Thread: Kim Is On Target

Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks

Kim Is On Target

but she does not go far enough.

KIMBERLEY STRASSEL

VIDEO ▼

Hits Misses: 3/10/18 | On Air Videos | Fox News

Put the entire country and U.S. possessions on military time. In that way the time is the same time everywhere.

Here are a few benefits that nobody mentions.

Ante meridiem (A.M.) and post meridiem (P.M.) are gone.

This country’s four time zones will be eliminated.

The economy will be the biggest benefit of all when everybody has to buy military time clocks, watches, and everything else that has A.M./P.M. readouts built-in. —— most notably, telephones and personal computers.
    Last edited by Flanders; 03-11-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    FLANDERS

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flanders For This Useful Post:

Quark (03-11-2018),Swedgin (03-12-2018)

Alumni Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    She's pretty as long as she doesn't talk.

I too wish the government would settle on one time and stay with it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Flanders (03-11-2018),Kodiak (03-11-2018),patrickt (03-21-2018)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    [b]She's pretty as long as she doesn't talk.[/i]

I too wish the government would settle on one time and stay with it.
    I thought the same thing, in fact that's the best picture I have seen of her. I know it's mean, but holy horsemouth when it's open!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Flanders (03-11-2018),Quark (03-11-2018)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Going Military time might be a bit much for most of our fellow citizens. (Many who eat Tide Pods, and vote Dimocrat....).

But, I like the idea. We certainly need to stick to the Daylight Saving Time that just went in to effect. Sure, we have to get up an hour earlier, but I like to see a wee bit of daylight, on my way home. (And soon, we will have daylight well past 8:00! That is MAGNIFICENT in my opinion. I HATE it when it is dark when I drive in, and dark, when I drive home...)
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

Dr. Felix Birdbiter (03-21-2018),Flanders (03-12-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Going Military time might be a bit much for most of our fellow citizens. (Many who eat Tide Pods, and vote Dimocrat....).

But, I like the idea. We certainly need to stick to the Daylight Saving Time that just went in to effect. Sure, we have to get up an hour earlier, but I like to see a wee bit of daylight, on my way home. (And soon, we will have daylight well past 8:00! That is MAGNIFICENT in my opinion. I HATE it when it is dark when I drive in, and dark, when I drive home...)
    There are people now who can't keep track of the fact that when it's 8 a.m. on the east coast it's 5 a.m. in Oregon. "Oh, did I wake you up?" Now if you do away with time zones and 0800 on the east coast is 0800 on the west coast but people on the west coast are still two or three hours away from starting their day will graduates from today's universities ever figure it out?.

As for using a 24-hr clock, I think that's fine. I can inadvertently put a 10:45 a.m. appointment on my calendar for 10:45 p.m. Of course, it might also be nice if Google Calendar would ask, "Did you mean to make that appointment with Rhonda Swinson at 12:30 a.m.?"

I don't really care what the clock says but I'm tired of changing twice a year because it gives politicians a woody to know they can jerk us around.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    Why would the time zones go away? I understand military time (hell, lets go to bells and do it really right; for example right now its 1838 or 5 bells) but I don't see how the time zones are affected.

Never mind, the military uses GMT and Zulu as the basic time. On board ship in the 60's we used "bells", which began at midnight (eight bells and rang 1 bell (0030 would be 1 bell, 0100 would be two bells etc) for each half hour for four hours (eight bells again)
    Last edited by Dr. Felix Birdbiter; 03-21-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    "We Are Kate Steinle Now"

Calypso Jones

Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    Why would the time zones go away? I understand military time (hell, lets go to bells and do it really right; for example right now its 1838 or 5 bells) but I don't see how the time zones are affected.

To Dr. Felix Birdbiter:
    1800 6:00 PM in New York would be 1800 2:00 PM in California. Ergo, no need for time zones.

The International Date Line could also be eliminated if every country agrees that 1800 January 1, is the same time for everybody irrespective of where the sun is. In short: 1800 January 1 in New York and 1800 January 1 in Timbuktu is settled by real-life time not GMT, the sun or time zones. The location for the start of a new day 00-00-01 (one second after midnight) is the only thing that has to be decided. London (GMT) could continue to start the new day, but that is not set in cement.

Legal documents, contracts, financial markets, evidence in civil and criminal proceedings, etc. will quickly adjust to Universal Military Time (UMT) because those things only affect a minute percentage of the total world population.

Finally, individuals think about time in relation to where they are standing. Nobody looks at a clock and thinks about the time in faraway places.
    FLANDERS

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

Thread Information