PDA

View Full Version : Can King Charles convert to Catholicism?

Authentic
09-20-2022, 04:27 PM
Not that he is planning to do so (to my knowledge), but could King Charles become a Catholic while on the throne?

Does he really have to be an Anglican?

Trinnity
09-20-2022, 04:29 PM
Are you just bored?

Authentic
09-20-2022, 04:38 PM
Are you just bored?

No. I am researching the history of the monarchy.

James II was the last Catholic king of England.

An act of parliament appears to have prohibited Catholic monarchs, but times have changed.

Edward VIII abdicated so he could marry a divorced woman, but Charles is himself divorced.

I want to know what the Brits think or know about the religious prohibition and if it could be "revisited" if its purpose is no longer culturally relevant.

This stuff is fascinating.

Constitutional crises and all!

dinosaur
09-20-2022, 04:46 PM
Hell, man, King Charles III is the head of the Church of England! "Supreme Governor".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Governor_of_the_Church_of_England

He ain't goin' nowhere!

Authentic
09-20-2022, 04:50 PM
Queen Anne was James II's daughter.

She died with no living issue (after 17 pregnancies) and her Catholic half-brother's claim to the throne was rejected in favor of her Cousin George of Hanover (George I).

They took the religion thing very seriously around the turn of the 18th century.

Kodiak
09-20-2022, 04:52 PM
What is he now? I assumed he was already a Catholic, but I know squat about the British Monarchs. Just never cared. :dontknow:

Authentic
09-20-2022, 04:54 PM
Hell, man, King Charles III is the head of the Church of England! "Supreme Governor".

He ain't goin' nowhere!

That is what I am getting at. He is head of the state church by an act of parliament, and presumably would have to abdicate if he changed religions.

I concede that is an academic question, but it is one that hasn't been considered much in 70 years, or longer.

Her Majesty epitomized stability in my mind - she was always the queen since I became aware of such things.

Authentic
09-20-2022, 04:57 PM
What is he now? I assumed he was already a Catholic, but I know squat about the British Monarchs. Just never cared. :dontknow:

Anglican, which is what you call someone who is of the Church of England.

It evolved out of the English Reformation (of the Roman Catholic Church) around 500 years ago.

Traddles
09-20-2022, 04:57 PM
After Bloody Mary and then Philip II of Spain's attempt to conquer and reconvert England to Catholicism, being a Catholic in England in the 17th Century became, umm, difficult. I guess "seriously" would be an apt word.

Authentic
09-20-2022, 05:01 PM
Episcopalians are the Anglicans in America.

I have a relative who really doesn't like Episcopalians, probably because they seem too Catholic.

Neo
09-20-2022, 05:02 PM

Good god man! Have you not heard of the “Church of England” CofE

Trinnity
09-20-2022, 05:10 PM
The premise is ridiculous. Charles is Keeper of the Faith and head of the Anglican Church. That won't change.

Authentic
09-20-2022, 05:13 PM
The premise is ridiculous. Charles is Keeper of the Faith and head of the Anglican Church. That won't change.

I understand that. I am getting more at the abstract question; could the monarch convert and remain on the throne?

In 1936, it is doubtful whether Charles would have been allowed to be king (because of divorcing Diana and marrying Camilla).

Moonie
09-20-2022, 05:52 PM
No. Not going to happen.

Unless he wants to recede the throne to William (which no one would complain about unless William becomes a communist).

dinosaur
09-20-2022, 05:57 PM
The Queen, as you say, provided stability. Why would her son want to upset the apple cart now?

And this religion thingy ... I think it is still very important to them.

Off the subject, but somewhat connected ... How about this guy in Australia who claims to be the love child of Charles and Camilla? Far out there kook, or semi plausible? Easily proven/disproven with modern DNA technology, although it might be difficult to get DNA from the King or his Queen Consort. What happens to the line of succession if he were in fact their love child? William and Harry both out in the cold? :dontknow:

Moonie
09-20-2022, 06:01 PM
What happens to the line of succession if he were in fact their love child? William and Harry both out in the cold? :dontknow:

How old is this Australian bushwasher? Is he claiming that Charles and Camilla produced him in the Seventies (to pre-date the 1/2 legitimate offspring of the Royal lines?).

Quark
09-20-2022, 06:02 PM
Not that he is planning to do so (to my knowledge), but could King Charles become a Catholic while on the throne?

Does he really have to be an Anglican?No he can't convert to Catholicism or any other religion and yes he must remain Anglican to remain on the throne.

Authentic
09-20-2022, 06:36 PM
How old is this Australian bushwasher? Is he claiming that Charles and Camilla produced him in the Seventies (to pre-date the 1/2 legitimate offspring of the Royal lines?).

I think King Edward VIII said something along the lines of "no one lives in Australia, and it doesn't matter what they think."

Call_me_Ishmael
09-20-2022, 06:40 PM

I have a relative who really doesn't like Episcopalians, probably because they seem too Catholic.

Baptized in Greek Orthodox
But brought up in Episcopal church
That was long ago. Episcopalians are the wokest of those who claim to be Christian.
It might as well be a universalist umpty ump humanist club.

JustPassinThru
09-20-2022, 06:41 PM
I am trying to remember which of Henry's progeny, was herself a Catholic, and tried to reunite the Church of England with Rome.

IIRC, it cost this woman the throne.

The premise is not ridiculous; but in our Woketard Age, I doubt it matters. If you want to be absolutely alone...go to a church in Europe or the UK. You'll be the only one there, except maybe for the priest.

Authentic
09-20-2022, 06:46 PM
I am trying to remember which of Henry's progeny, was herself a Catholic, and tried to reunite the Church of England with Rome.

IIRC, it cost this woman the throne.
Mary was Catholic and she became queen.

I don't know if she ever mixed vodka and tomato juice.

She had a bunch of people executed by burning and other nasty methods, and thus is called Bloody Mary.

Moonie
09-20-2022, 07:15 PM
In keeping with his forthcoming Subjects Charles will have to become the Imam al-Windsorum.

memesofine
09-20-2022, 07:20 PM
OLD Charlie the adulterer, is another big "Great Reset" fan, radical environmentalist. He is tight with Bill Gates, Klaus the Schwab, Albert bore Gore and etc etc. They will really cause us havoc now that he is some Bigshot King. mark my words

dinosaur
09-20-2022, 08:05 PM

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/australian-man-at-centre-of-royal-scandal/news-story/4300a26c47fece8be582af2cc715fa05

Two minute skim read. He is about 57 or so. His claim is that Charles and Camilla first met at the funeral of Winston Churchill. Royals claim they did not meet until later. The King would have been what, 17-18 at the time alleged?

Trinnity
09-20-2022, 08:17 PM
I am trying to remember which of Henry's progeny, was herself a Catholic, Mary, his daughter with Catherine of Aragon.

JustPassinThru
09-20-2022, 08:20 PM
Mary, Queen of Scots.

Bloody Mary.

Thanks for the prompt.

Northern Rivers
09-20-2022, 08:22 PM

He ain't goin' nowhere!He'll follow the entrenched gobbledygook.

Authentic
09-20-2022, 08:27 PM
I think King Edward VIII said something along the lines of "no one lives in Australia, and it doesn't matter what they think."

He is also supposed to have been a Nazi sympathizer.

Authentic
09-20-2022, 08:28 PM
Mary, Queen of Scots.

Bloody Mary.

Thanks for the prompt.

Two different people.

I had forgotten about Mary, Queen of Scots.

Was she Catholic too?

JustPassinThru
09-20-2022, 08:30 PM
I can't remember.

I'd search Wikipukia, but since it's not about ray cysts, they probably don't have it right and don't care.

Taxcutter
09-20-2022, 09:23 PM
Those King Charleses have a way of losing their heads...

Traddles
09-21-2022, 08:11 AM

The Church of England (16th Century) and Martin Luther both only lightly modified the Catholic liturgy. Other Protestant bodies, especially in the most recent century or so, organized their orders of service more simply and less formally. Having been raised in a theologically conservative Lutheran denomination, the one Catholic mass I've been at, a wedding, had much in the liturgy that was familiar; someone from a Baptist or Pentecostal background would have found it pretty much entirely foreign.

Traddles
09-21-2022, 08:20 AM

One lost his head. The other was killed by his way of life (e.g. he had several sons by several women, but none by his wife). I guess one could say both were killed by their life choices (Charles I chose VERY unwisely).

Authentic
09-22-2022, 01:47 PM

Maybe Charles III will be deposed and Boris will return as Lord Protector.

mr claws
09-22-2022, 02:00 PM
Maybe Charles III will be deposed and Boris will return as Lord Protector.
Here's a potential fly in the ointment from Down Under... and it ain't got nothin' to do with Charles and Camilla's shenanigans. Is This Australian Man The Real King Of England? | Britain's Real Monarch | Timeline - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVzDf-KhXU&t=284s)

potlatch
09-22-2022, 02:29 PM
I have not read clear through the thread so don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've known from my 21 years online that Charles highly favored Islam. He was even outspoken about it and mullahs and the grand mufti of Cyprus have even privately said that he became a muslim while in Turkey.

---Charles first delivered a major address on Islam on October 27, 1993, at the Sheldonian Theatre at Oxford where he is a vice patron of the Centre for Islamic Studies.

He praises the "Islamic revival" of the 1980s and portrays Islam as Britain's salvation. (https://www.meforum.org/356/prince-charles-of-arabia)

---For years I felt that Queen Elizabeth held on to the 'crown' in the hopes she could pass it to William instead of Charles. I'm afraid 'King Charles III's beliefs don't bode well for the British people. :dontknow: