User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hows that for a FIRE starter

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks

hows that for a FIRE starter

Montana

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (12-15-2019),Old Ridge Runner (12-15-2019),Retiredat50 (12-15-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Too much trouble and mess for me.

I use these:

61vAA4dDjKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Weber 7417 Lighter Cubes: Garden Outdoor

4 dollars for 24 cubes and it only takes one cube to start a fire for my grill.
    Last edited by Retiredat50; 12-15-2019 at 08:40 AM.
    Hard times create strong men.
    Strong men create good times.
    Good times create weak men.
    And, weak men create hard times.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (12-15-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 53.0%

Thanks
    Nice idea, but - having been camping a few times in the last five years - I can tell you how hard it is just to find a place you can make a fire. Searching for a campsite that allows it. And then, the hassle of trying to cook over it...having done it, years ago, I'm here to tell ya, it's not really worth the struggle. Backwoods, primitive camping areas don't allow it. If you get lost in a Western patch of forest, just find a clearing and strike a match. Better, use it to light a cigarette. In twenty minutes, you'll have two Forest Service firespotters, a state cop, and an NFS fire unit, all ready to hose you down and write you a ticket.

And in established campsites, it's not even worth it, unless it's a special event. In which case you can either go to the campground store, and buy some Kingsway quick-lighting briquettes or borrow a few.

Kind of sad, but, the reality is, even campgrounds these days are overpopulated. Seems that few people work anymore - everyone is ramming the roads and filling up the parks. Idleness is rampant - part of the whole Free Money economic trend.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (12-15-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    I have a whole garbage can full of lint out in the laundry room. It seems that I clean out the lint filter every time I use the dryer but the wife thinks this is an odd idea. She thinks that the lint filter only needs cleaned when it is overflowing (Just like the garbage can under the sink!)

Anyway, I have been doing this exact thing for ages now. But I have not made any of these handy gadgets for quite some time.

At least I got the lint!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Nice idea, but - having been camping a few times in the last five years - I can tell you how hard it is just to find a place you can make a fire. Searching for a campsite that allows it. And then, the hassle of trying to cook over it...having done it, years ago, I'm here to tell ya, it's not really worth the struggle. Backwoods, primitive camping areas don't allow it. If you get lost in a Western patch of forest, just find a clearing and strike a match. Better, use it to light a cigarette. In twenty minutes, you'll have two Forest Service firespotters, a state cop, and an NFS fire unit, all ready to hose you down and write you a ticket.

And in established campsites, it's not even worth it, unless it's a special event. In which case you can either go to the campground store, and buy some Kingsway quick-lighting briquettes or borrow a few.

Kind of sad, but, the reality is, even campgrounds these days are overpopulated. Seems that few people work anymore - everyone is ramming the roads and filling up the parks. Idleness is rampant - part of the whole Free Money economic trend.

"Just light a cigarette and you will have the entire DOJ and FBI hosing you down and writing tickets"!!! Funny stuff @JustPassinThru !

Down here we have no Birch trees, hence no Birch bark. Next best thing, dryer lint.

I used to have a couple in my possibles bag when I would head up to the Pennsylvania mountains. You never know when they would come in handy. No real smell like those self lighting charcoal briquettes either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Montana (12-15-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Too much trouble and mess for me.

4 dollars for 24 cubes and it only takes one cube to start a fire for my grill.
    For my grille I use the chimney starter thingy. One piece of newspaper and that thing is a roaring fire! My grille is charcoal.
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 12-15-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    @JustPassinThru and @Montana

What we do have here in Florida in large numbers is turpentine infused pine logs. I call them "lighter-knot". Some call them "Fatwood". These are incredible fire starters. The trick is knowing where and how to find them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (12-18-2019),Montana (12-15-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Every time I clean out the dryer trap, I think how good lint will be for a fire starter.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (12-15-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    For my grille I use the chimney starter thingy. One piece of newspaper and that thing is a roaring fire! My grille is charcoal.
    I did use a chimney starter for a while but got tired of the smoke. With these starters, there is no smoke, so it is well worth the 17 cents per starter cube, for me. They are also a lot less hassle, just put one in your grill (I use a small Akorn Jr Kamado grill), build up charcoal around it, light it and in about 20 minutes your coals are ready to go.

06614-4_Lifestyle-Open-Angle.jpg
    Hard times create strong men.
    Strong men create good times.
    Good times create weak men.
    And, weak men create hard times.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 53.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    @JustPassinThru and @Montana

What we do have here in Florida in large numbers is turpentine infused pine logs. I call them "lighter-knot". Some call them "Fatwood". These are incredible fire starters. The trick is knowing where and how to find them.
    I'd read about those. Forgotten them.

Those were also the firebrands that Klan runners and other mob leaders would use, IIRC. Get one burning and pull it out and carry it like a torch, and it'll burn indefinitely.

Paper birch. Up in the Adirondacks, where I learned what taste I have for the outdoors...after Northern pine, those are the most common trees. As they mature, they have a singular look - and scent. There was never a worry about finding tinder if there was paper birch and twigs about.
    Last edited by JustPassinThru; 12-15-2019 at 12:03 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Thread Information