User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prince Phillips Funeral

Truth Seeker, Alumni Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Yes, proper old English oak is extremely expensive, most old oak trees are now protected and cant be chopped down. The first house i owned was a 16th century cottage with an oak beam roof, slotted together with no nails of screws, the roof beams were oak and at least 500 years old.
    I'll have to look up 'English Oak' trees. We have very old Live Oak trees in our yard and our house is probably a hundred years old. The original papers were written in very fancy cursive script and were missing when we paid off our house. [somebody took them!]

I watch HGTV (House&Garden) 'fixer upper' shows where they tear apart old houses and redo them and it's sometimes amazing how much more well built old houses were back then. I've seen the methods you mentioned but can't imagine a 500 hundred year old house, wow!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    Were any of Doty Faiyad’s family present ?

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Yes, proper old English oak is extremely expensive, most old oak trees are now protected and cant be chopped down. The first house i owned was a 16th century cottage with an oak beam roof, slotted together with no nails of screws, the roof beams were oak and at least 500 years old.
    Can you imagine the conversations held in that house over the centuries. The oldest thing I have ever owned (other than myself of course!) was a mahogany table about 150 years old. It was made in England and I would just be awed by the thought of those conversations. Now my son has the table and hopefully one day it will go to his children and on and on.

By the way, one of my favorite sayings is the main difference between the English and the Americans is that Americans think 100 years is a long time while an Englishman thinks 100 miles is a long way.
    I am not joe biden and I both understand and approve this message

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),UKSmartypants (04-17-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Was thinking of you today, smartypants, as I watched the whole thing. Switched from Newsmax to Foxnews, to BBC--where there were no annoyances that accompany American coverage.

My wife (an Aussie) openly wept. And wept uncontrollably afterward. I too, was deeply moved.

Heartfelt condolences from this Yankee...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WVYankee For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021),UKSmartypants (04-17-2021)

Banned Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVYankee View Post
    Was thinking of you today, smartypants, as I watched the whole thing. Switched from Newsmax to Foxnews, to BBC--where there were no annoyances that accompany American coverage.

My wife (an Aussie) openly wept. And wept uncontrollably afterward. I too, was deeply moved.

Heartfelt condolences from this Yankee...
    Thanks for that. My wife had a good blub as well. The sight of the Carriage with his cap and gloves on the seat I thought was very poignant.

Nobody can do Pomp and Ceremony like the English, we've been practising it for a thousand years

Where i used to live was on a main road that was originally a Roman Road , and a Saxon cobbled trackway.

When King Stephen's wife , Queen Eleanor died in York in the 12th Century, the body was transported back to London, it took six days. every night stop was subsequently commemorated by Stephen with a 12 foot stone cross, known as an Eleanor Cross. There were the remains of one of the Eleanor crosses half a mile down the road, so the procession must have gone past the house 800 years ago (ofc the house wasn't there then).

and then again, thy found the remains of the construction of a Saxon cobble track when they improved the road in the 60's, including timbers dated to 400 BC.

But then, before that, it was the main Roman road to London, Roman legions must have marched past the site of my house 2000 years ago.

People were walking past my old house (or where it would be in the future) for at least 2500 years. You cant even get your head round that.

And this is the point, stuff has been going on in England for thousands of years. Its one of the things that makes the English who they are.

Ill show you something. This is south of where i used to live, see the little tracks and side roads in a straight line i've laid a yellow line at the side? its not obvious, but that's a roman road as well, most of it has been dug over, but if you draw a straight line next to that bit, you can find sections of it running south for 25 miles. I spent several years identifying bits of it and mapping them out for the Local Archives. It's just so interesting...

map.jpg

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021),Oberon (04-18-2021)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    Stupid pommies.

Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    Stupid pommies.
    That's rather rude coming from a Kangaroo fucker
    I am not joe biden and I both understand and approve this message

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

UKSmartypants (04-18-2021)

Banned Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    Stupid pommies.

said the nation of criminal rejects we threw out

Banned Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    We are watching now. Some of the symbolism is not understood. For example, the choir sings "the jubilate". Why does the woman wear black, while the men are all in red with a white robe cover?
    @dinosaur Got it.

The three men were Lay Clerks of St George’s Chapel Choir (which are Ecclesiastic positions , so they wore Church robes) and the woman was an ordinary jobbing Soprano they brought in to make the voice balance better, so she wore civilian black funeral garb.

Last edited by UKSmartypants; 04-18-2021 at 08:31 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (04-18-2021),WVYankee (04-18-2021)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    @dinosaur Got it.

The three men were Lay Clerks of St George’s Chapel Choir (which are Ecclesiastic positions , so they wore Church robes) and the woman was an ordinary jobbing Soprano they brought in to make the voice balance better, so she wore civilian black funeral garb.
    Thanks! There is so much detail and symbolism and hidden meaning to it. Some of it is obviously symbolic, even if I don't understand the why, and some is just life as it is coincidence. Fascinating.

Thread Information