Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prince Phillips Funeral

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    Thanks for the Land Rover explanation. Now, how about the flags touching the ground as the casket is moved to the truck? Typically flags on the ground is a no no, so I expect there is some unknown symbolism here also?

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    Also, I read where military uniforms by the royals were nixed by the Queen, but I notice they royals all wearing their medals/ribbons on their black jackets. Apparently that is an OK practice for any military personnel not in uniform?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

potlatch (04-17-2021)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    I recall visiting Windsor Castle after the fire restoration. One of the Royals gave a presentation to us showing how the restoration went along. Can't recall which family member gave the presentation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (04-17-2021)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    Also, I read where military uniforms by the royals were nixed by the Queen, but I notice they royals all wearing their medals/ribbons on their black jackets. Apparently that is an OK practice for any military personnel not in uniform?

Well no, Harry and Andrew fucked that up, Philip wanted everyone in full military dress

BUT

Harry, because he was stripped of all his military honours, was not then allowed by protocol to wear a uniform, so he would have been the only one not in uniform, and that would have been really awkward

PLUS

Andrew, who arrogant as fuck, demanded to be allowed an Admirals Uniform, which he isnt entitled to, so despite Philips wishes, to avoid an embarrassing scene, the Queen ruled that NOONE was allowed to wear military dress, only medals.

Thansk for that, Harry and Andrew.

I dont know about the flags on the ground.
    Last edited by UKSmartypants; 04-17-2021 at 10:07 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021)

Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    My wife has it on. I don't get into the whole Monarchy thing, but the architecture of hundreds of years ago is stunning to me.

A pastime of mine is searching Gothic Cathedrals. They are just mind-boggling given the time periods they were built.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 04-17-2021 at 10:38 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021),potlatch (04-17-2021)

Banned Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    My wife has it on. I don't get into the whole Monarchy thing, but the architecture of hundreds of years ago is stunning to me.

A pastime of mine is searching Gothic Cathedrals. They are just mind-boggling given the time periods they were built.

Lincoln Cathedral, where I grew up, was a stunning example, and always fascinated me, and contains examples of all three phases of gothic architecture.

What you have to realise is that these structure were built by trial and error, hit and miss, and the constructional solutions to make the building stay up wer arrived at slowly, much as in the same way ship building in the middle ages was trial and error.

Lincoln cathedral fell down several times whilst it was being built, and many workmen died during the 100 years it took to build. It was discovered in the last couple of decades that

1. The west front is in fact an entirely separate building they simply added onto to make it bigger
    2. the Flying buttresses holding up the round chapel were not actually connected to the main building , and in fact served no purpose and
    3. in 1920 a large cavity was discovered underneath. Liquid concrete was pumped in for 3 days, all of which simply vanished into the hole. Ever since then the Cathedral authorities have banned all investigation of it.

They closed the Gallery on the West from back in the 1970's, because it was a favourite spot to throw yourself off 180 feet onto the paving slabs below.

Until a lighting strike toppled the main tower in 1525, it was the tallest structure in the world, even higher than the Cheops Pyramid at Giza. Had that not occurred it would have remained the tallest building in the world until 1898 when they built the Eiffel Tower.

I loved walkign round the Cathedral as a child, the sense of history and the centuries just swept you up.

Parts of Lincoln Cathedral were used in the filming of "The da Vinci Code"

West Front

The Nave

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021)

Banned Achievements:

Thanks

Aerial view looking south.

The germans never bombed it during WW2, as it was used as a waypoint marker, in full moonlight it can be seen 200 miles away.

The roof, by the way, is six acres of Code 6 lead sheet..... at today's scrap prices that roughly $4m .....
    Last edited by UKSmartypants; 04-17-2021 at 12:49 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),darroll (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021)

Truth Seeker, Alumni Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    I read this yesterday;

----Officials confirmed royal men will wear morning coats with their medals and the women will wear day dresses. The dress code was revealed after the Queen approved a last-minute move to present a united family front, amid concerns that Harry would be the only senior royal not in uniform - and Prince Andrew demanding to wear the uniform of an admiral.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...edgntp#image=5

----Another source;The palace just announced that the event attire will be mourning dress, usually defined by suits and dark colors. This statement is notable, as it is often customary for royal family members who hold military rank—such as Prince Charles, Prince William, Princess Anne, and Prince Edward—to wear uniforms to state events rather than suits.----

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a36135477/royal-family-mourning-dress-prince-philip-funeral/

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021),UKSmartypants (04-17-2021)

Truth Seeker, Alumni Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    @UKSmartypants

I thought this information about the coffin was interesting;

Prince Philip will be in a traditional English oak coffin made decades ago along with one for his wife the Queen. It is usual for British royals to be laid to rest in lead-lined coffins because they keep out moisture and preserve the body for longer. Princess Diana's was so heavily lined, for example, it weighed a quarter of a ton.

Nobody at royal undertakers Leverton & Sons in north London knows how old Philip's coffin is, because they inherited the caskets of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh from JH Kenyon in 1991. Director Andrew Leverton told The Times: 'It is not something you can just make in a day, or a few hours. It was felt that it was important to have it available'. He added that English oak was now 'very difficult to get hold of', and most oak coffins were made from American wood.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...edgntp#image=2

Banned Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by potlatch View Post
    @UKSmartypants

I thought this information about the coffin was interesting;

Prince Philip will be in a traditional English oak coffin made decades ago along with one for his wife the Queen. It is usual for British royals to be laid to rest in lead-lined coffins because they keep out moisture and preserve the body for longer. Princess Diana's was so heavily lined, for example, it weighed a quarter of a ton.

Nobody at royal undertakers Leverton & Sons in north London knows how old Philip's coffin is, because they inherited the caskets of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh from JH Kenyon in 1991. Director Andrew Leverton told The Times: 'It is not something you can just make in a day, or a few hours. It was felt that it was important to have it available'. He added that English oak was now 'very difficult to get hold of', and most oak coffins were made from American wood.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...edgntp#image=2

Yes, proper old English oak is extremely expensive, most old oak trees are now protected and cant be chopped down. The first house i owned was a 16th century cottage with an oak beam roof, slotted together with no nails of screws, the roof beams were oak and at least 500 years old.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-17-2021),dinosaur (04-17-2021),potlatch (04-17-2021)

Thread Information