User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus prep

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Yes. I've been waiting for that. I will probably run out of my diabetes medicines.

But actually, that's not even the most-critical issue. If areas are locked down and huge numbers ordered into quarantine...who will stock the stores and drive the trucks? Who will tend the water works and power stations?

That's how the food stock is such a blessing. I have food and water. But, if power goes down...this is Montana and it's still winter. And I don't have a fireplace.

Will gasoline be distributed? Enough, I believe - since few people will be going on the road. Hotels and restaurants will be dangerous places; but my own folding cot, bedroll, and space, are as safe as anyplace can be. Maybe safer than my apartment.
    Yeah, Gasoline is on the list.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Don't they expect this virus to run its course when the weather warms up? For us in the south...... that's soon (aside from the snow we are having tonight).

I haven't heard predictions on when the season is expected to end.
    I actually read a report that the CDC "hopes" that summer will mitigate this virus.
    As a good friend once said: Hope is not a plan.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (02-26-2020),Jen (02-26-2020)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Don't they expect this virus to run its course when the weather warms up? For us in the south...... that's soon (aside from the snow we are having tonight).

I haven't heard predictions on when the season is expected to end.

Viral epidemics, in the past, have run for years.

But. I'm expecting some sort of patchwork supply system will be set up. Maybe it will be NG troops in bunny-suits, distributing groceries out of seized Safeways. Maybe something even cruder. But I expect something will be made to work after a couple of months.

Getting medicines will be harder, since China will be down a lot longer - the nature of their command/control economy and that they've been decimated - and their startup will be slower. AND. Am I the only one to think it's crazy to get oral medicines from a pill plant that's just been innuated with a highly-contagious virus?

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    I actually read a report that the CDC "hopes" that summer will mitigate this virus.
    As a good friend once said: Hope is not a plan.
    It's not practical to plan more than 60 days out.

If you're without access to groceries that long...you better learn field butchery, and learn fast.

Or else you die.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    Viral epidemics, in the past, have run for years.

But. I'm expecting some sort of patchwork supply system will be set up. Maybe it will be NG troops in bunny-suits, distributing groceries out of seized Safeways. Maybe something even cruder. But I expect something will be made to work after a couple of months.

Getting medicines will be harder, since China will be down a lot longer - the nature of their command/control economy and that they've been decimated - and their startup will be slower. AND. Am I the only one to think it's crazy to get oral medicines from a pill plant that's just been innuated with a highly-contagious virus?
    Meds. That could be a huge problem for many people. Some medications can't just be stopped abruptly.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Meds. That could be a huge problem for many people. Some medications can't just be stopped abruptly.
    I have three month's supply.

And I can taper down.

And, I have no choice. You play the hand you're dealt.

Thanks
    Hey, I am reacting here, but I don't mean to cause panic. I AM NOT PANICKING.

COVID-19 is at a maximum, thus far, 3.5% lethal disease. Most of the course of the disease it has been more like 2.5% lethal.
    Civilization will live through this.

I am only contemplating prepping for the speed bump where a pandemic goes wild, or the Gov over-reacts.

Thanks
    It's not practical to plan more than 60 days out.

If you're without access to groceries that long...you better learn field butchery, and learn fast.

Or else you die.
    HEHE, Note the second half of my screen name...

To quote my youngest girl, "Your fried squirrel is really good..."

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks

COVID-19 is at a maximum, thus far, 3.5% lethal disease. Most of the course of the disease it has been more like 2.5% lethal.

I am only contemplating prepping for the speed bump where a pandemic goes wild, or the Gov over-reacts.
    The threat I see here is the reaction to the whole thing.......not specifically the virus itself. If the reaction gets out of hand, then we will see empty store shelves and unavailable medications and other things that probably don't need to happen.

The possible reaction .........unfortunately, makes people run out and stock up and cause exactly what they feared.

Meanwhile, the coronavirus cruises along killing less people than the yearly flu does.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

2cent (03-14-2020),Quark (02-26-2020)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks

Here's a site you should review:

coronavirus Archives | Peak Prosperity

I don't know anything about Martenson, but he makes sense, claims training in the field, and is being both practical and skeptical with the data. But he's not pleased with how the CDC/WHO are gathering data, and he believes a lot of it is fudged.

On a video yesterday or two days ago, he approached this. He believes the R-0 rate, of how infectuous it is, is at about 30 percent, and fatality as high as (IIRC) five percent, perhaps more. The level of health care in your world matters, and racial stock may also matter. No Americans have (they claim) died of this (there's a shortage of testing kits, and some deaths may be attributed to other illnesses). But Chinese deaths may be off the scale. SOMETHING has those crematoriums running like crazy, with the rest of China stopped and shut.

Thread Information