PDA

View Full Version : Two UK Warships Collide, Tearing Hole in Side of Minesweeper

DonGlock26
01-19-2024, 07:58 PM
This reminds me of an old Spongebob episode with the Flying Dutchman.

Watch: Moment Two Warships Collide, Tearing Hole in Side of Minesweeper Protecting Gulf

Two British minesweepers collided while alongside at Bahrain on Thursday, video footage and the Ministry of Defence confirms, with level of damage observed suggesting ships may be out of action for some time.

Two of the three Royal Navy minesweepers assigned to the Gulf appear out of service, quite possibly for a considerable period of time, after a dramatic collision saw HMS Chiddingfold power into the flank of HMS Bangor while she lay alongside at Bahrain. While the cause of the collision has not yet been revealed, video footage obtained of the incident by the MilitaryBanter-Fill Your Boots UK Twitter account shows Chiddingfold appearing to accelerate as she backed towards Bangor, at least suggesting mechanical failure rather than operator error may have been to blame.

Breitbart News understands HMS Chiddingfold was attempting to get underway but did not respond to helm commands as expected, causing it to motor back towards land. UK Defence Journal cites a Royal Navy spokesman who acknowledged the collision had taken place. THey are reported to have said: “We are aware of an incident concerning two Minehunters alongside in Bahrain. There are no casualties as a result of this incident and it would be inappropriate to comment further whilst investigations are ongoing.”

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2024/01/19/watch-moment-two-warships-collide-tearing-hole-in-side-of-minesweeper-protecting-gulf/

Video of collision at above link:

Gator Monroe
01-19-2024, 08:03 PM
The Hooties are laughing at that one

teeceetx
01-19-2024, 08:17 PM
Regardless of the cause, it doesn't exactly engender confidence in the UK Navy, does it?

DonGlock26
01-19-2024, 08:29 PM
https://youtu.be/vOZMk-CkR4g?si=0stTxS4Upj7xchLV

DonGlock26
01-19-2024, 08:30 PM
Regardless of the cause, it doesn't exactly engender confidence in the UK Navy, does it?

To be fair, our destroyers were ramming merchantmen for a while there.

Crusader
01-19-2024, 08:36 PM
Crap happens, the UK has always been one of the top Navy’s in the world for a very long time. They were sailing and fighting all over the world long before we ever even thought of having a Navy, this incident doesn't affect my confidence in them. Heck it wasn’t too long ago that the US Navy couldn’t seem to stop running into things out in the pacific, I’ve never been in the navy but I gotta believe piloting those ships especially in tight crowded water ways ain’t easy.

Dr. Felix Birdbiter
01-19-2024, 10:24 PM
Crap happens, the UK has always been one of the top Navy’s in the world for a very long time. They were sailing and fighting all over the world long before we ever even thought of having a Navy, this incident doesn't affect my confidence in them. Heck it wasn’t too long ago that the US Navy couldn’t seem to stop running into things out in the pacific, I’ve never been in the navy but I gotta believe piloting those ships especially in tight crowded water ways ain’t easy.

I was in the Navy and watching the Commanding Officer bring our ship along side the dock and have it stop exactly where it was supposed to and making it look so easy was amazing. I don't think I could drive my car with the accuracy of the Captains. The other thing that always amazed me was heading out in the ocean, sailing for 2000 miles and arriving exactly where you were supposed to exactly when you were supposed to

Northern Rivers
01-19-2024, 11:44 PM
I lived at sea for a bit of my life. Stopping a 22 tonne boat where you want it is difficult enough...but...it doesn't matter. The skipper will be kippered over this. :dontknow:

Neo
01-20-2024, 03:10 AM
The captain of that vessel will no longer be a captain after an investigation of the proceedings.

Camp
01-20-2024, 06:39 AM
The BANGOR got banged all right.

Big Wheeler
01-20-2024, 10:40 AM
Come on! Fair does.chaps ! Anybody can hit the wrong gear !

DonGlock26
01-20-2024, 06:10 PM
Same ship was involved in a similar collision in 2021. :thinking:

Royal Navy captain 'smashes £100,000 hole in warship as he tries to dock it in the dark for the first time'

HMS Chiddingfold was being docked in Bahrain when it struck HMS Penzance
The 685 tonne Hunt-class mine hunter suffered two holes in her plastic hull
The vessel, which was launched in 1983, is in the Persian Gulf to protect shipping

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9442671/Royal-Navy-vessel-suffers-100-000-damage-docking-accident-Bahrain.html

Moonie
01-21-2024, 08:21 AM
One tends to think back to minesweepers (by name) as WWI and WWII stuff.

Silly to think that really, cos there are still mines.

The 'sweeping' might be a bit different now!

donttread
02-12-2024, 07:03 PM
This reminds me of an old Spongebob episode with the Flying Dutchman.

Video of collision at above link:

How the hell does that happen with modern equipment?

Dr. Felix Birdbiter
02-13-2024, 12:16 AM
I remember a Naval Captain who was relieved of his command because his ship ran aground. The reason he ran aground was because the charts were incorrect, not anything he directly did. Still, cost him his career.

Canadianeye
02-13-2024, 01:59 AM
It's been years since I thought about Mchales Navy.