PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of Super Strict Schools in England

DonGlock26
03-13-2024, 03:35 PM
‘You Can Hear a Pin Drop’: The Rise of Super Strict Schools in England

Inspired by the academic success of schools like the Michaela secondary school in northwest London, some principals are introducing tight controls on students’ behavior.

As the teacher started to count down, the students uncrossed their arms and bowed their heads, completing the exercise in a flash.

“Three. Two. One,” the teacher said. Pens across the room went down and all eyes shot back to the teacher. Under a policy called “Slant” (Sit up, Lean forward, Ask and answer questions, Nod your head and Track the speaker), the students, aged 11 and 12, were barred from looking away.

When a digital bell beeped (traditional clocks are “not precise enough,” the principal said) the students walked quickly and silently to the cafeteria in a single line. There they yelled a poem — “Ozymandias,” by Percy Bysshe Shelley — in unison, then ate for 13 minutes as they discussed that day’s mandatory lunch topic: how to survive a superintelligent killer snail.

https://archive.is/pt9Q7#selection-483.0-487.169

I'm sure this will make progs' heads explode.

fmw
03-13-2024, 04:12 PM
We have them here too. We call them military academies.

ruthless terrier
03-13-2024, 04:47 PM
sounds like military. don't think this should be done in public schools.

Neo
03-14-2024, 01:52 AM
I went to a draconian school in the 70s, the discipline was severe, it didn't mentally harm me, it made me a stronger person.

Big Wheeler
03-14-2024, 07:21 AM
I went to a draconian school in the 70s, the discipline was severe, it didn't mentally harm me, it made me a stronger person.
Me too.
Discipline and self control . Look at the feral youths,as young as 10,infesting the streets of my small town.Respect for nothing and nobody.Including themselves.

Neo
03-14-2024, 08:55 AM
Me too.
Discipline and self control . Look at the feral youths,as young as 10,infesting the streets of my small town.Respect for nothing and nobody.Including themselves.
Ahhhhh now then, these little bleeders cannot be prosecuted as they std under aged.. but I feel new laws should be brought in that for every illegal thing they do the parents should be imprisoned or fined for the offence. It might make a huge difference.?

Big Wheeler
03-14-2024, 11:56 AM
My local area has plenty of You Tube videos posted showing these little twats doing their stuff in view of folk's security cctv asking if anyone recognises their faces.I have no idea if this produces any positive results.
My neighbours of 4 doors away,both in their late 70s,get a lot of grief from a gang of these scrotes.Their great grandson dobbed in some of them to the council after a lot of trouble.Then their windows were egged repeatedly and car tyres slashed.The council told their parents that they they would be moved from their homes if the problems persisted.Now the egging has restarted.Let's just say that the matter is now being dealt with privately.

Neo
03-14-2024, 05:21 PM
I'm lucky where I live, there is a family with kids near me, but of course they are well off, brand new Volvo, £450,000 house.. the kids are very well behaved as you'd expect, I've not had to put my nasty head on for at least 25 years to sort out some little fucker trying to upset my day.

Doug1943
03-15-2024, 06:38 AM
In the UK, the Conservative Party is similar to the (pre-Trump) Republican Party in the US: they don't really care about their own working class -- they're the "Chamber of Commerce" party -- low taxes and few environmental regulations and subsidies to corporations is their purpose. The children of Conservative leaders go to expensive private schools, and their parents couldn't care less about the poor education provided by government-monopoly state schools.

BUT ... there are exceptions, and about fifteen years ago, an up-from-the-bottom Conservative member of the government introduced 'Free Schools' into the UK: sort of like Charter Schools in the US. [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_school_(England) ]

One of the schools which came out of this was Michaela School, started by a strong woman who had experience of teaching in the crappy British state schools. The Left hated it like poison, especially after it started getting stellar results -- unbelievable results -- in the exams that teenagers take in the UK at about the age of 16 (called "GCSEs" -- General Certificate of Secondary Education).

[ Michaela Community School - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaela_Community_School) ]

The majority of Michaela's student body is non-white, by the way.

We ought to be shouting about this school from the rooftops -- it shows what can -- not necessarily what will -- be done with 'School Choice'. It's a powerful argument for traditional methods of education.

And ... it's a powerful weapon for us against the Left. Many, probably most, ordinary Democratic voters want to live decent lives: they don't want crime and disorder around them, they don't want their country to be weak in the world, they want a good education for their children, they don't want to compete with low-paid illegals for jobs. We need to push these issues and split the Democratic base from the Democratic top.

Michaela School could be reproduced everywhere.
We ought to make doing that one of the main issues in future election campaigns.

Sunsettommy
03-15-2024, 03:05 PM
Nice to see you here Doug1943, it is good to have another voice about England where it is needed to add a better understanding what is going on there.

Moonie
03-15-2024, 05:36 PM
Anyone else remember the nasty three mile run at 6am if you were late on delivering prep or weren't on time for Matron?

I don't think I need to say it was a boarding school.

Doug1943
03-16-2024, 05:15 AM
Nice to see you here Doug1943, it is good to have another voice about England where it is needed to add a better understanding what is going on there.
I'm an American living in England ... but I'm mainly focussed on American politics. What's happening in England is very similar to what is happening in America: the people who are the main bearers of our culture -- the 'intelligentsia' -- have lost confidence in it, have become apologists for backwardness, have embraced every deviation from the tried-and-true ways of sustaining a culture: the traditional family first of all.

It's possible to see the dangers we're moving into now -- for instance, the possibility of a big war, the release of another virus, etc. But Britain is a comprehensive welfare state, though, so everyone believes if anything bad happens, the government will take care of them.

But America is the key. As America goes, so goes the free world.