PDA

View Full Version : COPYRIGHTS AND FAIR USE LAW

Trinnity
01-12-2022, 03:49 PM
I have to remind people once again. Limit your OP's to 3 paragraphs of copied articles.

Unless it's in the public domain like legal documents or the Bible or Shakespeare (these are examples) - they're Copyrighted.

Also, you MUST have a proper link.

Sunsettommy
01-12-2022, 09:49 PM
From what I have learned as forum owners in the past that an excerpt shouldn't exceed 20% of the article and that it should from the beginning of the article.

Here is what I normally do is this common format for posting an article,

(Website name)

Title of the Article (Should be bigger size letters or bolded)

Date and Authors name

Excerpt:

The first few paragraphs from the BEGINNING of the article that doesn't exceed 20% of the article. (DO NOT pick up a paragraph from the middle to the end part of an article as lawsuits have been decided over such misuse of the article)

Link

=====

Sometimes you have to ask permission from the source or author to post it.

OldSchool
01-16-2022, 04:26 AM
Since the rules are so defined - who needs an umpire?

https://media3.giphy.com/media/XOb9RqKILKzdOvsEXp/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i9j7lhhkyd69ktkin67blt9txfv5 jfrf78p243fu&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

:smiley_ROFLMAO:

Trinnity
01-25-2022, 10:46 PM
I've been reminding for nine years.
People ignore. People don't read the rules.
Now there will be warnings given out.

Trinnity
01-26-2022, 02:38 PM
Still not getting it folks? Anyone who is unwilling to make an effort to post only 2 or 3 paragraphs, is at this point just not paying attention. Any fair use violation...your OP will be reduced to ONE paragraph. If this keeps up, real infractions and temp bans will be given.

If we get sued, the forum will close. None of you will pay the legal bills and I'm not rich. That's the burden some of you continue to lay on my shoulders, not to mention the extra work. It's unconscionable that some of the long timers still ignore this rule.

Sunsettommy
01-26-2022, 05:43 PM
I find it amazing that people are still not taking fair use properly and seriously, there is a reason why the EXCERPT needs to be short (<20% or less of the article) for several reasons:

1) drive traffic to the original source being quoted
2) avoid intruding on/generating copyright theft claims
3) fair use of the source material from the source itself that may depend on regular visitation flow to the original source that is dependent on advertisement and for authors be given respect for their work

It is really easy to do what Trinnity wants shorter excerpts is less work too.

I created a specific example on how I wanted an article to be properly posted in my past forums in full detail as I didn't want to get sued over it either it is worth doing it right and everybody is better for it.

Matt
01-26-2022, 05:46 PM
There's no reason to copy and paste. When I post I always write my own synopsis. Perhaps I'll add a short quote but that's about it. I provide links for people to follow. If you're going to research you need to click those links anyway.

potlatch
01-29-2022, 02:05 PM
We've all probably come from other forums where we 'learned' how to post so after 20yrs I have to watch myself. :) If you can only post 3 paragraphs it's supposed to be the first 3 - and not taking them out of sequence - which omits some of the most important facts.

If you add those facts listed in the article, in your own words - you cannot alter them to give any other meaning! I copy and paste my post on Notepad, sized down to 6" X 6" to post my threads and often save those 'Articles' to my Documents for future use.

Through the years I've found that few people bother to go to the links and then make comments or ask questions that prove my claim. I also wish we had more room to post the Original Titles, which would eliminate double and triple posts.

I understand Trinnitys concern and always try my best to follow her rules. I'm just glad to be here. :smiley20:

Trinnity
01-30-2022, 06:56 PM
I just removed a copyrighted article, posted in full, with no link. If that blog post wasn't written by the OP, it's a copyright violation. It will not be returned until I sort it out.

Folks, I am fed up with people ignoring copyright law. Fed up.:angry20:

:tap:

Captain Kirk!
01-30-2022, 10:17 PM
Proof?

Authentic
01-30-2022, 10:20 PM
Proof?
She could copy and paste the text. Teacher's and professors do that all the time to catch plagiarists.

Canadianeye
01-31-2022, 11:19 AM
People would be wise to take this seriously. Things aren't what they once were. Tactics are changing. Things like Fair Use are being weaponized, or, in the very least produce threat of being weaponized.

This particular forum could be targeted, although small in comparison to the giant social media platforms...we do have active enemies, and some of those enemies could easily get eyes turned towards our forum. They wouldn't even have to do anything themselves - just gets eyes turned towards us.

Here's something regarding the CBC and the courts, involving FB etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbc-conservative-party-lawsuit-dismissed-1.6025022

If nothing else peeps, please pay attention to what Trinnity has been warning you about. The potential for them weaponizing places like this forum, is not an idle fear. Take a bit of time, and follow the rules regarding this issue.

That's my take on it. I'm no expert, but the cautions and potential actions against us is warranted.

CE

Canadianeye
02-10-2022, 10:27 AM
Just a bump on this. Thanks to a lot of people who are paying attention to this now and following the rules.

Our varied and different enemies, have a lot of tactics in their toolbox.

Appreciate the effort and awareness everyone.

Thanks,

CE

Trinnity
02-10-2022, 04:33 PM
Ditto. Thanks to everyone who's making the effort. Much appreciated.

Common
02-12-2022, 12:04 AM
Same, Everyone we didnt want to keep on about it, but its not something we can take lightly, the forum is at risk.

Anyway thank you all for being troopers about it and helping us out :)

Milt
03-17-2022, 04:56 AM
I just removed a copyrighted article, posted in full, with no link. If that blog post wasn't written by the OP, it's a copyright violation. It will not be returned until I sort it out.

Folks, I am fed up with people ignoring copyright law. Fed up.:angry20:

:tap:

Just came this from another thread and yes I know the rule.

My comment, criticism is this:

You’re fed up and enabling at the same time. If you have rules follow them. Temp ban people gets the person who violated the rules attention and everyone’s else’s. Hopefully there’s something on the post in question that says 30-day ban (whatever time is) for being a retard and breaking rule (Copyright). Ok maybe not that exact wording….

Can’t feel one bit sorry for you here on this. You set the rules.

Being nice has a price too. If it’s endangering the forum in terms of money then it seems it time to not be nice.

Canadianeye
03-17-2022, 06:20 AM
Just came this from another thread and yes I know the rule.

My comment, criticism is this:

You’re fed up and enabling at the same time. If you have rules follow them. Temp ban people gets the person who violated the rules attention and everyone’s else’s. Hopefully there’s something on the post in question that says 30-day ban (whatever time is) for being a retard and breaking rule (Copyright). Ok maybe not that exact wording….

Can’t feel one bit sorry for you here on this. You set the rules.

Being nice has a price too. If it’s endangering the forum in terms of money then it seems it time to not be nice.

Mercola is the exception. Yes. Trinnity sets the rules and Trinnity and mods also have some discretion on matters and rules.

Mercola is an authorized exception, whether one likes Mercola or not. Possibly the best way to look at this, might be if everything of Pro Vax people was being censored and removed from the television, youtube, facebook, instagram, twitter etc - it would be a reverse situation, not to ones liking.

There is a vast number of people who think governments, Fauciesq experts, CDC etc are pumping out a lot of false information, misleading information and errors on television, youtube, facebook, instagram, twitter - and there is no mechanism to do to them, what they collectively do to those who are not Pro Vax, aka, Mercola.

Mercola is an exception. Follow the directions here regarding fair use/copyright is what I do, when I generate a thread occasionaly that isn't a personally written OP.

Milt
03-17-2022, 07:05 AM
You misunderstand.

I don’t care if Mercola is the exception. If it is that’s the rules. So be it.

Everything else though… you see my view on it above.

My suggestion for one off type thing is follow the same rules as the others. That way there isn’t confusion for anyone. Change the rule to only post 3 paragraphs no matter the source. Less work for you guys having to manage it.

Then actually enforce it. That’s the view I have. You have rules then are not enforcing or lax at enforcing it. I can’t feel sorry for you or anyone who creates their own problem.

Just my opinion. I’ll go back to being a user. Rules are easy to follow when the boundaries are set. It’s when they are gray or floating they become useless.

Trinnity
03-17-2022, 10:24 AM
I do appreciate members' advice, but PMs are more appropriate. Also, there are issues and details I can't divulge in public - or at all.

Ray9
03-20-2022, 05:15 AM
I have to remind people once again. Limit your OP's to 3 paragraphs of copied articles.
What if I copy and paste my own stuff from another site and put it here?
Unless it's in the public domain like legal documents or the Bible or Shakespeare (these are examples) - they're Copyrighted.

Also, you MUST have a proper link.

What if I copy and paste my own content from another site and post it here?

Trinnity
03-20-2022, 09:21 AM
That's perfectly fine, Ray9. This is only about copyrighted material.

Hey, nice to see you~

Trinnity
03-31-2022, 09:34 AM
I'm not dinging anyone for hyperlinks or fair use anymore. It's taking too much time to document, explain, ask for compliance. Instead, articles will be cut severely. Quoting a long OP may get a post deleted. I have a minimal staff who have limited time to offer. These issues are simply too much a burden on my time.

Hairball
04-02-2022, 01:16 AM
I understand.