PDA

View Full Version : Ash Wednesday

Matt
03-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Dust you are and to dust you will return.

Anyone get their ashes today? I did. Luckily the hospital chaplain knows how busy we all are and put on an impromptu 10 min service in our chapel. It was nice.

Trinnity
03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Ironic. Our chimney caught on fire this morning after hubby put some cardboard in it to dispose of said cardboard. looked like a volcano or Roman candle comong out the top - I'm told. I was asleep and missed it. Hubby and sons dealt with it. Ashes all over the deck.

Everything is okay though. The house/chimney is 15 years old. What do we do? Will those creosote log things do the job or has the chimney gone so long w/o ever being cleaned that we need a chimney sweep? Money IS an issue.

Sorry for the off-topic, Cal.

JustPassinThru
03-05-2014, 09:37 AM
You're lucky the house didn't burn down.

Usually what happens is the heat and violence causes the chimney to come apart while the fire is raging, and then it'll spread to the house.

I once, with my wood stove with a stovepipe...had a flue-fire. I'd gotten some free firewood, it was pine. I knew there wasn't much heat in the wood but I didn't count on the resin - and then, a couple of weeks later, the flue touched off.

The pipe, inside the house, was glowing a dull red. I was afraid it would burn through; but closing the damper eventually put it out.

As for Ash Wednesday: I don't observe. Even when I was a kid going to church, we in our sect didn't make a big deal of it. Observed it, yes, but not the theatrics or diet restrictions.

JustPassinThru
03-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Everything is okay though. The house/chimney is 15 years old. What do we do? Will those creosote log things do the job or has the chimney gone so long w/o ever being cleaned that we need a chimney sweep? Money IS an issue.

It all depends - is it a clay flue or is it a steel pipe, like most modern cut-price fireplaces/chimneys these days?

I'd contact a chimney sweep and find out. It can happen in any flue, depending on what has been burned in there. And you've obviously got buildup.

If it's a clay flue, and you've had a fire in it...you NEED it inspected before you use the fireplace again.

Trinnity
03-05-2014, 09:43 AM
It's a custom built home with clay flue and brick outer.

Trinnity
03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I found a local man who seems good. He's gonna charge $225. I'll prolly just have to put this off til summer and not use the FP any more this winter. I can't afford that extra bill right now. Fortunately, winter is almost over.

JustPassinThru
03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Yer farked.

You need that inspected before you use it again.

Ask neighbors. Ask a shop that does fireplace-oriented supplies and construction. But do NOT use it until you've had it looked at...unless, of course, you really need to get out from under the mortgage.

You may be able to get it lined, if the structural strength isn't weakened.

Trinnity
03-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm not farked. I doubt it was damaged. It was well constructed by a good custom builder. I'll get it cleaned and inspected later.

JustPassinThru
03-05-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm not farked. I doubt it was damaged. It was well constructed by a good custom builder. I'll get it cleaned and inspected later.

Keep in mind, fire can SERIOUSLY weaken masonry and mortar. Which is why so often a brick structure which has partly burned, winds up being clammed - or the rebuild takes the brick down where the fire burned.

That chimney may be weakened enough that it needs bracing or replacing; or the inner flue may be cracked. Don't mess around - especially since it's a new house.

I'd call the insurance agent - ask where you would stand if you put in a claim.

sachem
03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
I got my ashes.

sachem
03-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. It is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption.
Why we receive the ashesFollowing the example of the Nine vites, who did penance in sackcloth and ashes, our foreheads are marked with ashes to humble our hearts and reminds us that life passes away on Earth. We remember this when we are told
"Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."
Ashes are a symbol of penance made sacramental by the blessing of the Church, and they help us develop a spirit of humility and sacrifice.

Ashes are a symbol of penance made sacramental by the blessing of the Church, and they help us develop a spirit of humility and sacrifice.
The distribution of ashes comes from a ceremony of ages past. Christians who had committed grave faults performed public penance. On Ash Wednesday, the Bishop blessed the hair shirts which they were to wear during the forty days of penance, and sprinkled over them ashes made from the palms from the previous year. Then, while the faithful recited the Seven Penitential Psalms, the penitents were turned out of the church because of their sins -- just as Adam, the first man, was turned out of Paradise because of his disobedience. The penitents did not enter the church again until Maundy Thursday after having won reconciliation by the toil of forty days' penance and sacramental absolution. Later, all Christians, whether public or secret penitents, came to receive ashes out of devotion. In earlier times, the distribution of ashes was followed by a penitential procession.

Rudy2D
03-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Ironic. Our chimney caught on fire this morning after hubby put some cardboard in it to dispose of said cardboard. looked like a volcano or Roman candle comong out the top - I'm told. I was asleep and missed it. Hubby and sons dealt with it. Ashes all over the deck.

Glad you didn't make an ash outta yourself.

Micketto
03-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. It is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption.
Why we receive the ashes

Following the example of the Nine vites, who did penance in sackcloth and ashes, our foreheads are marked with ashes to humble our hearts and reminds us that life passes away on Earth. We remember this when we are told
"Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."

The distribution of ashes comes from a ceremony of ages past. Christians who had committed grave faults performed public penance. On Ash Wednesday, the Bishop blessed the hair shirts which they were to wear during the forty days of penance, and sprinkled over them ashes made from the palms from the previous year. Then, while the faithful recited the Seven Penitential Psalms, the penitents were turned out of the church because of their sins -- just as Adam, the first man, was turned out of Paradise because of his disobedience. The penitents did not enter the church again until Maundy Thursday after having won reconciliation by the toil of forty days' penance and sacramental absolution. Later, all Christians, whether public or secret penitents, came to receive ashes out of devotion. In earlier times, the distribution of ashes was followed by a penitential procession.

Nice attempt at getting the thread back on topic, lol. Good luck.

Perianne
03-05-2014, 05:20 PM
I found a local man who seems good. He's gonna charge $225. I'll prolly just have to put this off til summer and not use the FP any more this winter. I can't afford that extra bill right now. Fortunately, winter is almost over.
liberal_hack would probably pay you $225 in exchange for making him moderator.

Seriously, I have seen flue-cleaning videos on Youtube. You might want to look them up.

Matt
03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Nice attempt at getting the thread back on topic, lol. Good luck.

It's a vain attempt when it comes to this community.