PDA

View Full Version : Majority of Tory rebel MPs agree to back Rwanda Bill In tonight’s crucial vote

Neo
01-17-2024, 03:54 PM
The majority of hardline Tory MPs who had threatened to defy the Government on the Rwanda Bill have decided to vote for the legislation.
Following a meeting on Wednesday evening, the rebel MPs said most would be supporting Rishi Sunak and his flagship immigration plan.

Some 60 Tory MPs revolted against the Bill on Tuesday night and Lee Anderson and Brendan Clarke-Smith dramatically quit as Conservative Party deputy chairmen (https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-rwanda-bill-quit-rebellion-lee-anderson-b1132778.html) to join the rebels.

Downing Street said the Bill is "as tough as it can be" while keeping the Rwandans on board with the scheme. Rightwing MPs wanted to force through amendments designed to make it harder for asylum seekers to appeal against deportation to the African nation.

At least four Conservative MPs, including former cabinet ministers Robert Jenrick and Suella Braverman, had said they are prepared to vote against the policy if it is not strengthened.
But despite the rebellion, and the blow to Mr Sunak's authority, Downing Street remains confident that the Bill as a whole will pass in a vote on Wednesday evening.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs-today-rwanda-bill-vote-rishi-sunak-conservatives-parliament-b1132906.html

The bill WILL pass in the House of Commons tonight.

old dog
01-17-2024, 03:56 PM
And then your courts will gut it?

Neo
01-17-2024, 04:00 PM
It’s just been learned that Jacob Rees Mogg addressed the rebellion MPs telling them the bill was not perfect but as perfect as it can get running up to an election.

Neo
01-17-2024, 04:01 PM
And then your courts will gut it?
No! Not if it’s made Parliamentary law.

Neo
01-17-2024, 04:03 PM
The vote live now. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68001957

Neo
01-17-2024, 04:05 PM
The bill will pass comfortably in my opinion at 9:30pm tonight :)

Neo
01-17-2024, 04:38 PM
Yes……..320

No………276

Abstained 44

The vote passed in the house.

A great night in British politics. :)

Neo
01-17-2024, 05:15 PM
Rwanda bill: Relief for Rishi Sunak as legislation passes final Commons hurdle

Despite threats of a Tory rebellion, the prime minister's flagship policy clears the Commons with only a small number voting against - but a further battle awaits him in the House of Lords.
https://news.sky.com/story/rwanda-bill-relief-for-rishi-sunak-as-legislation-passes-final-commons-hurdle-13050320

A huge relief is an understatement.

Physics Hunter
01-18-2024, 02:06 AM
I don't completely understand, we have our own problems, but I am happy for you...

Neo
01-18-2024, 05:32 AM
I don't completely understand, we have our own problems, but I am happy for you...
American is so much more interesting than what's happening outside it eh?

Trinnity
01-18-2024, 08:55 AM
Neo, what's the bill about?

Neo
01-18-2024, 05:32 PM
Neo, what's the bill about?

Trinnity…surely you have heard of the Tory government’s plan to send illegal immigrants to the African country Rwanda, there they will have 5 years staying there to have the claim of asylum granted, or not. ……it’s a deterrent…..to stop the illegals crossing the English Channel in small inflatable boats.

Neo
01-18-2024, 05:36 PM
It’s true…..Americans know so little of world news. Newspaper cover one page of world news….the Rwanda bill would have a 2 inch column

Physics Hunter
01-18-2024, 11:11 PM
American is so much more interesting than what's happening outside it eh?

Actually, our domestic news sources only cover world news if we are sending Soldiers, Weapons, Aid, or Money there...

Physics Hunter
01-18-2024, 11:13 PM
Trinnity…surely you have heard of the Tory government’s plan to send illegal immigrants to the African country Rwanda, there they will have 5 years staying there to have the claim of asylum granted, or not. ……it’s a deterrent…..to stop the illegals crossing the English Channel in small inflatable boats.
Nope, or just a glancing mention somewhere...

To get Rwanda to go along with this does Britain have to Make Rwanda Great Again or some such?

Neo
01-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Nope, or just a glancing mention somewhere...

To get Rwanda to go along with this does Britain have to Make Rwanda Great Again or some such?
No! It's a financial deal. We have already paid the Rwanda government £230million and not one has been sent there due to legal challenges from the European court of human rights.... it's a right old bollocks... why we haven't left all of the Euro justice shite long ago I'll never know?

Physics Hunter
01-19-2024, 02:18 AM
No! It's a financial deal. We have already paid the Rwanda government £230million and not one has been sent there due to legal challenges from the European court of human rights.... it's a right old bollocks... why we haven't left all of the Euro justice shite long ago I'll never know?

I am truly sorry. But look at Ukraine.

A working bribe for kleptokrats to kill their country for you is now in the $100-500B range.

No worries, though, they will kick back 10% to your betters, like they did ours.

Neo
01-19-2024, 05:01 AM
A new edict from Zalensky is he will start taxing all Ukrainians outside of Ukraine for the war effort.... stay tuned

DonGlock26
01-19-2024, 09:30 AM

I think it's a cop out. The UK needs to leave the European court of human rights.

From what I've heard, if the person sent to Rwanda commits a crime, they go back to the UK.
Now, what are the odds that these "refugees" will commit crimes to go to the UK?
This reeks of the Tories saying one thing, while doing quite another.

Neo
01-19-2024, 10:40 AM
I think it's a cop out. The UK needs to leave the European court of human rights.

From what I've heard, if the person sent to Rwanda commits a crime, they go back to the UK.
Now, what are the odds that these "refugees" will commit crimes to go to the UK?
This reeks of the Tories saying one thing, while doing quite another.

Totally agree with you on that one Don, the Tories should have left the Euro human rights years ago.