PDA

View Full Version : Mother of Briton who went to Ukraine to fight Putin's forces....

Moonie
03-10-2024, 05:36 PM
Mother of Briton who went to Ukraine to fight Putin's forces says Liz Truss has 'blood on her hands' for encouraging UK volunteers to enter the conflict after he takes his own life

Harry Gregg was 23 when he travelled to the war-torn country

By ANDREW LEVY (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/profile-827/andrew-levy.html)
PUBLISHED: 17:33 EDT, 10 March 2024 | UPDATED: 17:34 EDT, 10

The mother of a young man who took his own life after going to fight in Ukraine accused Liz Truss of having 'blood on her hands' yesterday.

Harry Gregg was 23 when he travelled to the war-torn country after the then foreign secretary encouraged British volunteers to enter the conflict.

He served three tours despite his only military experience being a few months in the Army Cadets when he was 11.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13180409/Mother-Briton-went-Ukraine-fight-Putins-forces-Liz-Truss-blood-hands-UK-volunteers-conflict.html

Moonie
03-10-2024, 05:39 PM
Why don't we just stop promoting war and aggresion in today's video games and online societal matters to them?

Go build a tent in the fields.

ruthless terrier
03-10-2024, 05:46 PM
a lot of politicians have blood on their hands. not Trump.

Moonie
03-10-2024, 05:53 PM
a lot of politicians have blood on their hands. not Trump.
Or society does in promoting this as a form of entertainment to our youth.

Now admittedly I read war comics as a kid and started wanting to join the Army at around 14.

But then you were always taught in both the comics, media and Armed Forces advertisements that you feeded the training.

Not just vaunting off to the next Fox News or other sources' promotion of their combat needs or your desire to Combat Joe and reap the glory of being so.

Neo
03-10-2024, 05:55 PM
Obviously the bloke had mental problems or an immaturity. Nobody goes to war unless you get draft papers forcing you to go. Or am I missing something?

Moonie
03-10-2024, 06:06 PM
Obviously the bloke had mental problems or an immaturity. Nobody goes to war unless you get draft papers forcing you to go. Or am I missing something?

Having been in the Army, no, you don't want to go. Unless you're in one of THOSE types of arms.

Being cavalry myself (one of the tank-oriented ones not the wastes of time plodding down the Mall) you were a suffidient threat without action.

dinosaur
03-10-2024, 06:10 PM
:wtf20: Liz Truss has blood on her hands?? For a mercenary committing suicide?? After his 3x tour of duty???

Mental illness is real and serious. Recreational drugs don't help (implied by the coroners comments). He volunteered as a mercenary. How is Ms Truss responsible for any of that??

Somehow, I believe the Gregg family's journey to deal with their grief starts with not blaming others. I pray they find peace sooner rather than later. Life is precious.

Neo
03-10-2024, 06:11 PM
Having been in the Army, no, you don't want to go. Unless you're in one of THOSE types of arms.

Being cavalry myself (one of the tank-oriented ones not the wastes of time plodding down the Mall) you were a suffidient threat without action.

Have you read the Mario Puzo book "fools die"?

Neo
03-10-2024, 06:18 PM
Vietnam war

Some young men left the US and moved to Canada in order to avoid the draft.
Nobody knows the exact figure but perhaps 30,000 young American men crossed the border and went to Canada.
These people were known as draft dodgers.
In 1977, president Carter signed an executive order which granted a full and unconditional pardon to those who had left the US in order to avoid the draft.
They were allowed to return to the US and remain free citizens.

Moonie
03-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Have you read the Mario Puzo book "fools die"?
No, but I heard my soldiers once say (without their knowing I was there) that 'Sir is no fool!'

And I impressed it in my boring lectures on 'immediate action/encountering the enemy' (forgive my not remembering its actual name but it was one of those lessons one had to give annually (to everyone's thrill)).

Neo
03-10-2024, 06:21 PM
In the book "fools die" a draftee has a friend hit him on his knee with a hammer, after several months of being hit on the knee he becomes exempt from service as he is permanently disabled.

Neo
03-10-2024, 06:27 PM
My father ripped my army papers up as I needed his signature to join up in the British army. That day I remember very well.
With my 2 dimensional way of thinking I'd of been your dream soldier, I see black and white in situations always.
Like in the film "full metal jacket" "What do
Marines do?" "Kill kill kill"

Moonie
03-10-2024, 06:51 PM
Ironically enough I joined under the doctrine of the title's true Mother of Britain in the late Thatcher years, and believe I saw one of her offspring (the useless Mark admittedly on Parade).

I gave up my Commission under Major cos we could see what was coming.

Old Tex
03-10-2024, 07:14 PM
Harry Gregg was 23 when he travelled to the war-torn country

That is our society today & it seems to be world wide. YOU are never at fault, NEVER! Someone else made you do what you shouldn't have done, so it's their fault.

He was 23 years old & made choices.

Sunsettommy
03-10-2024, 08:00 PM
Vietnam war

Some young men left the US and moved to Canada in order to avoid the draft.
Nobody knows the exact figure but perhaps 30,000 young American men crossed the border and went to Canada.
These people were known as draft dodgers.
In 1977, president Carter signed an executive order which granted a full and unconditional pardon to those who had left the US in order to avoid the draft.
They were allowed to return to the US and remain free citizens.

One of my brothers benefitted from the pardon but he suffered a lot until it came.

Northern Rivers
03-10-2024, 09:39 PM
I remember when I was in my teens this guy at work salivating over joining up and killing VC. They got him straight away. Couldn't have been easy on him, either. He liked putting severed VC ears strung on a necklace. :wtf20:

DonGlock26
03-11-2024, 05:57 PM

Hey Cavalry!! US Army Cavalry Scout here. :flag:

Moonie (https://thepoliticsforums.com/members/4418-Moonie)@

Canadianeye
03-11-2024, 08:03 PM
At that age, he had been part of "virtue signaling and bubble encapsulated pretend" generation(s).

Conscription data in the UK says something 1/3 of the 18-40 age bracket said they will not agree to conscription/draft.

Some of the reasons of why they will refuse conscription/draft in the article:

Why won’t Britons serve in the armed forces if called? | YouGov (https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/48749-why-wont-britons-serve-in-the-armed-forces-if-called)

I dare say (since these are the same virtue signaling pretending is somehow real as was "Eagle")...that the number would generally be higher of refusal, mostly because of their parents (also mostly virtue signaling dimbulbs) - would snap out of it, and get their kids to the safety of another nation etc, or flat out talk them out of it.

Even then, imagine if 1/2 of them allowed themselves to be drafted - they are "probably" going to be of the stripe as this young man who thought he could just be a merc. Kind of sad his nickname was Eagle. People have this perception of Eddie the Eagle as something of a mentally weak individual, but lots of courage overcame the odds against him, regarding ski jumping. Not trench war, where you are led to the slaughter and watch the horror of it happening all around you.

What a sad story. The parents are going to suffer with this the rest of their lives on all kinds of different levels.

Moonie
03-12-2024, 02:50 PM
Unless you have gone through at least basic recruit training and its accompanying lessons for what you do as a soldier you are just an ignorant puss feed.

Canadianeye
03-12-2024, 03:07 PM
My boot camp was 11 weeks long. Three attempted suicides on the base during that time frame (or so we heard). Only saw one in my platoon.

Fact is, the job of the instructors was to see if you can be broken. Not exactly sure what it is like nowadays, but I strongly suspect it is a much watered down version from when I went through.

Kodiak
03-12-2024, 03:55 PM
My boot camp was 11 weeks long. Three attempted suicides on the base during that time frame (or so we heard). Only saw one in my platoon.

Early 1971 Marine boot here, 12 weeks long. We had two that I know either try to commit suicide or hurt themselves bad enough they got out. I was in 1st Battalion and a guy in our platoon tried cutting his wrists. Of course he failed and after he got out of sick bay with his wrists stitched up, the DI got him in front of the platoon and explained how he did it wrong. He said if you want to do it right never go across, but do it from your wrist to your elbow diagonally. By the time the medics get you, you will have probably bled out. Nice guys those DI's.

We were in the old Gomer Pyle style Quonset Huts, but 2nd battalion had the new 3-story "hotels". They had a guy jump off the third floor onto the concrete busting both legs. Pretty sure he got out or so I heard. Fun times.