User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Vitamin Pills Donít Work, and May Be Bad for You

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks

Cool Why Vitamin Pills Donít Work, and May Be Bad for You

I gave up using multivitamins and other specific ones like C years ago and havenít noticed a difference. One doesnít know how theyíre produced or how much to trust the vendor.
    Hereís how it works. The process starts with mitochondria, those tiny combustion engines that sit within our cells. Inside their internal membranes food and oxygen are converted into water, carbon dioxide, and energy. This is respiration, a mechanism that fuels all complex life.

Far from protecting us from disease, one study found that vitamin supplements increased the incidence of lung cancer among smokers. Credit: Alamy.
    Dosing up on vitamin C does not even help us fight the common cold. Credit: Alamy.
    Few would dispute that a balanced diet is essential for good health, but most of us don't need supplements to meet our nutritional needs. Credit: Getty Images.
    Thereís lots and lots more @ https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...be-bad-for-you
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

potlatch (12-20-2019)

VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    My Doctor told me not to take vitamin pills as they screw up the dope I take.
    Prozac,Celexa, Lexapro, Luvox, Paxil, Zoloft
    Last edited by darroll; 12-19-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Checked my drug list

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    I gave up on vitamins. Damn near killed me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

darroll (12-19-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 61.0%

Thanks
    Never been a vitamin lover. Have a couple specific one's, but I doubt they do much good.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    I take one vitamin. One Centrum Silver/day. I do that because for the past year, I've been on a Ketogenic diet, and I need SOME help with vitamins I usually get from Fruits and Vegetables, that I cannot have. I am restricted to green vegetables like Broccoli, Zucchini, Cabbage, Lettuce, etc. I don't get the vitamin benefits of Carrots, Corn, Potatoes, apples, oranges, etc. My multivitamin fills the gaps that are left.
    Something else I take, is MCT Oil Powder. 1 TBSP each morning in my coffee. Gives me Ketone energy, straight into my blood. Provides my brain with Omega threes. I feel great when I take it, and lousy when I don't.

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Vitamins have been controversial since about the day after One-A-Day multivitamins came out in the early 60's, I think it was. Vitamin C seems to have been the exception. And there's no real arguing against vitamins improving the health of the third wurld. They breed like mice, and that requires at least a modicum of good health.
    Last edited by Lummy; 12-19-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    I gave up on vitamins. Damn near killed me.
    The vitamins "damn near killed" you or giving them up did?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (12-24-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    I take a multi, Vitamin D3, B12, B6, probiotics, and eye vitamins..........all in gummy form after meals. It's my "dessert" of sorts. I think they all help. But surely they don't hurt me.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (12-24-2019),Old Ridge Runner (12-20-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    The average person in the U.S. doesn't know how to eat a healthy diet and knows even less about taking vitamins.

In certain circumstances vitamins can be helpful but are not intended to take the place of a healthy diet.

I have never taken a multivitamin, but I will take a vitamin or mineral when I see evidence of a deficiency or need.

I take B12, D3, Iodine, Zinc, and CoQ10. But none of them in large doses, only small doses.
    Last edited by Fall River; 12-19-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    I have taken vitamins/minerals/various supplements on and off for many years. What usually happens is I don't feel any different so I stop taking them for awhile, then I get back into it. The only supplement I KNOW helped me is the fish oil soft gels. I had a check up and my doctor wanted to put me on the statins because my cholesterol was borderline high. I hate taking a new prescription drug, because they screw you up some other way, (the only one i take is for high blood pressure) so I did some research and decided to take the fish oil. 3 months later I had another check-up and my cholesterol had dropped about 50 points. This was with no dieting, and no other change than the fish oil supplements.

Needless to say, I still take them, but now my cholesterol is again borderline high but this is because I gained 30 pounds when I retired. So now I am dieting also.

I will say this about vitamins in general, though. If you take them, take it in soft gel or liquid form because the hard pills are formed by heat and pressure and actually have LESS milligrams of whatever, than advertised. Also they don't assimilate as well.
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 12-19-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

"I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance"
    (Amy Farrah Fowler)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

"For the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God..." 1Thess.4:16

Thread Information