User Tag List

Thread: Can Psychotherapy Help You Control Pain?

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks

Question Can Psychotherapy Help You Control Pain?

Okay, here’s a piece that states pain is as much in your head as it’s real in your body. Another faux cure hype? I have to wonder but it might help people wean themselves off of opiods.
    Pain is a danger signal that also can warn of us tissue damage, but sometimes these danger signals can be activated in the absence of real danger,” says Alan Gordon, the director of the Los Angeles Pain Psychology Center, where Golson was treated. “It’s almost like a kinesthetic hallucination. It’s hard to not buy into these messages that your brain and your body are giving you.”
    The goal of the therapy is to get the patients to reinterpret the sensations they feel as non-dangerous.
    Yoga to cure your pain?
    I don’t want to seem flippant, but there’s so much of this stuff out there that one has to be extremely careful to keep from being roped into a scam.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Yelling alway helped me. But...I also think that's why the dentist can be an ordeal...ya can't.
    Good journey, Rickity!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

lecarrjan (11-16-2018)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    It probably depends on the level of pain or the person. If your back hurts how do you react, what do you do? You stretch, lie down, or take a pill, each person deals with pain in different ways, grin and bear it or whine. Often pain can interfere with your mental well being leading to isolation or other problems.

https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/chronic-pain.aspx

I liked the yelling' above reply lol, our dad would curse like crazy if he hurt himself, I didn't realize until I did it myself a few times how useless it is and yet you do it.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lecarrjan View Post
    It probably depends on the level of pain or the person. If your back hurts how do you react, what do you do? You stretch, lie down, or take a pill, each person deals with pain in different ways, grin and bear it or whine. Often pain can interfere with your mental well being leading to isolation or other problems.

https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/chronic-pain.aspx

I liked the yelling' above reply lol, our dad would curse like crazy if he hurt himself, I didn't realize until I did it myself a few times how useless it is and yet you do it.
    There I was...in the hospital...again...with kidney stones. This is where you can understand what it feels like to be harpooned. After the operation...which is all lasered out "through Willie"...through temporary stents that gotta go in...and come out in your ureters...the nurse tells you to wait as long as you can each time you gotta pee. Why? Well, the shots of morphine were a clue.........
    Good journey, Rickity!

Thread Information