PDA

View Full Version : Science and Humanities forums closed

Trinnity
06-08-2022, 09:15 PM
...until further notice because of people bringing religion into science threads, science into religion threads, and fighting over religion/science. Years of warnings over this went unheeded.

This is a POLITICS forum. Apparently science and religion are just too sensitive of topics.

Anyone who has threads in those forums they want moved to the public, let me know by PM. Also, you can post religion or science threads in the pub, the lounge, or (if you want to fight it out) the mosh. Threads will be modded appropriately...no derailing or trolling allowed.

SharetheHedge
06-11-2022, 11:43 AM
:dontknow:

Trinnity
06-13-2022, 10:23 AM
Religion threads can also post in Society.

Flame threads to the Mosh.

Swedgin
06-13-2022, 12:54 PM
But...but...I wanna beat somebody up, all in the name of Peace and Love!

Trinnity
06-13-2022, 01:12 PM
Arm wrestle me? I can take ya....

Taxcutter
06-13-2022, 02:45 PM
OK. Stupid question after the fact. I slept through the hubbub on the science forum.

Enlighten the Taxcutting masses. What was that about? Short summary is OK. I just don't want to unwittingly revive it.

Neo
06-18-2022, 11:36 AM
This is a good decision, as you know I do not post in religious threads, itís a subject Iíve kept well away from for this very reason.
A religion section can destroy a forum and create antagonism, flaming and members to leave.

Authentic
06-18-2022, 07:54 PM
This is a good decision, as you know I do not post in religious threads, itís a subject Iíve kept well away from for this very reason.
A religion section can destroy a forum and create antagonism, flaming and members to leave.
There was no religion section.

There was Humanities which included among other things, history.

I don't see why there can't be a history subforum.

Trinnity
06-18-2022, 09:49 PM
That's a good idea. I'll make a history forum soon.

Neo
06-19-2022, 01:53 AM
There was no religion section.

There was Humanities which included among other things, history.

I don't see why there can't be a history subforum.

Ahhh thanks for the info, I haven’t been using TPF for a good while, I’ve been unwell with covid, I’m still not 100% and taking it day by day.

Jen
06-19-2022, 02:14 AM
Ahhh thanks for the info, I haven’t been using TPF for a good while, I’ve been unwell with covid, I’m still not 100% and taking it day by day.What? Neo....... are you going to be okay? I have been wondering where you were.

Neo
06-19-2022, 02:18 AM
What? @Neo (https://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=4696)....... are you going to be okay? I have been wondering where you were.

Yes I am getting over it, thanks for your concern. :)

Physics Hunter
06-19-2022, 02:26 AM
Ahhh thanks for the info, I haven’t been using TPF for a good while, I’ve been unwell with covid, I’m still not 100% and taking it day by day.
May God heal you and bring you back to full strength.

(And that is what I would have said regardless of what thread he posted this status in.)

Authentic
06-20-2022, 10:58 AM
According to WayBackMachine - Humanities subforum included History, Veterans, Religion, and Philosophy.

Swedgin
06-20-2022, 11:09 AM
COOL!

We can scratch each other's eyes out over history!

(Really is a shame we can't get in better Sports fights in the Sporting section. LOL...I have been on a few Sporting sites and trust me...politico's have nothing, on rival sports fans....)

Oberon
06-20-2022, 03:47 PM
Great idea, since I was planning to post a long historical essay on how the Catholic Church contributed to the rise of science and science education, and in fact is the root of scientific investigation and logic in western culture. Science would never have progressed if it had been left to pagans and atheists; they would have been too busy looting and murdering to create any stable educational institutions and the type of cultures that would allow science to thrive at all. See all the 'discoveries' made by the Chinese's alleged 'advanced culture and knowledge that went nowhere until developed and made useful by western Christian university science researchers and engineers.

12icer
06-20-2022, 09:08 PM
COOL!

We can scratch each other's eyes out over history!

(Really is a shame we can't get in better Sports fights in the Sporting section. LOL...I have been on a few Sporting sites and trust me...politico's have nothing, on rival sports fans....)

How do you discuss HISTORY without RELIGION, they are intimately intertwined.
The primary book of history is the Bible, even though so many dispute the fact it has been Archeologically supported many times.
There are also events that took place solely because of religious tenets and arguments.
The inquisitions are one such event that comes to mind.
The war between predominately Catholic and Protestants MOSTLY in Northern Ireland in near history ETC.

Sorry but I cant see any real history of even a single family on earth that has not been somehow affected by some religious sect.

EVEN scientific history would require a religious background thesis.

Oberon
06-20-2022, 11:05 PM
There are also events that took place solely because of religious tenets and arguments.

The Spanish Inquisition were mainly about politics and removing existential threats to the Spanish Crown after the Reconquest, not just 'religion', though religion was a factor in determining one's politics when Muslims and their Jewish allies were involved, but it wasn't solely about religion. Same for the Portuguese Inquisition, and the Roman Inquisition didn't actually kill hardly anyone, and was the only one solely about religion, or almost so.

Most don't realize the Roman one lasted until well into the 19th Century.

Authentic
06-20-2022, 11:25 PM
How do you discuss HISTORY without RELIGION, they are intimately intertwined.
The primary book of history is the Bible, even though so many dispute the fact it has been Archeologically supported many times.
The war between predominately Catholic and Protestants MOSTLY in Northern Ireland in near history ETC.

Sorry but I cant see any real history of even a single family on earth that has not been somehow affected by some religious sect.

EVEN scientific history would require a religious background thesis.

We can create a rule: no mention of God in the history forum.

History is a social science.

12icer
06-21-2022, 01:33 AM
What I am saying is what would you use as a basis for history? What book, or narrative would you use? GOD is not a religion.

I am not trying to be confrontational or support any religious belief in this, it is a fact that historically Religious groups have used religion as the basis for a lot of actions they took.

The Bible has many historical places and events that were called Myths in it that have been verified as actual events and places by archeological findings and records.

The history as seen and written by those who lived through it has become a problem for many of the latter day historians and they have rewritten it to suit their own agenda. Any history book written after the 1920s is most likely very lacking in the actual events unless it is a direct testimony of the people who lived through the event.
A case in point would be the Death camps and the gas chambers suffered by the Jewish people at the hands of the war machine of Germany before and after WWII.

ES IS ZU VIEL!!!

DANKE!

Dubler9
06-21-2022, 02:09 AM
Its bizarre because this forum WANTS lefties to join in, to show it has an openness of exchange, without getting directly personal. Doesn't that mean argument and disagreeing?

The leftie progressives, who I regard as the enemy, are full on wanting to destroy Christianity and remove it from society, a massive cultural change.
Look at every aspect of the leftie agenda... they want the Constitution wiped out. This must mean Christian ethics wiped out.

Physics Hunter
06-21-2022, 02:41 AM
Its bizarre because this forum WANTS lefties to join in, to show it has an openness of exchange, without getting directly personal. Doesn't that mean argument and disagreeing?

The leftie progressives, who I regard as the enemy, are full on wanting to destroy Christianity and remove it from society, a massive cultural change.
Look at every aspect of the leftie agenda... they want the Constitution wiped out. This must mean Christian ethics wiped out.

The awesome powers that be here just let one in now and then a chew toys. This opens us to scrutiny on what we have ever posted, but it is what it is.
I post nothing that I am ashamed of.
I told a DARPA audience in 1994 that they should never send an email that they would not want the POTUS to read on TV, and they laughed at me...

As to the rest... Amen.

Brat
06-21-2022, 02:42 AM
No, they want the lefty loonies back in their cages.

Who has been saying they want Lefties here? Fess up!

Dubler9
06-21-2022, 04:00 AM

I read many times the ethos within this forum - making not like most forums - is the invitation to all people as long as we respect each other as people and comply with the forum rules. This has been said many times. This extended via the odd post saying lefties are welcome, but we will not dump our core beliefs to accommodate a leftie.... so, one can say they support Biden and AOC without being duped off this forum ... but if they say.. "as a Biden supporter you lot on this forum are fucking Nazi's" ... that is not acceptable. It is not acceptable if a Trump supporter personally attacks a reasonable person who is not a Trump supporter.

There is nothing gained by preaching to the converted. There is nothing gained by a forum "culture" whereby we must never dare to upset each other by suppressing your truth.

As I have stated before: I never blindly follow the mass of opinion or perceived opinion posited as a truth. I personally, do not have an automatic mindset of hating Putin... I know full well that he majority on this forum do not agree with me... some think I am nuts.. but that is not the point. I can attach settled and rational argument to MOST of my comments.

The farmer feeds his chickens at sunrise every single day - chucking the corn on the ground, every day, day in and day out... the chickens rush to eat the corn and bask in the Sun...... one morning instead of a bag of corn the Farmer brings an Axe ..... that is the reality. Most of us on this forum.. seemingly by our comments.... wake up to the fact the farmer will, one day, bring an axe.. we have flapped our wings so hard we can fly to freedom and live in the real world.

Trinnity
06-21-2022, 05:49 AM
History forum is open.

BooBoo
06-23-2022, 10:43 PM

Even Brat 's Kitty is Ready to Fight the Lefties...!!! :thumbsup20:

CWF
06-24-2022, 06:58 AM
It isn't so much what people say, it is rather why do they say it.

Evidence is so important in courts of law and in all other decisions that we embrace. Facts are facts and evidence leads to discloser of them. Widely held opinions serve only as a cloak to hide the truth under. And they are defended as a right by many if not most people.

The Constitution omitted the right to be stupid as one of the Bill of Rights. That right is seemingly covered by Amendment One, which includes several rights. However, evidence is not mentioned as necessary in forming an opinion or making a claim.

Biden is bad for America. Look at the evidence, of his record, his corruption, his speech, and what he has accomplished by dishonestly assuming the presidency. Contrast it with what Trump accomplished. Yet some people are of the opinion that Biden good, Trump bad.

It is embarrassing to read such mindless and stupid statements from people. And this guy had more votes than anyone in history? If that is a fact, then America is finished. Not only is it finished, it deserves to be finished with that many stupid people wandering around lost in a fog of insensibility.

God help us. Save us from our own stupidity.

Neo
06-24-2022, 01:37 PM
History forum is open.
How about a compromise for us science lovers.. can you think about have a new “purely technologies science” forum?

Neo
06-24-2022, 02:35 PM
Or “Physics and pure Science Forum”

Trinnity
06-24-2022, 08:16 PM
HISTORY & Science will do.

I've been moving science threads to History anyway.

Brat
06-25-2022, 01:35 AM
It isn't so much what people say, it is rather why do they say it.

Evidence is so important in courts of law and in all other decisions that we embrace. Facts are facts and evidence leads to discloser of them. Widely held opinions serve only as a cloak to hide the truth under. And they are defended as a right by many if not most people.

The Constitution omitted the right to be stupid as one of the Bill of Rights. That right is seemingly covered by Amendment One, which includes several rights. However, evidence is not mentioned as necessary in forming an opinion or making a claim.

Biden is bad for America. Look at the evidence, of his record, his corruption, his speech, and what he has accomplished by dishonestly assuming the presidency. Contrast it with what Trump accomplished. Yet some people are of the opinion that Biden good, Trump bad.

It is embarrassing to read such mindless and stupid statements from people. And this guy had more votes than anyone in history? If that is a fact, then America is finished. Not only is it finished, it deserves to be finished with that many stupid people wandering around lost in a fog of insensibility.

God help us. Save us from our own stupidity.

I cannot think of anyone here who supports Biden/bidet OR voted for him. We all watched election night when they shut down for FOUR HOURS and covered up the windows. We all saw 400,000 votes for Trump and miraculously those votes disappeared. Biden was NOT elected.

CWF
06-25-2022, 06:55 AM
Oddly enough I am acquainted with a number of people who steadfastly support the likes of Biden over Trump. Some post on this forum. What binds them apparently is that they align their thoughts with the democrat party above all, and facts do not matter.

Cherished beliefs are held tightly in the minds of people. Being wrong and corrected by facts is hostile to those who flatly refuse to consider them honestly. Anger results in verbal wars. I know this, I have participated in some.

Something as enormously huge and even infinite as the universe cannot be limited to some grand theory, leading always to more theories even more grand, as to how it began or why it is there. The evidence of it, and it encompasses everything that is in it, including life and the relative shortness of it, demands something to justify the existence of it. And we have no idea as to how large it is, so how does one explain that fact? With reason?

Once again, I like science. I take issue when things are shoved down throats simply because it is deemed 'scientific'. It is not science. It is not conclusive. It is opinion.

I am not defending religiosity over scientific study. We have the Constitutional right to speak freely, and I get that. This forum has rules of conduct, and I get that too. Pursuing the truth is not on the menu. Arguments result from minds that are hostile to that pursuit.

Trinnity
06-25-2022, 08:52 AM
I look at it this way and it's only my personal philosophical opinion.

Science and math are man's creation. Math is man's attempt to explain physics and science is man's attempt to manipulate physics. Physics is natural (I fondly think of it as God's toolbox).

Case in point, mizzzz science, Dr. Birx admitted yesterday in testimony to Jim Jordan, that they knew the vaccines didn't work after 4 months. They didn't tell the public. There's science for you.

/pfft~

CWF
06-25-2022, 01:39 PM
And that example is not science at all. It is a scientific community withholding knowledge from the public that it claims to represent......and to protect.

So why did they pretend that it did? Partly because it was profitable. And to disclose the truth about it was anathema to profitability. Not only that but upfront big money was paid to come up with the shot, or two, or three. Revealing the truth would be one hell of an embarrassment, and could have resulted in an indictable offense if the facts were disclosed.

That said, my opinion is that entire pandemic was designed in the lab and let loose to destroy an American administration that was calling out China and friends, and this could not be allowed to continue. Trump had to go by hook or crook. And the crook part was the ace palmed off to the democrat party.

Northern Rivers
06-25-2022, 10:09 PM
Oddly enough I am acquainted with a number of people who steadfastly support the likes of Biden over Trump. Some post on this forum. What binds them apparently is that they align their thoughts with the democrat party above all, and facts do not matter.

Cherished beliefs are held tightly in the minds of people. Being wrong and corrected by facts is hostile to those who flatly refuse to consider them honestly. Anger results in verbal wars. I know this, I have participated in some.

Something as enormously huge and even infinite as the universe cannot be limited to some grand theory, leading always to more theories even more grand, as to how it began or why it is there. The evidence of it, and it encompasses everything that is in it, including life and the relative shortness of it, demands something to justify the existence of it. And we have no idea as to how large it is, so how does one explain that fact? With reason?

Once again, I like science. I take issue when things are shoved down throats simply because it is deemed 'scientific'. It is not science. It is not conclusive. It is opinion.

I am not defending religiosity over scientific study. We have the Constitutional right to speak freely, and I get that. This forum has rules of conduct, and I get that too. Pursuing the truth is not on the menu. Arguments result from minds that are hostile to that pursuit.Who farted, ya mean? :thinking:

Trinnity
06-25-2022, 11:02 PM
And that example is not scienceYes it is. Science is a business. Dr. Fauci said "I am science".

CWF
06-26-2022, 05:42 AM
It sure is. A business funded by the taxpayer through Federal grants.

UKSmartypants
06-26-2022, 12:26 PM
I look at it this way and it's only my personal philosophical opinion.

Science and math are man's creation. Math is man's attempt to explain physics and science is man's attempt to manipulate physics. Physics is natural (I fondly think of it as God's toolbox).

Case in point, mizzzz science, Dr. Birx admitted yesterday in testimony to Jim Jordan, that they knew the vaccines didn't work after 4 months. They didn't tell the public. There's science for you.

/pfft~

complete bollox, ill post an explanation, as an exception to my new rule.

Maths existed the moment the Universe was born, 26 fixed parameters defined by mathematical relationships, such as the speed of light. But we have no idea what fixed these parameters to the values they are at the moment of the Big Bang. Just because it took us 13B years to figure them out, doesnt mean they didnt exist until then. If you do then you are making the same mistake as the child that thinks its invisible when it closes its eyes.

In physics, we're more concerned with constants that have no units or dimensions — in other words, constants that appear in our physical theories that are just plain numbers. These appear much more fundamental, because they don't depend on any other definition. Another way of saying it is that, if we were to meet some alien civilization, we would have no way of understanding their measurement of the speed of light, but when it comes to dimensionless constants, we can all agree. They're just numbers. 1+1=2 is true whether you're an amoeba or a human, and are on Earth or Omicron Persie 8.

One such number is known as the fine structure constant, which is a combination of the speed of light, Planck's constant, and something known as the permittivity of free space. Its value is approximately 0.007. 0.007 what? Just 0.007. Like I said, it's just a number.

So on one hand, the speed of light can be whatever it wants to be, because it has units and we need to define the units. But on the other hand, the speed of light can't be anything other than exactly what it is, in our universe, because if you were to change the speed of light, you would change the fine structure constant, and if you changed the fine structure constant, matter wouldnt exist, because in our universe the fine-structure constant gives the maximum positive charge of an atomic nucleus that will allow a stable electron-orbit around it within the Bohr model (element feynmanium). But our universe has chosen the fine structure constant to be approximately 0.007, and nothing else, and that was true long before anything in the universe could add two numbers together and figure it out.

The maths existed from the first zetasecond of the Big Bang. Science is just the method we used to discover stuff like this 13 billion years later.

Authentic
06-26-2022, 02:22 PM
Math is a language. It describes the universe. If UKSp is correct that it existed as soon as the universe came into being, that actually is a strike against his general worldview.

Trinnity
06-26-2022, 02:38 PM
Math is a language. It is man's language to describe physics. Lots of math in physics. It didn't exist until man began created it for his needs.

https://metager.org/meta/picture?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3F id%3DOIP.llTq8vfp-hCtLTixaxpDFwHaIt%26pid%3DApi%26h%3D150

OldSchool
06-26-2022, 08:11 PM
Too bad math's use for descriptions and explanations are as limited as our perspective.....

Brat
06-26-2022, 08:27 PM
YOUR new rule?

OldSchool
06-26-2022, 09:08 PM
don't expect math to provide all the answers

Brat
06-26-2022, 09:38 PM
I probably should have quoted, but it wasn't you anyway. :smiley20:

BooBoo
06-29-2022, 01:37 PM
YOUR new rule?

From across the Pond, Maybee it gets a little Wet by the time it reaches over here...?!?

re Post # 38...!!!

Trinnity
06-29-2022, 02:59 PM
Maths.

CWF
06-30-2022, 06:44 AM
Pursuing science is an exercise founded upon faith. It is hoped (faith) that an explanation for everything that there is will be found that forces God into cowering in the basement of thought while they enjoy the luxury of the penthouse. This effort is driven by faith. As someone has said regarding the attempt, " better nothing than God."

The point is that everyone 'believes' in something, and atheists believe that God doesn't exists while the religious folks believe that He does. Big Bang cosmology is founded on an assumption just as evolution is. A few bones have led to a theory widely believed resulting in step by step illustrations in school books of how man came to be man. To counter this traditional Christianity adopted fables hoping that this would reinforce public acceptance of going to church and increasing numbers in religious thought. Many other reasons as well.

Since this kind of faith is based on little or no evidence at all, in both science and religious thought, is it any marvel that arguments are rampant?

The very same evidence for both is used by both. The universe is there. In plain sight. Why is it there? It is the conclusions from the evidence that are divided. Why is that? I think that the answer is revealed in the Bible. Man's nature is inherently hostile to God. And the science people don't even consider that, or look at it as being reasonable.

My view is that we should accept reality, and not cling to false hopes. We cannot change truth, or bend it, or manipulate it to fit our beliefs.

UKSmartypants
07-16-2022, 04:47 PM
Pursuing science is an exercise founded upon faith.

Complete bollox. Science is the pursuit of the truth, which is validated and proven by repeatable experiments and observation of phenomena. There no faith in it. Its facts and maths.

Authentic
07-16-2022, 04:51 PM
Complete bollox. Science is the pursuit of the truth, which is validated and proven by repeatable experiments and observation of phenomena. There no faith in it. Its facts and maths.

"Over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words "Ye must have faith."

- Max Planck

East of the Beast
07-16-2022, 04:51 PM
So you believe in settled science

12icer
07-18-2022, 08:13 AM

Actually it is speculative assumption and conjecture based on the impression of presumed fact as determined by those who are questioning the premise.
Just because an experiment creates a repeatable result 100 times in a temporal matrix does not mean it is forever, or is even stable.
It is a group of singular events with congruent outcomes..
As the "science" of vaccines seems to change with the definition.
So we can rename a pile of dog excrement a vaccine push it into a persons body and when it does not prevent or stop the disease we can still call it a vaccine and sell it for billions of dollars to use for the expansion of a murderous monarchal plot to subjugate the populous of the world.

Oceander
07-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Actually it is speculative assumption and conjecture based on the impression of presumed fact as determined by those who are questioning the premise.
Just because an experiment creates a repeatable result 100 times in a temporal matrix does not mean it is forever, or is even stable.
So we can rename a pile of dog excrement a vaccine push it into a persons body and when it does not prevent or stop the disease we can still call it a vaccine and sell it for billions of dollars to use for the expansion of a murderous monarchal plot to subjugate the populous of the world.

:smiley_ROFLMAO:

OldSchool
07-28-2022, 06:30 PM
Science and Humanities forums closed

???

It's back..... but new subtitle: SOCIETY and Humanities. I'm guessing the emphasis with capitalization of society relates to the necessity of being of civil. That and we gotta leave Einstein's theory of relativity out of this. :wink:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/ghUdttZScVpDO/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47n9qmyb81e8z1pj2cdtk31h86fqzl u8extr83uzry&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

OldSchool
07-28-2022, 06:58 PM

Grow as set...... take on Trinnity.

Arm wrestle me? I can take ya....

i can't.... I'm an angel. :angel3:

Authentic
07-28-2022, 07:23 PM
Science and Humanities forums closed

???

It's back..... but new subtitle: SOCIETY and Humanities. I'm guessing the emphasis with capitalization of society relates to the necessity of being of civil. That and we gotta leave Einstein's theory of relativity out of this. :wink:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/ghUdttZScVpDO/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47n9qmyb81e8z1pj2cdtk31h86fqzl u8extr83uzry&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

There is also HISTORY, veterans, and science.

UKSmartypants
08-01-2022, 01:46 PM
You're not allowed to comment on it, or you get a ban. Fascism lives in text form.

UKSmartypants
08-01-2022, 01:50 PM

the result stands until you can prove its wrong with another set of repeatable experiments or another mathematical proof. that's how science works.

Thats en entirely different thing. thge science is being manipulated, lied about and fabricated to fulfill a political agenda, which invalidates it

see above/ There still no faith involved.

Trinnity
08-01-2022, 02:10 PM
UKsmartypants is thread banned.

Swedgin
08-12-2022, 11:59 AM
We can create a rule: no mention of God in the history forum.

History is a social science.

I agree, but...we should be able to discuss Religion as it has such a central place IN our history.

Unfortunately, that swings the door wide open, and, people start veering off the history discussion....

Trinnity
08-12-2022, 12:29 PM
People who can't be civil will eventually get the ban hammer. Sucks, but that's just how it is. Anyone who gets 2 weeks or more better be re-evaluating their behavior or consider another forum home.