User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Have You Ever Pondered Eternity?

  1. #1
    Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 93.0%

    East of the Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    14,382
    Thanks
    17,725
    Thanked: 15,194
    Rep Power
    21474856

    Have You Ever Pondered Eternity?

    When we die we join the countless billions who have gone on before us. Will we be in another stream of consciousness? Will we know them? Will we be asleep until the Good Shepard calls us home?


    Thoughts please.

    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends....Abraham Lincoln

  2. #2
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 29.0%

    Northern Rivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Northern Rivers AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    24,141
    Thanks
    22,341
    Thanked: 21,551
    Rep Power
    21474866
    I don't think we'd have the same presence of mind as we do in the walkin' around world. More like that white blaze from a TM session. It will be a quantum reality. Like a candle flame. Blow it out...but...the light it emitted is still out there...the heat is forever dissipating...thinning out...joining a quantum reality.
    Good journey, Rickity!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

    East of the Beast (09-02-2019)

  4. #3
    V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    SharetheHedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    9,733
    Thanks
    1,587
    Thanked: 9,288
    Rep Power
    14966599
    First it must be established that there is the possibility of consciousness APART from the inner workings of the physical organ called the brain. I don't believe it CAN be? We may not yet totally understand how the brain produces awareness - thoughts, emotions, etc., but we are pretty dang sure it DOES, chemically and physiologically. If certain parts of the brain cease to function correctly, certain aspects of consciousness will also end or be hindered. If specific psychiatric drugs are introduced into the system, they work on specific areas of the brain and cause a predictable alteration of consciousness.

    In short, whatever our consciousness is, and however it is defined, there is no reason to imagine it exists outside of, or apart from, the brain. Therefore, if the brain dies, there is no reason to believe consciousness can or will continue. We can CHOOSE to believe it will, but that is simply a CHOICE, also conceived in the brain, and may just be a desire on the part of the brain to WANT to believe that?
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-02-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

    "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)


    "For the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God..." 1Thess.4:16

  5. #4
    Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 93.0%

    East of the Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    14,382
    Thanks
    17,725
    Thanked: 15,194
    Rep Power
    21474856
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    First it must be established that there is the possibility of consciousness APART from the inner workings of the physical organ called the brain. I don't believe it CAN be? We may not yet totally understand how the brain produces awareness - thoughts, emotions, etc., but we are pretty dang sure it DOES, chemically and physiologically. If certain parts of the brain cease to function correctly, certain aspects of consciousness will also end or be hindered. If specific psychiatric drugs are introduced into the system, they work on specific areas of the brain and cause a predictable alteration of consciousness.

    In short, whatever our consciousness is, and however it is defined, there is no reason to imagine it exists outside of, or apart from, the brain. Therefore, if the brain dies, there is no reason to believe consciousness can or will continue. We can CHOOSE to believe it will, but that is simply a CHOICE, also conceived in the brain, and may just be a desire on the part of the brain to WANT to believe that?
    There's has got to be more....We are so exquisitely made.It cannot be by cosmic happen stance.There is a connection with our existence and the eternal cosmos.There is purpose to our existence beyond just being born aging and then dying.......No sir........Glory awaits!

    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends....Abraham Lincoln

  6. #5
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.1%

    nonsqtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    27,927
    Thanks
    10,456
    Thanked: 28,344
    Rep Power
    21474870
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    When we die we join the countless billions who have gone on before us. Will we be in another stream of consciousness? Will we know them? Will we be asleep until the Good Shepard calls us home?


    Thoughts please.
    Define "eternity".

    The most common definition is inaccurate, it connotes "forever".

    The other more subtle but probably more accurate definition, is "without time" - "timeless", connoting either outside time or "within" it in the sense that all time becomes a point.

  7. #6
    Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 77.0%

    Jen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    22,980
    Thanks
    19,261
    Thanked: 31,425
    Rep Power
    21474864
    As you said......we are so exquisitely made and we are self-aware..... there must be more. Sometimes I believe it is in spirit form, other times I think maybe it will be physical form. But whatever it is, I believe we will be aware much as we are aware now. There are some questions I have, but even if I ask them here, they can't really be answered unless someone has been dead and comes back and can remember and report in detail.




  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

    East of the Beast (09-03-2019),Rickity Plumber (09-03-2019)

  9. #7
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::: Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    NuYawka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,219
    Thanks
    11,171
    Thanked: 6,183
    Rep Power
    21474851
    Funny how all the religious people claim to know so much, but according to The BIBLE (that they always expect everyone ELSE to preach or follow), the answer is right there in one simple sentence, in Ecc 9:5

  10. #8
    Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 93.0%

    East of the Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    14,382
    Thanks
    17,725
    Thanked: 15,194
    Rep Power
    21474856
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Define "eternity".

    The most common definition is inaccurate, it connotes "forever".

    The other more subtle but probably more accurate definition, is "without time" - "timeless", connoting either outside time or "within" it in the sense that all time becomes a point.
    OK, I agree time is a temporary construct made for this world.

    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends....Abraham Lincoln

  11. #9
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 30.0%

    patrickt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Posts
    30,857
    Thanks
    4,020
    Thanked: 19,341
    Rep Power
    21474874
    My thoughts....

    "When we die we join the countless billions who have gone on before us." Yeah, sure.

  12. #10
    V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    SharetheHedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    9,733
    Thanks
    1,587
    Thanked: 9,288
    Rep Power
    14966599
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    There's has got to be more....We are so exquisitely made.It cannot be by cosmic happen stance.There is a connection with our existence and the eternal cosmos.There is purpose to our existence beyond just being born aging and then dying.......No sir........Glory awaits!

    But honestly, there's no substance to your argument that there "HAS to be more"? It seems to be based on emotion and whim?
    What is the evidence that an individual's consciousness can or will exist apart from the brain? Where else can it be demonstrated that our consciousness RESIDES?
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

    "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)


    "For the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God..." 1Thess.4:16

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to SharetheHedge For This Useful Post:

    Canadianeye (09-03-2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •