PDA

View Full Version : UK weather: Four days of snow and ice chaos ahead....

Moonie
01-15-2024, 12:23 PM
UK weather: Four days of snow and ice chaos ahead as Met Office extends weather warnings to more of northern England with the white stuff set to hit the South by Wednesday amid Arctic blast sending temperatures plummeting to -10C

Temperatures drop to -10.1C this morning with 7cm (3in) of snow falling already Met Office snow warnings in place throughout Britain from today until Thursday

By MARK DUELL
15 January 2024

Snow warnings were extended in Britain today as an Arctic blast saw three inches accumulate, temperatures plunge to -10C (14F), travel chaos and school closures.

dailymail (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12965325/UK-weather-snow-map-Met-Office-ice-warnings-London-temperatures.html)

Moonie
01-15-2024, 12:24 PM
At least it's too cold to rain there, my fellow climate warming worshippers.

Trinnity
01-15-2024, 01:21 PM
Every week the weather peoples' hair is on fire bc they've been predicting weather disaster for the third week straight. Ratings.

It was supposed to be a snow/ice storm tomorrow. Bupkis.
Tornados last Tuesday...nope
Storms the Tuesday before that. meh
Thor is having a laff at us bowlers but off we go.

hahahaha tomorrow we bowl~

Trinnity
01-15-2024, 01:22 PM
Moonie, are you gonna get all that stuff or are your weather people crazy woke too?

Oh. We were supposed to get freezing rain today.

nope

Just went outside and didn't need a hat.

teeceetx
01-15-2024, 01:27 PM
OMG! Climate change ... Climate Change!

We must stop this!!

Moonie
01-15-2024, 01:42 PM
My sense of humour on these warnings is worse than their predictions!

dinosaur
01-15-2024, 02:34 PM
:thinking: Well, as bad as the predictions are, I appreciate the weather peoples and their warnings, anyway. Today, I am protecting all my citrus trees from a hard freeze. We might get down to 22-23 for an hour, about 10 hours total below freezing. Not a big deal for me, but for sensitive fruit trees, I appreciate a few days heads up notice. It takes time to prepare straw, and blankets, and heating pots.

Last week we had wind. The predictions were pretty much right on. Panama City Beach got hit hard with a tornado, and it skipped all the up to Marianna to take out a church up there. I helped a friend to get his generator going, and his power was off 3 days. He's not in good health, and keeping the genset going wore him out. We only had a few trees down, dead ones anyways, and our power stayed on. Because we had wind warning, we took down our canopies so they were not ruined. That happened twice in the same week.

All in all, the weather people do a decent enough job that I can count of knowing what preparations to prioritize. I compare several sources to figure it out, and I ignore the climate crazy doom and gloom people at the Weather Channel.

Sis was stuck in -30 wind chill in Illinois yesterday. I hope everyone survives the cold with no frozen pipes.

Neo
01-15-2024, 02:38 PM
It was cold this morning, not cold enough for a frosty windshield.

Moonie
01-15-2024, 03:07 PM
:thinking: Well, as bad as the predictions are, I appreciate the weather peoples and their warnings, anyway. Today, I am protecting all my citrus trees from a hard freeze. We might get down to 22-23 for an hour, about 10 hours total below freezing. Not a big deal for me, but for sensitive fruit trees, I appreciate a few days heads up notice. It takes time to prepare straw, and blankets, and heating pots.

Last week we had wind. The predictions were pretty much right on. Panama City Beach got hit hard with a tornado, and it skipped all the up to Marianna to take out a church up there. I helped a friend to get his generator going, and his power was off 3 days. He's not in good health, and keeping the genset going wore him out. We only had a few trees down, dead ones anyways, and our power stayed on. Because we had wind warning, we took down our canopies so they were not ruined. That happened twice in the same week.

All in all, the weather people do a decent enough job that I can count of knowing what preparations to prioritize. I compare several sources to figure it out, and I ignore the climate crazy doom and gloom people at the Weather Channel.

Sis was stuck in -30 wind chill in Illinois yesterday. I hope everyone survives the cold with no frozen pipes.

I suggest she moves away from the lake wind chill.

While being a Wisconsinite myself, I am away from Michigan itself. The Lake Geneva blowing of wind is bad enough in the bars outside of season, let alone from those of Illinois wafting through our bars.

Neo
01-15-2024, 05:04 PM
The snow is going to be a long way away from my shire.

https://i.postimg.cc/25LhMZwP/IMG-4241.png (https://postimg.cc/4KZYhnj5)

Big Wheeler
01-15-2024, 05:44 PM
I find the British reaction to snow embarassing considering the amount of snowfall in north America and parts of europe.We may get an inch and it's a catastrophe.Trains stop and roads are closed usually by people who have never learnt to drive in snow.I have a set of snow chains in my car whichI have never used here.I use them when required on my occasional trips around Europe.They are a ballache but needs and sometimes local laws must.A severe frost is enough to close roads from Sheffield to Manchester over the pennine Hills,the backbone of England,and that's close to 1000 ft.above sea level.The highest "mountain" in England is 3216 ft which would probably be a bump in the road in most US states.

Physics Hunter
01-16-2024, 01:12 AM
14F is still short pants weather...

You Brits have no clue how much shit we tolerated just to get away from you! :smiley_ROFLMAO:

(Lighthearted Anglo ribbing...)

I fear only ice, because NOBODY can drive on ice without studded tires...
We were going to dinner with friends tonight, after getting a (not forecasted) 3" (75mm) of snow. I cleaned an AWD car, thawed it out and decided to test the traction. I slid a yard down after doing a hard stop from about 5mph. The double black diamond driveway will need another plow tomorrow.

MrsPH and I walked down and took the 4WD F150 down to town for dinner. Our friends grew up in upstate NY, we laughed that this was not a real snow storm.

Neo
01-16-2024, 04:42 AM
I find the British reaction to snow embarassing considering the amount of snowfall in north America and parts of europe.We may get an inch and it's a catastrophe.Trains stop and roads are closed usually by people who have never learnt to drive in snow.I have a set of snow chains in my car whichI have never used here.I use them when required on my occasional trips around Europe.They are a ballache but needs and sometimes local laws must.A severe frost is enough to close roads from Sheffield to Manchester over the pennine Hills,the backbone of England,and that's close to 1000 ft.above sea level.The highest "mountain" in England is 3216 ft which would probably be a bump in the road in most US states.

It was below freezing last night but I had to turn the hotel heating down. When I woke I looked out of my window and expected a massive frost, but! the only thing I saw was a frosty windshield on my motor, this was terrible, I had to sit with the engine running for a good ten minute before going to work to clear it.

ruthless terrier
01-16-2024, 07:23 AM
14F is still short pants weather.

yeh i see the crazies out there in the ice with their tee shirts on. for me the jeans and jacket come out for anything below 60F. my father in law said anything below 70F is cold. i should live down in the caribbean like my brother :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Big Wheeler
01-16-2024, 09:14 AM
You Brits have no clue how much shit we tolerated just to get away from you! :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Yes but the worst kick in the nuts was that you chose the French to help you do it !

Neo
01-16-2024, 12:47 PM

Yes but the worst kick in the nuts was that you chose the French to help you do it !

America's great shame.

Kodiak
01-16-2024, 12:58 PM
yeh i see the crazies out there in the ice with their tee shirts on. for me the jeans and jacket come out for anything below 60F. my father in law said anything below 70F is cold. i should live down in the caribbean like my brother :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Man, I am the same way. Cannot tolerate cold whatsoever. I would much rather sweat than shiver.

Moonie
01-16-2024, 02:47 PM

America's great shame.

If you had achieved anything from the Revolution in regards to the French aid you received then your restaurants would be better.

Neo
01-16-2024, 04:41 PM

If you had achieved anything from the Revolution in regards to the French aid you received then your restaurants would be better.

We have Gordon Ramsey, he loves ripping American restaurants kitchens and cousines to shreds. :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Physics Hunter
01-16-2024, 11:38 PM
I think it would be considered torture for humans to have to live anywhere above 80F... :smiley_ROFLMAO: