PDA

View Full Version : The first fall of snow in the shire

Neo
12-11-2022, 04:34 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/kXbvgBnr/50-B0261-B-01-EC-4-F32-98-FC-497-DDF19-B10-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/6yBvH62z)

Neo
12-11-2022, 05:38 AM
Taken up on the escarpment by Coopers hill.

https://i.postimg.cc/sg83YY1X/3-FE5-DDC2-9-DA3-46-F1-B28-D-C7-A90-E07287-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/XrfM3yfS)

Northern Rivers
12-11-2022, 05:53 AM
Cool!!!

(Seriously...:cool20:)

Neo
12-11-2022, 07:54 AM
Cool!!!

(Seriously...:cool20:)

Hmmm! Methinks you haven’t lived in a Northern hemisphere winter climate, the temperature went down to -8c last night in the shire, we were lucky we are at sea level, other shires had -10c-11c temperatures.
I have to go out sometime today in the car, I’m not looking forward to driving in this white filth, it’s taking your life in your hands, younger people do not know how to drive in snow and ice, they drive fast thinking their expensive tyres will stop them when breaking.

The wife has the heating turned up by 2c today, she feels the cold more than I do, men and women are not the same, men are adapted to the cold, we have better circulation, have you ever felt a womans feet or hands in bed on a cold night? I rest my case.

Men have more circulation, it’s a fact, probably from our hunter gathering days during the ice age in Europe. Having gone to school with Jamaican guys I can attest this is true, white Northern Europeans like myself are better equipped to survive.

The temperature will start diving again as soon as the sun starts to lower in the sky, the snow will freeze, if more snow arrives tomorrow it’s going to be a bad few weeks.

mr claws
12-11-2022, 08:07 AM
At this point in my life I prefer to see snow in pictures... fallen somewhere else... FAR, FAR AWAY!!!

Neo
12-11-2022, 08:20 AM
At this point in my life I prefer to see snow in pictures... fallen somewhere else... FAR, FAR AWAY!!!
A friend sent me this 2 minutes ago of what it’s like in Painswick (Cotswolds) it’s high on the hills surrounding the city where I live. It’ll be colder up there high on the escarpment. (Houses up there are all Cotswold stone not brick like mine)

https://i.postimg.cc/TPybJw4T/80-DF82-E4-0-C57-4-A39-89-F8-C213480113-FE.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7Ckbxx4R)

UKSmartypants
12-11-2022, 08:24 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/kXbvgBnr/50-B0261-B-01-EC-4-F32-98-FC-497-DDF19-B10-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/6yBvH62z)

Presumably the keyhole for the front door is only visible by the last light on Durins Day ? Do you employ a Hobbit to find it?

UKSmartypants
12-11-2022, 08:30 AM
Hmmm! Methinks you haven’t lived in a Northern hemisphere winter climate, the temperature went down to -8c last night in the shire, we were lucky we are at sea level, other shires had -10c-11c temperatures.
I have to go out sometime today in the car, I’m not looking forward to driving in this white filth, it’s taking your life in your hands, younger people do not know how to drive in snow and ice, they drive fast thinking their expensive tyres will stop them when breaking.

The wife has the heating turned up by 2c today, she feels the cold more than I do, men and women are not the same, men are adapted to the cold, we have better circulation, have you ever felt a womans feet or hands in bed on a cold night? I rest my case.

Men have more circulation, it’s a fact, probably from our hunter gathering days during the ice age in Europe. Having gone to school with Jamaican guys I can attest this is true, white Northern Europeans like myself are better equipped to survive.

The temperature will start diving again as soon as the sun starts to lower in the sky, the snow will freeze, if more snow arrives tomorrow it’s going to be a bad few weeks.

21c in the day, 16c at night here.

My decision to fuck off to Spain 5 years ago increasingly turns out to be such a good call...

ruthless terrier
12-11-2022, 08:45 AM
snow .. peaceful and pretty .. but you can have it and the freezing weather that goes with it. i'll take something over 70F please.

UKSmartypants
12-11-2022, 09:49 AM
snow .. peaceful and pretty .. but you have have it and the freezing weather that goes with it. i'll take something over 70F please.

Lawrence "Titus" Oates, (Robert Scotts friend) may well beg to differ.

Old Ridge Runner
12-11-2022, 10:20 AM

I like to see it for Christmas after that it can leave with temps in at least the 40s.

Moonie
12-11-2022, 10:29 AM
Admittedly in the lane outside of my old Gloucestershire residence that would have had the farm staff shelving their picks (and tractoral means of employment) as too for dangerous for a day's work.

But in southern Wisconsin the local government has seen fit to give us practical road clearing facilities.

MedicineBow
12-11-2022, 10:34 AM
My world is white nearly half the year. At my Wyoming home it can snow any day of the year. I've seen summertime snows a few times. But, the beauty of the high country is amazing. Now the sub zero temperatures are a different story.....especially as I'm getting older.

ruthless terrier
12-11-2022, 10:51 AM
But, the beauty of the high country is amazing.

in the summer. in the summer.

Abbey
12-11-2022, 11:01 AM
in the summer. in the summer.

All year 'round.

BooBoo
12-11-2022, 11:29 AM

https://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/source/skype/289/christmas-tree_1f384.png

Big Wheeler
12-11-2022, 12:50 PM
A good half inch of snow is enough to bring all UK transport to a standstill.My Norwegian neighbour in Spain thinks we're hilarious and a tiny bit useless.Having worked in Switzerland I have chains in my car but have never used them.If the road is blocked.It's blocked.

JustPassinThru
12-11-2022, 01:59 PM

You're late to the party! The Northwest US has been under more-or-less constant snow since November 1!

I used to love the snow. First, to play in it...with sleds on local hills when I was little. Then, longer hills, and then skiing. I used to drive 150 miles in winter conditions from Cleveland to rural New York...snow country, the whole trip...to go skiing. Front-wheel-drive helped. So, too, did it help that people didn't drive as crazily as they do now.

But, over the years of working in the snow - sometimes even driving the snowplow - and then having to drive long distances into work (65 miles when I worked out of Buffalo)...AND operating railroad equipment in snow (often very-old equipment...one of our CN locomotives, in Wisconsin, was a 1965 build) I've just had enough. Cold feet hurt. Wet feet are annoying and lead to toe fungus. Dressing up to go out is a pain.

The natural progression of age. When I was a kid, I didn't understand Florida. Now I just crave a chance to move there...

JustPassinThru
12-11-2022, 02:04 PM
A good half inch of snow is enough to bring all UK transport to a standstill.My Norwegian neighbour in Spain thinks we're hilarious and a tiny bit useless.Having worked in Switzerland I have chains in my car but have never used them.If the road is blocked.It's blocked.
It all depends on what the area is used to.

I saw a dusting of snow on the roads, bring Houston to a complete standstill and emergency. I saw a freezing-rain storm in San Antonio, stop all traffic for three days. Because neither place had any meaningful snow-removal equipment.

My Northeast Ohio home, had snowplows - light-duty dump trucks (one-ton pickup chassis) with 4WD and a plow on the front. Inexpensive and totally adequate for the job, along with a couple of road-salt spreaders.

In rural New York, the snow gear starts with winged Oshkosh plow trucks - specialty trucks, as large as semi tractors. From there it goes to "rotary snowplows" - that look like a giant-size Toro snowblower, mounted on the front of a truck. A second diesel engine powers the snowblower; and there's a second operator to run it from the shotgun seat.

So, when Buffalo gets four feet of snow overnight...the roads are opened quickly. There's often fatalities around those things, too...they're like open-faced meat grinders. Incredibly dangerous.

But, if Switzerland doesn't get heavy snow in the cities, yes, an inch will stop everything. Except for the work of Davos Man....

Old Ridge Runner
12-12-2022, 10:11 AM
Admittedly in the lane outside of my old Gloucestershire residence that would have had the farm staff shelving their picks (and tractoral means of employment) as too for dangerous for a day's work.

But in southern Wisconsin the local government has seen fit to give us practical road clearing facilities.

When we lived at the home place, we had an agreement with the farmer down the road from us. He plowed us out in the winter, and we permitted him to us our field to grow corm for his cows.

Old Ridge Runner
12-12-2022, 10:16 AM
My world is white nearly half the year. At my Wyoming home it can snow any day of the year. I've seen summertime snows a few times. But, the beauty of the high country is amazing. Now the sub zero temperatures are a different story.....especially as I'm getting older.

I'm in the same boat. When I was younger, I loved the winter. Now that I'm a crusty old fart, it's harder for me in the winter.

Abbey
12-12-2022, 10:31 AM
I'm in the same boat. When I was younger, I loved the winter. Now that I'm a crusty old fart, it's harder for me in the winter.

I guess I'm fortunate, winter doesn't affect me like that.

I love Winter, I love cold and snow.

I'm an oddball.

Neo
12-12-2022, 11:06 AM
You're late to the party! The Northwest US has been under more-or-less constant snow since November 1!

I used to love the snow. First, to play in it...with sleds on local hills when I was little. Then, longer hills, and then skiing. I used to drive 150 miles in winter conditions from Cleveland to rural New York...snow country, the whole trip...to go skiing. Front-wheel-drive helped. So, too, did it help that people didn't drive as crazily as they do now.

But, over the years of working in the snow - sometimes even driving the snowplow - and then having to drive long distances into work (65 miles when I worked out of Buffalo)...AND operating railroad equipment in snow (often very-old equipment...one of our CN locomotives, in Wisconsin, was a 1965 build) I've just had enough. Cold feet hurt. Wet feet are annoying and lead to toe fungus. Dressing up to go out is a pain.

The natural progression of age. When I was a kid, I didn't understand Florida. Now I just crave a chance to move there...
Although Britain is on the same latitude as Scandinavia (Denmark) we have the Gulf Stream to keep us to a temperate climate usually, not as severe, yes we do get the occasional snow falling in December and January but it only settles. A big snowfall is around for a week before disappearing.

Moonie
12-12-2022, 03:02 PM
When we lived at the home place, we had an agreement with the farmer down the road from us. He plowed us out in the winter, and we permitted him to us our field to grow corm for his cows.
Ditto!

That's what you do. Rather than upset the squire in his (in this case) soporific weed fest.

El Guapo
12-12-2022, 03:02 PM
I hate snow. It's one of the reasons I remain in this liberal fuckwit cesspool. It rains all winter, but at least I don't have to shovel it.

d0gbreath
12-12-2022, 03:40 PM
I hate snow. It's one of the reasons I remain in this liberal fuckwit cesspool. It rains all winter, but at least I don't have to shovel it.

Move to Texas Guapo. It's a conservative whatever you said, and we get very little snow. Most years none.