User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famine & Drought for Hollyweird

Alumni Member Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion EnderMaster TaggerUser with most referrersArm of Law
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks

Famine & Drought for Hollyweird

As the summer ends, Hollywood moans and moviegoers yawn

Andrew MalcolmPosted at 10:01 pm on August 27, 2019

As summer draws to an unofficial close this week, movie theaters and Hollywood are whining about the disappointing income year of 2019. Or at least that part of Hollywood that isn’t owned by the Walt Disney Co.

See Also: Hmmm: DoJ inspector general to report on Comey’s conduct in separate report
    Movie ticket sales revenues for the summer, which comprises only a third of the year but usually more than 40 percent of ticket sales, are down two percent for the summer and down over six percent for the year.

Recommended

Fewer people are going. Which means the ridiculously expensive and lucrative concession sales are down. Poor babies.

Here’s why: It’s the costs, stupid.

It's NOT just the cost. It's the American Movie Going Trump supporter. We know you're destroying the culture, you're siding with our enemies, you hate trump...and we don't. The only way I can touch you is with my money...and you're not gonna even get a sniff. CJ

The National Association of Theater Owners, which represents the nation’s 40,313 movie screens, plus the 524 surviving drive-ins, claims the average ticket price is down a few pennies this year.

In 1948, when the most popular movies were “The Red Shoes” and “The Three Musketeers,” the average movie ticket price was 36 cents. Ha Ha, you say. But adjusted for inflation that would still be only $2.88 today, compared to the 2019 reality of a little over $9.

Theaters barely break even on ticket sales the first week after release. Movie makers skim that take then big-time. As a film run lengthens, theaters get more of the revenue. But with few exceptions, today’s movies rarely last more than three or four weeks, a fraction of the time it takes to film them.

Which is why concessions cost so much. That $10 bucket of popcorn actually costs only about 50 cents. As one result, although the number of screens has increased, many of us have cut back on movies, become more selective with how we waste our entertainment money.

And that’s what the data shows. Only one original summer movie — Sony’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” — crossed the $100 million level. What about “Avengers: Endgame,” you say? That one jumped the gun, opening on April 26, one week before movie summer began.

Avengers, indeed, has done great, soaking up $858.2 million in the U.S and $1.94 billion overseas. That’s a worldwide haul of $2.8 billion, the most ever, not adjusted for inflation. As always, “Gone With the Wind” remains the top grossing film, adjusted.

Many summers, movie makers counter-program the mega-films, like TV networks scheduling a soapy movie against an NFL night game. But this summer those alternates got destroyed.
    “Rocketman” did OK with $96 million. But “Long Shot”, “Stuber” and “Late Night” disappointed with only $30 million or less each.

“The summer of 2019 has been an interesting one with many tough lessons learned and conventional wisdom shattered,” says Paul Dergarabedian of Comscore, an industry tracker.
    What’s happening is moviegoers have become more discerning, going for the sure thing like the Rock and Jason Stratham in “Hobbs & Shaw,” the “Fast & Furious” spinoff, and not risking their money on lesser-known non-franchises.

Which brings us to Disney, the studio that’s produced the four highest-grossing movies of the year — Avengers, “Captain Marvel,” “Toy Story 4” and “Aladdin.”

Plus Sony’s “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” which was produced by Disney’s Marvel Studios.
    So far, Disney accounts for 35 percent of total U.S. box office revenue this year.

Oh, we neglected to mention, yet to come this year are “Frozen 2” in November and “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” just before Christmas.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-29-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    As a person who loves movies, below are my "issues" with actually going to a theater to see one:

#1. The Cost. I can go to a movie, this month, for about the same price I can buy the Blu Ray DVD in two to three months. For most, that is not all that difficult of a choice to make. What is really bad, is that the vast majority of the box office ticket sales goes to the STUDIO. The Theater itself, makes very little off the movies they show. They make their money off concessions.

#2. The Environment. I remember the day, when going to the movies was a SILENT, public event. Lots of people, with conversations before and after the film, but, seldom did people speak during the movie. These days, no telling what you will get: Some doped up teenage kid, thinking he's funny by cracking comments through the entire movie (Seriously, some idiots think we pay almost $20 a ticket to hear them tell jokes....). Someone with their infant who speaks, cries, or whines through the entire movie (No! Don't take the child out to the lobby. YOU might miss some of the movie your child is making everyone else miss....), or, some woman on her phone halfway through the movie. (I always wonder WHY anyone would purchase a movie ticket....to NOT watch the damned movie!?!?!)

#3. The Quality. Now, I am more prone to the "blockbuster" sorts of movies. But, they have utterly destroyed Summer time cinema. These days, studio's pay MILLIONS to high priced directors, producers and stars, many who have absolutely NO idea of the story they are telling. This is most often seen with high priced special effects in movies that actually have no real story. IF we look at the past decade or so, it would seem that only about 2 out of every 5 "blockbusters" actually makes money. That is a lot of investment to go POOF at the Box Office. Even the more serious dramatic movies often cost a boatload of money, for the high priced actors they put on screen. The fact of the matter is that TELEVISION has usurped Theater's role for providing good, dramatic movies/series. (Often with far better acting and story....)

#4. The "Messaging." Now a little is alright. Movies have always done that, or, been ACCUSED of doing that, for decades. But, these days, it is the norm. I can actually pull for a "gay" or "black" or "female" character. What I can't do, is pull for that character, as everything I believe in is ridiculed, or, presented in a negative light. Why would I pay money to be spoken down to, and, often, insulted?

#5. The Arrogance. On top of all the above, people have grown tired of spending money on an industry that openly and increasingly, looks down on them. WHY would anyone actually pay money to people who despise them, often openly??? I honestly don't give a damn what Robert De Niro thinks of politics. I just want to see him play some kind of Mobster. But, he insists that I, and everyone else, knows and hears what he thinks of politics, AND them, if they happen to hold a differing view. POLITICS...is not what they are hired for. I want De Niro's commentary on politics no more than I want him performing Brain Surgery on me. NEITHER IS WHAT THEY DO!

Hollywood, and the entire movie industry need to wake up, and see the REAL world. Then, make adjustments accordingly.
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-29-2019),Conservative Libertarian (08-31-2019),JustPassinThru (08-29-2019),markdido (08-29-2019)

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Hollywood is reaping the rewards of their political bias.
    The Democratic Party IS the problem and always has been. -Trinnity
    "Never let a crisis go to waste" -Rahm Emanuel, Clinton operative
    For forum rules, click
    here

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-29-2019),Conservative Libertarian (08-31-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    "Get Woke; Go Broke."

Except, perhaps, they know it'll happen anyway, with their Glorious Revolution. Let's face it: Cinemas are not popular during civil wars. Nor do people in collectivist dystopias have money for movie passes. There is a Ministry of Propaganda, and they direct the production of what cinema products are produced.

They are few and they are insufferable. These people must know or sense it; but they're Revolutionaries, first. Or so they think.

It's easy to be cavalier with your future when you've never KNOWN hardship; and that is what's happening here.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    I'm in a quandary. I'd like to see the new Joker movie. But DeNiro is in it, so I'll probably skip it.
    The Democratic Party IS the problem and always has been. -Trinnity
    "Never let a crisis go to waste" -Rahm Emanuel, Clinton operative
    For forum rules, click
    here

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    I'm in a quandary. I'd like to see the new Joker movie. But DeNiro is in it, so I'll probably skip it.
    Im so glad I saw "Once upon a time in Hollywood" (Even though it was rife with folks I disagree with Politically )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gator Monroe For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (08-31-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    Im so glad I saw "Once upon a time in Hollywood" (Even though it was rife with folks I disagree with Politically )
    Perhaps Tarantino's best movie.

Dicaprio did a good job.

Darkly humorous, especially the end.....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (08-31-2019),Gator Monroe (08-29-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    If you can wait until December, it will likely be out on Blu Ray, for the same cost.

Then, you can watch it multiple times.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Perhaps Tarantino's best movie.

Dicaprio did a good job.

Darkly humorous, especially the end.....
    It was a Time Machine back to the Hollywood /Los Angeles of my Boyhood (10 years old)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gator Monroe For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (08-31-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    It was a Time Machine back to the Hollywood /Los Angeles of my Boyhood (10 years old)
    Yes.

I was most impressed with how they managed to do that. No special effects, but, that costs BIG money! (The reason "Westerns" are almost as expensive as Sci Fi/Fantasy...)

The movie really does put you back in the 60's.

And, again...I think DiCaprio knocked it out of the park. Just great acting. (With some funny as hell lines!)

"Is everyone alright?"

"Well, not the fuckin' hippies...."

ROFLMAO! (I have laughed at that line for a month now!)

Thread Information