PDA

View Full Version : All new cars will be fitted with speed inhibitors to stop speeding.

Neo
07-05-2022, 01:12 PM
BRITS are being warned about a major new law coming into effect tomorrow that will see your car automatically slow down if you are caught speeding
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/19100964/driving-warning-law-change-tomorrow-speeding/

Big Dummy
07-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Will it keeps moozie trucks from driving the speed limit down the sidewalks?

Authentic
07-05-2022, 01:20 PM
If only a speed inhibitor had been installed on Titanic.

Hairball
07-05-2022, 01:22 PM
I was talking to a co-worker about that possibility the other day. That could actually be dangerous if you're going with the flow of traffic and everyone's speeding. The cars with the inhibitors will suddenly slow down and that could create a mess.

Authentic
07-05-2022, 01:23 PM
So, if a woman is trying to flee an abuser driving an older vehicle, she won't be able to get away.

Feminists should love this!

Neo
07-05-2022, 01:23 PM
It’s terrible over here. There are CCTV cameras every 1/2 mile on both sides of the motorways, we are severely watched.
The cops have been begging this system to be introduced…..well now it’s coming. :(

Victory101
07-05-2022, 01:32 PM
wait until they put the carbon credit limiters on cars, if you exceed your allotment the car will not start until you replenish your account.
Coming to America...

El Guapo
07-05-2022, 01:38 PM
The thralls probably welcome it.

Neo
07-05-2022, 01:52 PM
We are surely in the hands of big brother.

Moonie
07-05-2022, 02:16 PM
The thralls probably welcome it.

Consider me a thrall then.

Summer holidays and juniors with a license don't do it for me. And I typically start work at 11pm so I love the pissheads on the road at the time (speeding or otherwise).

Neo
07-05-2022, 02:52 PM
Consider me a thrall then.

Summer holidays and juniors with a license don't do it for me. And I typically start work at 11pm so I love the pissheads on the road at the time (speeding or otherwise).
At 05:45 on the M5 from junction 11 southbound Monday to Friday there is no speed limit :)

Moonie
07-05-2022, 03:48 PM
Don't turn off at Swindon. Persevere and wait for signs to Cirencester!

Sunsettommy
07-05-2022, 03:55 PM
BRITS are being warned about a major new law coming into effect tomorrow that will see your car automatically slow down if you are caught speeding
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/19100964/driving-warning-law-change-tomorrow-speeding/

Some car owners will have them removed no matter what the law says as they crave the high speeds.

Big Wheeler
07-05-2022, 04:34 PM
It's a new EU law that will be adopted by the UK from tomorrow.All new cars have to have a speed limiter fitted.Heavy trucks have had them for years with an official 90 kph(56 mph) limit though some may do 91 kph starting the familiar elephant race.Will we now see the Beemer drivers doing the same at 70/71 mph.With all the electronics in cars these days I imagine it will be easy to control vehicle speeds from a motorway gantry without any driver input.

UKSmartypants
07-05-2022, 04:43 PM
Ive no doubt one of the Internet Smart Kids will come up with a way to disable it. The combined Tech brains of Sony, Disney and Microsoft have in 20 years failed to stop software and video piracy, they came up with DRM, within two weeks it had been broken.

Dan40
07-05-2022, 05:01 PM

Used car prices soar!!!

mr claws
07-05-2022, 05:04 PM
So, what happens (and it will, if not already in the works) that BY LAW tampering with, and/or disabling such "safety devices" is deemed a criminal offence on par with drunken driving... or worse. We're talkin' the Nanny State here.

UKSmartypants
07-05-2022, 05:07 PM
Used car prices soar!!!

They will anyway, because your average Brit doesnt have £50k to splash out on a new EV, and old EV's will need new batteries at £2000 to £8000 a throw.

IN Spain here this isnt a problem because old cars dont rust so any car thats got a good engine is worth money and keeps going , my current car is a 2003 and doesnt have a spot of rust on it anywhere, and runs fine

However, in the UK, you can hear cars rusting when its quiet, and not many cars get past 10 years old without turning into a pile of ferric oxide. so old cars will become scarcer faster and thus more expensive.

Neo
07-05-2022, 05:44 PM
They will anyway, because your average Brit doesnt have £50k to splash out on a new EV, and old EV's will need new batteries at £2000 to £8000 a throw.

IN Spain here this isnt a problem because old cars dont rust so any car thats got a good engine is worth money and keeps going , my current car is a 2003 and doesnt have a spot of rust on it anywhere, and runs fine

However, in the UK, you can hear cars rusting when its quiet, and not many cars get past 10 years old without turning into a pile of ferric oxide. so old cars will become scarcer faster and thus more expensive.

Mine is 2003 as well. Only 57k original miles. I bought it in 2009 with 25k original miles. (Lady owner, it’s still immaculate)

UKSmartypants
07-05-2022, 05:46 PM
Mine is 2003 as well. Only 57k original miles. I bought it in 2009 with 25k original miles. (Lady owner, it’s still immaculate)

mine is 100k Km, which is 60k miles/ I do about 5000 km a year

donttread
07-05-2022, 08:35 PM

So what if the driver is passing, sees oncoming traffic and punches it to safely get through? Great time to have your car kill you and the other driver
Idiocracy seemed unrealistic at one time.

donttread
07-05-2022, 08:37 PM
So, if a woman is trying to flee an abuser driving an older vehicle, she won't be able to get away.

Feminists should love this!

Worse than that the time honored wife tradition, dare I say art form, of back seat driving could be lost!

donttread
07-06-2022, 07:20 AM
mine is 100k Km, which is 60k miles/ I do about 5000 km a year

Such numbers are so strange to me as I live in a rural area and even working at home put on more miles than that, considerably more. You must use public transport?

UKSmartypants
07-06-2022, 08:02 AM
Such numbers are so strange to me as I live in a rural area and even working at home put on more miles than that, considerably more. You must use public transport?

never been on a spanish bus in my life. We mainly just poddle in and out of town in it, which is like 4 km away, or to the beaches, or the supermarkets or local restaurants. We rarely go far.

when I lived in rural Lincolnshire I used to put about 15,000 miles a year on a car. 5k Km is about 3500 miles

El Guapo
07-06-2022, 10:25 AM
For those who have not figured out what this really is, yet... it's a kill switch. Why anyone would even entertain the notion of someone else having more control over your own car and decisions than you do is sad commentary indeed.

Neo
07-06-2022, 02:54 PM
For those who have not figured out what this really is, yet... it's a kill switch. Why anyone would even entertain the notion of someone else having more control over your own car and decisions than you do is sad commentary indeed.
I certainly would hold on to my car forever rather than buy one that puts me on a leash.

donttread
07-07-2022, 08:16 AM
I wonder if there is a place on the Interweb where these rights intrusions are compiled. ?
Whether it be America, Canada, UK, Aussie land, NZ or anywhere in the supposedly free west. Violations of free speech, parent's rights, COVID lockdown BS still lingering, controlling your car like you were guilty of DUI and needed to drive to work, pending laws about how almost if, you can heat your home, the unmitigated power of federal regulatory agencies to write defacto law and ignore due process, patriot act left overs, don't even get me started about professional licensing requirements to cut hair in some places or Eminent Domain for the use of private corporations and asset forfeiture . The list goes on. Perhaps this is my second calling in life if not already out there.? I'll have to partner with someone with tech skills.