/crowd is how to prep?

I will develop my list and post.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (02-26-2020),dinosaur (02-26-2020),Jen (02-26-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    We live in a rural area and rarely even see our neighbors much less get within breathing distance from their air. If it looks like some sort of self-imposed quarantine is necessary I will stock up on the foods we eat most, including pet food. I am fairly stocked up in those areas anyway.

My husband is able to work from home, so his work would not be affected unless internet and phone goes down.

We are in a pretty good position to hunker down for a while if necessary.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (02-26-2020),dinosaur (02-26-2020),drifter106 (02-26-2020),HawkTheSlayer (02-26-2020),Old Ridge Runner (02-26-2020)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Thanks
    You can't escape the virus. It'll get you sooner or later. The virus seems to have the greatest affect on children which do not have fully developed immune systems and the elderly and other types of people with compromised immune systems. To hunker down is to permanently quarantine yourself for life. Death happens. One just has to go about living and hope one has a advanced immune system. If not than one is a dead man/woman walking until the virus kills you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Jen (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Shit! Just saw the report on Tucker...

4 part strategy
    HHS puts out an RFP tomorrow for: Personal Protective equip including 1/2 a BILLION face masks and lots of bunny suits
    Rendensovir drug purchase
    Developing Anti-Virus
    Monoclonal antibody drugs, Regeneron

Sorry for the spelling and partial transcription.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (02-26-2020),dinosaur (02-26-2020)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    China has had some 50M people locked down for a month, and things are just getting worse.

The CDC came out today: "Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters at a news briefing. “It’s not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of when this will happen and how many people in this country will become infected and how many of those will develop severe or more complicated disease..."

So, the question for this thread/crowd is how to prep?

I will develop my list and post.
    These are good questions. I don't pretend to be ready; but in any battle, the plans go into the trash after the first fight.

I have food. About two months' worth. How I got it is a long story, but it's about at its shelf-life limit. It's very portable, although not light.

I have the essentials. Ten gallons' worth of water containers. A gallon of bleach, if I have to purify my water. I have a makeshift portable commode and liners. And TP.

I do not have masks and don't intend to buy them. I probably won't need them and there are people who WILL need them. They're in short supply.

I have gloves - winter gloves, work gloves, and latex gloves. So I can put the winter or work gloves on, when doing things like shopping.

I have eyeglasses anyway. They're not total protection of the eyes, but you know what they say about half a loaf.

I have no family; and with my railroad pension coming in, my part-time work is optional. Uber. Not gonna do it, not this year.

So, whether I ride it out here or in the desert somewhere...I don't have to be anyplace.

I have some money, and my gold supply is not subject to the First National Bank of Podunk, being open on regular hours. Now, of course, I can't use gold to buy canned goods; but I'm hoping a pawn shop or gold dealer does stay open. If not...I have Visa plastic, too, and there's nothing on those.

That about covers it. Mobile or at home, I can hunker down. Now if I do get sick...as I'm a petitioner with the VA, accepted as a hardship case...it won't take much for them to decide, again, that they're much too busy for me. WHILE I'm gasping for breath from a fluid-filled set of lungs. So this is not gonna be all sweetness and light, this next year.

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    You can't escape the virus. It'll get you sooner or later. The virus seems to have the greatest affect on children which do not have fully developed immune systems and the elderly and other types of people with compromised immune systems. To hunker down is to permanently quarantine yourself for life. Death happens. One just has to go about living and hope one has a advanced immune system. If not than one is a dead man/woman walking until the virus kills you.

Is that what the Fake Noozers are saying?

As usual, they have facts wrong. Chris Martenson, an immunologist by training (I've linked his videos) reports that almost no children are getting this virus. He sees that as significant - and this is across all areas that have been infected, both in Asia and Europe and even here. It's knocking elderly people down; but (as of two days ago) no children were reported as infected.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (02-26-2020),drifter106 (02-26-2020),Physics Hunter (02-27-2020)

Thanks
    The problem here is if this disease, or the Gov reaction to it effects the JIT (Just In Time) economy, then supplies of consumables with run dry right quick.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (02-26-2020)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    The problem here is if this disease, or the Gov reaction to it effects the JIT (Just In Time) economy, then supplies of consumables with run dry right quick.
    Yes. I've been waiting for that. I will probably run out of my diabetes medicines.

But actually, that's not even the most-critical issue. If areas are locked down and huge numbers ordered into quarantine...who will stock the stores and drive the trucks? Who will tend the water works and power stations?

That's how the food stock is such a blessing. I have food and water. But, if power goes down...this is Montana and it's still winter. And I don't have a fireplace.

Will gasoline be distributed? Enough, I believe - since few people will be going on the road. Hotels and restaurants will be dangerous places; but my own folding cot, bedroll, and space, are as safe as anyplace can be. Maybe safer than my apartment.
    Last edited by JustPassinThru; 02-26-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    These are good questions. I don't pretend to be ready; but in any battle, the plans go into the trash after the first fight.

I have food. About two months' worth. How I got it is a long story, but it's about at its shelf-life limit. It's very portable, although not light.

I have the essentials. Ten gallons' worth of water containers. A gallon of bleach, if I have to purify my water. I have a makeshift portable commode and liners. And TP.

I do not have masks and don't intend to buy them. I probably won't need them and there are people who WILL need them. They're in short supply.

I have gloves - winter gloves, work gloves, and latex gloves. So I can put the winter or work gloves on, when doing things like shopping.

I have eyeglasses anyway. They're not total protection of the eyes, but you know what they say about half a loaf.

I have no family; and with my railroad pension coming in, my part-time work is optional. Uber. Not gonna do it, not this year.

So, whether I ride it out here or in the desert somewhere...I don't have to be anyplace.

I have some money, and my gold supply is not subject to the First National Bank of Podunk, being open on regular hours. Now, of course, I can't use gold to buy canned goods; but I'm hoping a pawn shop or gold dealer does stay open. If not...I have Visa plastic, too, and there's nothing on those.

That about covers it. Mobile or at home, I can hunker down. Now if I do get sick...as I'm a petitioner with the VA, accepted as a hardship case...it won't take much for them to decide, again, that they're much too busy for me. WHILE I'm gasping for breath from a fluid-filled set of lungs. So this is not gonna be all sweetness and light, this next year.
    Yeah, you are on the right track.

I have been busy and out of the loop most of the day, and just heard about the CDC and HHS announcements today.

I need to lay in some supplies tomorrow.
    I figure 60 days.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    Shit! Just saw the report on Tucker...

4 part strategy
    HHS puts out an RFP tomorrow for: Personal Protective equip including 1/2 a BILLION face masks and lots of bunny suits
    Rendensovir drug purchase
    Developing Anti-Virus
    Monoclonal antibody drugs, Regeneron

Sorry for the spelling and partial transcription.
    Don't they expect this virus to run its course when the weather warms up? For us in the south...... that's soon (aside from the snow we are having tonight).

I haven't heard predictions on when the season is expected to end.

Thread Information