PDA

View Full Version : Oxford University May Scrap Sheet Music for Being Complicit in ‘White Supremacy’

Moonie
03-29-2021, 10:01 AM
Oxford University May Scrap Sheet Music for Being Complicit in ‘White Supremacy’

The University of Oxford is considering proposals that would remove sheet music from its curriculum over woke claims that teaching the Western form of musical notation has roots in “colonialism” and “complicity in white supremacy”.

In response to widespread Black Lives Matter protesters and riots last year in the United Kingdom, music educators at Oxford University have joined the wider iconoclastic movement which has been sweeping through British academia.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2021/03/29/oxford-university-considers-scraping-sheet-music-for-being-complicit-in-white-supremacy/

Moonie
03-29-2021, 10:03 AM
So ALL those numerous black students at Oxford are miserable about this are they?

Oceander
03-29-2021, 10:04 AM
Please tell me this is a piece from the Onion or the Babylon Bee!

Moonie
03-29-2021, 10:15 AM
The University of Oxford is considering proposals that would remove sheet music from its curriculum over woke claims that teaching the Western form of musical notation has roots in “colonialism” and “complicity in white supremacy”.

In response to widespread Black Lives Matter protesters and riots last year in the United Kingdom, music educators at Oxford University have joined the wider iconoclastic movement which has been sweeping through British academia.

The music department at the prestigious and ancient university has seen calls to remove music notation from the curriculum as professors seek to focus less on white European heritage and culture, according (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/27/musical-notations-branded-colonialist-oxford-professors-hoping/) to documents seen by The Telegraph.

The woke educators went on to claim that musical notation itself is a “colonialist representational system” that has “complicity to white supremacy”. The claim is similar to leftist pronouncements in America that mathematics is inherently racist (https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/08/09/brooklyn-college-education-prof-claims-math-is-white-supremacist-patriarchy/).

The Oxford academics went on to pronounce that teaching the piano or conducting orchestras could cause “students of colour great distress” as the skills involved are closely tied to “white European music”.

https://news.marketcap.com/oxford-university-may-scrap-sheet-music-complicit-in-white-supremacy/

teeceetx
03-29-2021, 10:25 AM
Sick sick mutherfuckers.

Oceander
03-29-2021, 10:25 AM
These people are out of control.

Moonie
03-29-2021, 10:27 AM
And here for any doubters of the originally linked Breitbart link is one from the Daily Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/27/musical-notations-branded-colonialist-oxford-professors-hoping/

Big Dummy
03-29-2021, 10:57 AM
OK let’s play along. What is the African alternative to sheet music? I’m waiting.

If you are black/mooslim or other living in a country founded by white Europeans, and are offended by any custom/culture/language, just leave.

UKSmartypants
03-29-2021, 11:01 AM
No sheet music , no one gets to learn music. Apart from by ear, but you can hardly learn a Brahms Piano Concerto by ear.

Morons.

Moonie
03-29-2021, 11:04 AM
And as an ex guest-speaker (twice) at the Oxford Union and, as such, but a toy to them at the Oxford Union I used to look at their self-indulgent hypocrisy for what it was. It must have been a slow news week for them to even invite me.

At least I got asked to a couple of in house, but informal college-dinners as a result

Big Wheeler
03-29-2021, 11:05 AM
Jungle drums and bones.Is that cultural?

Moonie
03-29-2021, 11:07 AM

Jungle drums and bones.Is that cultural?

Only at Oriel.

Foghorn
03-29-2021, 11:10 AM
Why stop there, just ban all music written before 1992.

TLSG
03-29-2021, 11:13 AM
They want to ban it because those bipeds don't know how to read it.

Moonie
03-29-2021, 11:20 AM
The fun was telling the second debate at the Union was that I was ex-Army (although I was serving at the time - to which I never told the Army itself). Oh boy, was I not invited back as an obvious imperialist agitator after that.

Dr. Felix Birdbiter
03-29-2021, 11:53 AM
How long before the written language is deemed racist (I guess we could learn pictographs or Chinese characters.) Or then we can just outlaw spoken language and be done with it.

Dr. Felix Birdbiter
03-29-2021, 11:55 AM
They want to ban it because those bipeds don't know how to read it.
I don't know how to read it either but my daughter and granddaughter do. Little racist pigs they are!!!!

Freewill
03-29-2021, 12:01 PM
Stevie Wonder don't need no racist sheet music.

Next they will be wishing to ban computers. After all, on the most basic level, the computer operates on 1s and 0s, which is what bigots try to say about gender. This either/or BS has to end.

Of course the whole discussion has nothing to do with a method of annotating music, it has to do with the narrative that there is nothing that whites have ever done that amounts to a hill of beans. Everything the white man has done is for one reason, racism. So they start a month to celebrate black accomplishment that whites obviously take credit for. We are devolving no wonder our children are depressed and angry.

Freewill
03-29-2021, 12:02 PM
How long before the written language is deemed racist (I guess we could learn pictographs or Chinese characters.) Or then we can just outlaw spoken language and be done with it.
As long as you are still posting I would assume. :D :D

Swedgin
03-29-2021, 01:04 PM
ROFLMAO!!!

See, the beauty of these ELITIST Institutions is that you don't really have to LEARN anything?

Education hasn't been their purpose for decades. Instead, these are "rubber-stamp" institutions for the children of the elite, and, those whom the elite choose to allow into their class spectrum.

Doesn't matter what you know. Only that you have that piece of pig skin that says you are to be allowed amongst the Aristocracy.

Authentic
03-29-2021, 01:09 PM
No sheet music , no one gets to learn music. Apart from by ear, but you can hardly learn a Brahms Piano Concerto by ear.

Morons.
Brahms was white, therefore he is cancelled.

Taxcutter
03-29-2021, 03:51 PM
Does working at a university qualify you as a moron?

UKSmartypants
03-29-2021, 03:58 PM
Brahms was white, therefore he is cancelled.

Brahms was a jolly decent chap. The Bradford born son of a Pork Butcher, he always demanded payment up front when conducting, and would then perform with one hand in his pocket, jingling the coins.

darroll
03-29-2021, 03:59 PM
I just went and peeked at her sheet music and saw The Little Drummer Boy. (Ain't he awful)

Gator Monroe
03-29-2021, 04:50 PM
Soon they will cancel Winter Olympics

Freewill
03-29-2021, 09:53 PM
A headline for the Babylon Bee. "Blacks ask for slavery to be reinstated since the civil war was fought mostly by white men expressing their white supremacy as they charged into cannister fire."

Hairball
03-30-2021, 05:29 AM
I can't read music; I play piano and guitar by ear. However, it's very obvious, especially in classical music, that I often miss the nuances and undertones that make the music come to life. I think people who can read music are indeed much better.

I'm so tired of this "woke" garbage. It's anything BUT awake; it's destructive.

Swedgin
03-30-2021, 06:52 AM
I can't read music; I play piano and guitar by ear. However, it's very obvious, especially in classical music, that I often miss the nuances and undertones that make the music come to life. I think people who can read music are indeed much better.

True.

Classical tends to have a bit more nuance than the current limits of sophistication, Cardi-B!

Fortunately, music archaeologists have recently discovered a lost Mozart piece, titled: "Stroking mein schwanz." It should be a hit with modern audiences, but...many worry that it may involve too many instruments for the audio perception of modern children.....

Oceander
03-30-2021, 07:50 AM
A headline for the Babylon Bee. "Blacks ask for slavery to be reinstated since the civil war was fought mostly by white men expressing their white supremacy as they charged into cannister fire."

You should send it to them and see if they do anything with it!

Gator Monroe
03-30-2021, 10:49 AM
Could Frank Zappa read Sheet Music ?

TLSG
03-30-2021, 12:17 PM
Could Frank Zappa read Sheet Music ?

Apparently so. He wrote this piece (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Page)...

Gator Monroe
03-30-2021, 12:21 PM
Apparently so. He wrote this piece (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Page)...

Then the woke folks are truly losers

Moonie
03-30-2021, 03:07 PM
There are several verses of Prokofiev that would ease Oxford's anti-whiteism. I used to go to the academic public houses of the intellectually elite and never see a black face. Where where they hiding their intelligence? One of the somewhat casual-less whiteist music schools?

Knightkore
03-30-2021, 03:12 PM

I play flute. I can read music. I have issues playing by ear. Always wanted to do that.