PDA

View Full Version : No 10 criticises London theatre's 'divisive' plans for black-only nights

Neo
03-01-2024, 07:56 AM
https://images.ctfassets.net/pjshm78m9jt4/17Wvm5qIMHSPkQpVySaBFY/60dfada2967c778a1a537dd844157a77/GettyImages-1356934423.jpg?fm=jpg&fit=fill&w=400&h=225&q=80
Downing Street has said plans to hold black-only nights at a London theatre are "wrong and divisive".
Slave Play will be staged at the Noël Coward Theatre this summer, and was set to have two performances aimed at an “all-black-identifying audience” that is “free from the white gaze”.
Since the intervention by No 10, the producers of the play said they are "carefully considering" the black-only nights.
A statement from the producers to the PA news agency said: “Our intent is to celebrate the play with the widest possible audience.
“We want to increase accessibility to theatre for everyone.
“The Broadway production conceived Black Out nights and we are carefully considering how to incorporate this endeavour as part of two performances in our 13-week run.
“We will release further details soon. To be absolutely clear, no one will be prevented or precluded from attending any performance of Slave Play.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-03-01/no-10-criticises-london-theatres-divisive-plans-for-black-only-nights

I disagree over what the prime minister has said, let them have their black out nights..,, they'll lose money on thd project.

donttread
03-01-2024, 06:37 PM
https://images.ctfassets.net/pjshm78m9jt4/17Wvm5qIMHSPkQpVySaBFY/60dfada2967c778a1a537dd844157a77/GettyImages-1356934423.jpg?fm=jpg&fit=fill&w=400&h=225&q=80
Downing Street has said plans to hold black-only nights at a London theatre are "wrong and divisive".
Slave Play will be staged at the Noël Coward Theatre this summer, and was set to have two performances aimed at an “all-black-identifying audience” that is “free from the white gaze”.
Since the intervention by No 10, the producers of the play said they are "carefully considering" the black-only nights.
A statement from the producers to the PA news agency said: “Our intent is to celebrate the play with the widest possible audience.
“We want to increase accessibility to theatre for everyone.
“The Broadway production conceived Black Out nights and we are carefully considering how to incorporate this endeavour as part of two performances in our 13-week run.
“We will release further details soon. To be absolutely clear, no one will be prevented or precluded from attending any performance of Slave Play.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-03-01/no-10-criticises-london-theatres-divisive-plans-for-black-only-nights

I disagree over what the prime minister has said, let them have their black out nights..,, they'll lose money on thd project.

We never should have accepted reverse racism on the ridiculous premise than racism could only be one directional. That ridiculous premise and our tolerance of it, for which I am as guilty as most, opened us up for some of the most unproductive drivel the country has ever taken remotely seriously. Sure those in power can discriminate more because they have that power, but racism exist with or without power. The root cause of tribalism exist for all of us. We distrust/dislike different. A survival skill at one time which we no longer need.
Also, power comes at many times in many forms.
It's pretty simple.
Yes there is such a thing as systemic/institutional racism like that which existed before the CR movement.
But there is also racism among individuals, groups, organizations and that racism is omnidirectional. I mean how the hell do they think the systemic racism developed?
Tribal ethnocentrism is a human trait that probably saved lives during conflicts. So, it served it's purpose but we no longer need it.
To teach that only one group can be racist, I mean to really advocate teaching that to children could only be done by those with no interest in seeing racism reduced. Which just might be the people who benefit from it the most by pretending they are trying to eliminate it.

Sometime when i have the time and ambition I want to look up a lot of these social ills suffered by blacks but look at their prevalence for all races based up socio economic status.