PDA

View Full Version : Young woman almost died because of socialized healthcare

kazenatsu
12-18-2021, 10:48 PM
This is what can happen in a socialized health care system.

A woman who had a severe cough says she was initially denied a medical appointment, due to her young age.
"They kept telling me I wasn't eligible for an urgent appointment because it was just a cough," Chloe Girardier, who is 23-year-old, said.
Eventually, Girardier said, she was given antibiotics, inhalers, and acid reflux tablets, but her symptoms didn't change.

It took her 5 months and 7 doctor visits later before she finally became fed up, and realizing something was wrong, insisted to the doctor that she at least have a chest X-ray.
The X-ray scan showed she had cancer, there was a 4.25-inch mass in her chest.

"I can't believe it wasn't looked into further and if I hadn't pushed for the chest X-ray, I may still not have a diagnosis," she said.
Other young women have spoken up about advocating for themselves in the healthcare system.

"A 23-year-old says doctors dismissed her worrisome cough for 5 months. It turned out to be cancer" - Insider, December 15, 2021

It seems doctors just weren't really motivated to give her a thorough examination or really look hard for what might be wrong with her. If she hadn't taken the reigns and demanded that X-ray, the cancer might have continued to spread and reached a fatal stage where it was too late. Tests like X-rays cost money, and doctors in the national healthcare systems can be reluctant to want to have to spend the money, since the system is trying to get them to reduce costs and ration care.

OldSchool
12-18-2021, 10:51 PM
I'm shocked

dinosaur
12-18-2021, 11:10 PM
Maybe our Brit members can fill us in on the horror stories of the NIH.

23-Year-Old Diagnosed With Cancer After Cough Mistaken for COVID (https://www.newsweek.com/23-year-old-diagnosed-cancer-cough-covid-chloe-giardier-hodgkin-lymphoma-1659148)

When Mrs dinosaur visited friends in the UK, she fell and broke her wrist. The NIH put her in some sort of wrist cast and did a fairly good job of taking care of her. We never saw a bill. But it is a bit strange ... when that friend visited us in Mexico, and fell on a piece of rebar that went thru his calf, NIH was nowhere to be found, and without insurance, I had to whip out the charge card to get him good, proper treatment at a real hospital, not one of the Mexican socialized places.

UK members, how does it work if you get sick or injured while you are in Spain?

kazenatsu
12-18-2021, 11:13 PM
I've heard some Canadians are scared of travelling to the US, for that very reason.

Of course there's always traveler's insurance.

OldSchool
12-18-2021, 11:32 PM
I put little faith in socialized medicine, but sure - it works sometimes.

As for Mexico - it's essentially a third-world nation. If you want to go there, fine, but I'm not because I'm aware of potential hazards, and I'm not talking about rebar.

Quark
12-18-2021, 11:37 PM
The purpose of socialized medicine is to kill people.

Physics Hunter
12-18-2021, 11:41 PM
B,b,b...,but it's FREE!

:geez:

OldSchool
12-18-2021, 11:44 PM
hmmm.... you get what you pay for. Who'd have thunk it

LadyMoonlight
12-19-2021, 12:12 AM
Here in Australia, when I go to the doctor, I choose the doctor I want to see at the Medical practice I go to. I am employed full time, so no bulk-billing. I pay $80 up front, and the next day usually about $39 is paid into my bank account by the government. When I retire (hopefully within the next month), I will have bulk-billing, which equals cheaper doctor's visits and much cheaper medications from the chemist. I am not in private health insurance, never have been. I was on a Sole Parents Pension raising my kids so I sure as hell could not afford private insurance and when I started work, I never joined. I pay a Medicare Levy from my income, which works out at about the same price as a basic health fund, so I do pay into the government fund for health care. When I go to hospital for any reason, yep, there is often a long wait in the emergency waiting room, as the most serious cases are always seen first. The most expensive cost is for an ambulance. As I am not in a health fund, I have to pay $450 for the ambulance to take me to hospital. I have known people in a health insurance fund who still have to pay a fortune for operations and a hospital stay. As far as I am concerned, I am happy with the system as I know I will be treated for free if I end up in hospital...service will never be refused. I know I am paying my way with the Medicare Levy, so I don't have a guilty conscience at all.

OldSchool
12-19-2021, 12:29 AM
Northern Rivers ......

ruthless terrier
12-19-2021, 01:52 AM
i see just the opposite in health care. xrays and cat scans are usually done up front for any serious pain or problem. it makes no sense that the young woman was not given one of these.

Northern Rivers
12-19-2021, 02:02 AM
The levy is 2%...which does NOT pay for all possible care. Yeah...I think it's $78.20 and you do get...like $39 back. But...like me...I have "too many assets" to qualify for any retirement funding. (I do get USA SS, here, though.)

Private insurance is still the way to go. You pick out a policy...which costs more or less depending upon the bells and whistles you want. The government pays 30% (+/-) on that.

Indeed, Public Health is good in most cases...but...not for the serious stuff. They'll kill you.

MY EXPERIENCE: Pay attention...this will show the incompetence...and danger...in Public Health...

Three years ago...in January...I was tossing the Frisbee for Knucklehead. I was utterly...totally...out of breath from doing nothing. But, everyone was coughing and wheezing in the house...being mid-summer with all the pollen in the air. I decided to go to the gym and work it off. On the way, my eye caught our local public hospital up on the hill. I was worse...so parked and went in.

I said to the receptionist that I was a heart patient and couldn't breathe. (Remember, I had my aorta resected 16 months prior.)

In two minutes, I was on an ER bed...all wired...three docs hovering over me. They gave me a shot in my belly and I took 9 (I think) pills.

They said it was asthma. :wtf20:

I insisted to get a better check on it...so...they got on the phone to the nearby public hospital with a cardio ward. Two doctors told them it "probably was asthma or allergies". The third doctor...said I needed to get cardio care...NOW. He was over ruled. He was also mightily pissed off.

I said I wanted an ambulance to get me to the same PRIVATE hospital where my aorta was done.

WHY did I say this??? Because six months before this...the lady next door (56) was also sent home "with asthma"...from the same place...and...as her two sons got her home and helped her out of the car...she dropped dead. THAT is why I said to get me OUT of there.

Anyway...I got stented. 99% occlusion to my left descending coronary artery. If I had gone to the gym, I'd be dead. :sad20: I asked for the same surgeon that fixed me to come in and see me. He said, "You have insurance. You are in their bed. They like your money. Make them give you an angiogram and see what they need to do from there."

Which reminds me...

About my aorta resection ("aortoplasty").

YES...the very same doctors you find in private care do get government-payouts to also spend time in the public sector. But...in private...they are the same gaggle of people. Opener, main surgeon, knock-out dude...OR nurses...all the same everyday team that work together...know each other's families/etc.

So? They work like a well-oiled machine which saves TIME. If they were sent to do public...they hardly know anyone...who is left handed...who is right handed...who stands where/etc. That costs precious minutes. My heart was stopped, both lungs deflated, bypassed...for 53 minutes. Public health? It would have been well over an hour. The longer you are on bypass...the more likely of brain damage.

POST SCRIPT: I will get my kid to scan the picture the angiogram made...before and after the stenting. You won't believe it.

Northern Rivers
12-19-2021, 02:26 AM
Okay...Look at my PROFILE picture. The angiogram is there...upside down but you can see where the words "before" and "after" were ball pointed.

Like I said...if I went to that gym...or went home...I'd be dead.

To sum this thread, up......

Yeah...let Public Health take your appendix, out...but...don't let them touch you for anything major. Period.

EDIT: Is it possible to click on my profile pic and get it, enlarged??? Do it, if you can. And, as I think about this...I remember Wes and I talking bout "getting tired". He said he couldn't go to his mailbox and back. Just as I am telling your folks about my getting winded...as Wes did...don't hesitate if you even THINK you are compromised. It's your life we're talking about, folks.

As I've done before...if you are over 50...get a treadmill stress test with ultra-sounding. That saved my life. 1/7th of "heart attacks" are aortic dissections...having NOTHING to do with your heart! heart patients that apparently die of a heart attack...aren't always autopsied because...well...they had a bad heart.

Old Tex
12-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Socialized medicine:

Canadians have one of the lowest costs for socialized medicine in the world. The cost automatically comes out of their paychecks. Yet many of them cross our border to see our doctors & pay for it out of their own pockets. I wonder why?

Louder with Crowder did a show on Canadian HC. It was very interesting & everyone who wants "free" healthcare should check it out. I remember that it took a year & a half to get a doctor up there. Not to see a doctor, just to get one assigned to you.

Freewill
12-19-2021, 07:35 AM
I've heard some Canadians are scared of travelling to the US, for that very reason.

Of course there's always traveler's insurance.

Very good of you to post one bright spot concerning this story.

Freewill
12-19-2021, 07:44 AM
The levy is 2%...which does NOT pay for all possible care. Yeah...I think it's $78.20 and you do get...like $39 back. But...like me...I have "too many assets" to qualify for any retirement funding. (I do get USA SS, here, though.)

Private insurance is still the way to go. You pick out a policy...which costs more or less depending upon the bells and whistles you want. The government pays 30% (+/-) on that.

Indeed, Public Health is good in most cases...but...not for the serious stuff. They'll kill you.

MY EXPERIENCE: Pay attention...this will show the incompetence...and danger...in Public Health...

Three years ago...in January...I was tossing the Frisbee for Knucklehead. I was utterly...totally...out of breath from doing nothing. But, everyone was coughing and wheezing in the house...being mid-summer with all the pollen in the air. I decided to go to the gym and work it off. On the way, my eye caught our local public hospital up on the hill. I was worse...so parked and went in.

I said to the receptionist that I was a heart patient and couldn't breathe. (Remember, I had my aorta resected 16 months prior.)

In two minutes, I was on an ER bed...all wired...three docs hovering over me. They gave me a shot in my belly and I took 9 (I think) pills.

They said it was asthma. :wtf20:

I insisted to get a better check on it...so...they got on the phone to the nearby public hospital with a cardio ward. Two doctors told them it "probably was asthma or allergies". The third doctor...said I needed to get cardio care...NOW. He was over ruled. He was also mightily pissed off.

I said I wanted an ambulance to get me to the same PRIVATE hospital where my aorta was done.

WHY did I say this??? Because six months before this...the lady next door (56) was also sent home "with asthma"...from the same place...and...as her two sons got her home and helped her out of the car...she dropped dead. THAT is why I said to get me OUT of there.

Anyway...I got stented. 99% occlusion to my left descending coronary artery. If I had gone to the gym, I'd be dead. :sad20: I asked for the same surgeon that fixed me to come in and see me. He said, "You have insurance. You are in their bed. They like your money. Make them give you an angiogram and see what they need to do from there."

Which reminds me...

About my aorta resection ("aortoplasty").

YES...the very same doctors you find in private care do get government-payouts to also spend time in the public sector. But...in private...they are the same gaggle of people. Opener, main surgeon, knock-out dude...OR nurses...all the same everyday team that work together...know each other's families/etc.

So? They work like a well-oiled machine which saves TIME. If they were sent to do public...they hardly know anyone...who is left handed...who is right handed...who stands where/etc. That costs precious minutes. My heart was stopped, both lungs deflated, bypassed...for 53 minutes. Public health? It would have been well over an hour. The longer you are on bypass...the more likely of brain damage.

POST SCRIPT: I will get my kid to scan the picture the angiogram made...before and after the stenting. You won't believe it.
Am I reading this correctly, you got an aorta resection? Then 16 months later you find 99% occlusion to your left descending coronary artery.

That seems like a very short time for your coronary artery to become clogged. Do you think the original doctor missed something?

Freewill
12-19-2021, 07:58 AM
Let's look at American socialized medicine, Medicare. It is not free, unless you are also on Medicaid. To be on Medicaid you need to be pretty much destitute.

So, the cost of Medicare next year will rise to 170/month, with pretty hefty co-pays if you do actually need to use Medicare. (If you partner is also on Medicare it will cost you 340/month If you have a PCP, you should be thankful for finding one that will accept new patients. Yes, you can find Part C plans that offer different services with no premium. They are usually HMOs which require you to stay in their system and they will generally have co-pays. If you want to not pay co-pays, then you will need to buy another plan which will require an additional premium. It is all about the Benjerman's. Health care is a business in America just like any other business, the bottom line is what matters.

That said, I don't have a complaint about the care I receive. But I think I am lucky; at my age I go see the doctor once a year and only take two drugs they give to all old timers. My father at 89 had his knee replaced on the same plan I now have, and I don't remember paying much of anything for the surgery and the follow up care seemed to be good.

teeceetx
12-19-2021, 10:15 AM
There isn't enough money anywhere to provide adequate healthcare to the public.

Fact of life.

And anyone who believes there is, is either uninformed or just plain stupid.

Old Tex
12-19-2021, 10:21 AM
This could be off topic but maybe not. UP where my wife comes from (upper MN) it is "almost" socialized medicine. I say that because most of the doctors up there are paying back the money they owe with government service. As for the quality of what I'm hearing about them, very bad. I'm shocked that they aren't "bleeding" patients. I know that one of them is under investigation now. The same thing applies to some of the dentists up there too.

Big Wheeler
12-19-2021, 12:40 PM
Our NHS in the UK is free at the point of service to everyone.Apparently umpteen millions of £sterling are owed by countries all over the world and remain unpaid.If an American tourist requires treatment for an injury,just amble up to reception with your ID and your treatment commences.There are numerous women,frequently allegedly from Africa,who turn up in the later stages of pregnancy who are dealt with then bid farewell never to be seen again.
In Spain,where I'm not a full resident,I get free treatment by virtue of carrying a health card which is respected reciprocally by both governments.If I were a Spanish resident I would have to contribute to their health system.

UKSmartypants
12-19-2021, 01:49 PM

23-Year-Old Diagnosed With Cancer After Cough Mistaken for COVID (https://www.newsweek.com/23-year-old-diagnosed-cancer-cough-covid-chloe-giardier-hodgkin-lymphoma-1659148)

When Mrs dinosaur visited friends in the UK, she fell and broke her wrist. The NIH put her in some sort of wrist cast and did a fairly good job of taking care of her. We never saw a bill. But it is a bit strange ... when that friend visited us in Mexico, and fell on a piece of rebar that went thru his calf, NIH was nowhere to be found, and without insurance, I had to whip out the charge card to get him good, proper treatment at a real hospital, not one of the Mexican socialized places.

If you are holiday, you can get a GHIC - Global health Insurance Card, after wading through a mountain of paperwork and forms. This is the card Big Wheeler has, and in theory gives you free health care while you travel, paid for by the UK govt.

Im a Spanish resident , so when we moved here we got a form from the UK Government, which we then presented to the Spanish Health Service, After a another pile of forms you get a SIP card , a Spanish Health Card. The Spanish and British Governments have a reciprocal arrangement whereby they provide free health care to each others nationals, as it they were citizens, provided you can show you have resident status.

Basically, if you walk into a Spanish hospital, you have to show them 1. a SIP card or 2. a GHIC card or 3. a Private Heath Insurance Policy or 4. a valid Credit Card. if the answer is 'none of the above' then they will stop you bleeding and then throw you out.

and just to clarify what Big Wheeler said, i do not contribute to the Spanish NHs because although im a spanish resident im also a pensioner, and get free healthcare as a retired resident. He gets it free because hes not a resident but is a pensioner with a GHIC card, and lives in Greater Shithole on the Wold in the north of england

Northern Rivers
12-19-2021, 06:37 PM
Am I reading this correctly, you got an aorta resection? Then 16 months later you find 99% occlusion to your left descending coronary artery.

That seems like a very short time for your coronary artery to become clogged. Do you think the original doctor missed something?
No. I was told I had a 30% occlusion in that LD...and...if I had any symptoms of anything...get to the hospital...which is what I did.

"Doctor"??? There was the actual thoracic surgeon that did the aortoplasty...then, my Cardiologist that gives me yearly checks. It's the Cardiologist that saw the occlusion.

Cutting to the chase...

Over and over you hear things like "diet & exercise" and "find out early".....

Yep. That works!

Did ya check out that pic in my profile, Freewill? Scary! When I brought it into the doctor that insisted I get to cardio care...NOW...he showed it to the other two quacks. One...a Daisy Duck...said, "Some times we miss this sort of thing." I said..."Yeah, like on Mary Xxxx, huh?" (My dead neighbour.) :angry20:

Northern Rivers
12-19-2021, 06:40 PM
There isn't enough money anywhere to provide adequate healthcare to the public.

Fact of life.

And anyone who believes there is, is either uninformed or just plain stupid.I agree...and...disagree!

The Trump Economy wasn't even close to full bore. If it was...we'd have plenty of money for everything. But, we're taking care of Chinese patients at the moment.

Freewill
12-20-2021, 08:39 AM
No. I was told I had a 30% occlusion in that LD...and...if I had any symptoms of anything...get to the hospital...which is what I did.

"Doctor"??? There was the actual thoracic surgeon that did the aortoplasty...then, my Cardiologist that gives me yearly checks. It's the Cardiologist that saw the occlusion.

Cutting to the chase...

Over and over you hear things like "diet & exercise" and "find out early".....

Yep. That works!

Did ya check out that pic in my profile, @Freewill (https://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=842)? Scary! When I brought it into the doctor that insisted I get to cardio care...NOW...he showed it to the other two quacks. One...a Daisy Duck...said, "Some times we miss this sort of thing." I said..."Yeah, like on Mary Xxxx, huh?" (My dead neighbour.) :angry20:

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe our healthcare isn't 100 percent perfect but 30 years ago you may have ended up with a much different outcome.

It would be so easy to miss stuff like this. I know you say they didn't miss anything, then you seem to say the opposite, but it seems to me that a 30 percent occlusion isn't something that gets better.

East of the Beast
12-20-2021, 08:45 AM

What does a good old fashion rebar through the calf repair in Mexico cost these days? A bottle of tequila and a piece of leather to bite down on as anesthesia.

kazenatsu
03-29-2022, 08:02 PM
The case of a 27-year-old woman, who died a day after being diagnosed with cervical cancer and after claiming she wasn't listened to by doctors, has been described as "shocking and traumatic" by a coroner.

Porsche McGregor-Sims, an events manager from the U.K. city of Portsmouth, died at Queen Alexandra Hospital on April 14, 2020, a day after being diagnosed with stage 4 cervical cancer, Hampshire Live reported. Prior to her diagnosis she had suffered from abdominal pain and bleeding for 15 months.

Woman, 27, Dies of Cancer a Day After Diagnosis: 'Shocking and Traumatic' (newsweek.com) (https://www.newsweek.com/woman-dies-cancer-diagnosis-shocking-hospital-uk-1692851)

So she had been complaining to doctors and the quack doctors didn't do anything and didn't properly diagnose her until it was too late.

kazenatsu
03-29-2022, 08:08 PM
I've been warning people for a long time that this was going to happen. The NHS has been overburdened and stretched beyond capacity.
You can't keep adding more people without increasing funding proportionally. Either that or quality goes down, as we're seeing.
Hiring foreign medical workers to cut down on labor costs was only a stopgap measure. Last I read, the majority of doctors working in the NHS aren't even ethnically British. The NHS doesn't have the money to stop bringing in foreign doctors.

Look at the NHS like a lifeboat. If you keep adding more people to the boat eventually that boat is going to start sitting lower in the water, until it starts taking on water from the sides. If you don't either stop taking on more people or make the boat bigger, eventually the whole boat's going to go down.

If the population of the U.K. has gone up 12.8% over the last two decades, that means you're going to have to increase the funding for the NHS by 12.8%, in addition on top of that adjusted for inflation and increases in the cost of living. (inflation alone would have made the cost go up 80%)

Longshot
03-29-2022, 08:13 PM
This is what can happen in a socialized health care system.

A woman who had a severe cough says she was initially denied a medical appointment, due to her young age.
"They kept telling me I wasn't eligible for an urgent appointment because it was just a cough," Chloe Girardier, who is 23-year-old, said.
Eventually, Girardier said, she was given antibiotics, inhalers, and acid reflux tablets, but her symptoms didn't change.

It took her 5 months and 7 doctor visits later before she finally became fed up, and realizing something was wrong, insisted to the doctor that she at least have a chest X-ray.
The X-ray scan showed she had cancer, there was a 4.25-inch mass in her chest.

"I can't believe it wasn't looked into further and if I hadn't pushed for the chest X-ray, I may still not have a diagnosis," she said.
Other young women have spoken up about advocating for themselves in the healthcare system.

"A 23-year-old says doctors dismissed her worrisome cough for 5 months. It turned out to be cancer" - Insider, December 15, 2021

It seems doctors just weren't really motivated to give her a thorough examination or really look hard for what might be wrong with her. If she hadn't taken the reigns and demanded that X-ray, the cancer might have continued to spread and reached a fatal stage where it was too late. Tests like X-rays cost money, and doctors in the national healthcare systems can be reluctant to want to have to spend the money, since the system is trying to get them to reduce costs and ration care.

When the state (i.e. the guys with the guns) decides that they are going to provide health care, well then you know it's going to be the best ever. Because government workers aren't lazy or trying to just to the minimum amount of work. They're not like the rest of us. They have completely different incentives. All they care about is making people well.

JustPassinThru
03-29-2022, 09:05 PM
Maybe this was mentioned. I haven't gone through the whole thread.

But virtually EVERY death from "COVID" since about May 2020, is a DIRECT result of the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as BammyKair.

IT gave the CDC the power to "determine" a "pandemic" and then "direct" use of "protocols." Which it did - using Quack Fauci's patented-but-worthless drug, Remdesivir; and PROHIBITING HCQ, ivermectin, and anything else that suggested there was not a need for the Pfizer-Moderna-patented "vaccine."

People were left to die, and killed with Remdesivir (which causes renal failure) so as to amp up the panic, keep the Emergency Use Authorization active, and give both Fauci and Pfizer a big payday.

AND IT IS STILL GOING ON TODAY. If you get the Coof, God help you. Stay at home; get ivermectin and zinc, any way you can.

SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, did this. Twenty years ago, our physicians would just write scrips for what they thought would work, and usually it did.