User Tag List

Thread: Water Out of Thin Air

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entrySocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Water Out of Thin Air

Another device for gathering water out of the atmosphere. I've seen a lot of these but no later reports on how they're actually working.

Anyone got anything?

Full story @ A Nanotech Device Harvests Water in the Driest Places
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - rambling and musing about military life.

I proudly voted for President Trump!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (03-08-2018),Conservative Libertarian (03-08-2018)

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Yes, I have two of these in my basement! They each provide about 30 liters per day. I usually just pour the water down the drain, though.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...5158876&ipos=2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (03-08-2018)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Ranch in California Mountains & Nevada high desert
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think they would work well in damp areas ```

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    As with almost all things even vaguely associated with solar voltaic, the resources consumed in the manufacture of the system will be 20X that produced by the system over its lifespan.

Not just Power is used in the manufacture of solar cells, but vast amounts of fresh, purified, water.

So, like solar power, it can be used to provide a small amount of the resource, over a 20-30 year period, slowly decaying in quantity, over that lifespan, but at an expense of 20X the produced resource to originally manufacture it.

So, for a remote hiking trail water fountain in a Southwestern Desert, it is a practical solution.

You're not going to turn deserts into gardens using this technology.

And if you try to do so, use it on a mass scale, you're going to create polution, as well as water and power shortages where ever you base the manufacturing technique.

And the gut level instinct which allows someone with technical knowledge and background to look at this setup and see those faults is the difference between an Engineer and a Progressive-Low-Info-Manipulator.

There has never been, and never will be, "A free lunch"! -
    Last edited by Kurmugeon; 03-08-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    Hope and Prayer are integrally linked, never underestimate or undervalue, the power of either! - Kurmugeon
    I do NOT trust people who do not Love Dogs! - Kurmugeon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurmugeon For This Useful Post:

sargentodiaz (03-10-2018)

Thanks
    If you want to take water out of the air in a mass scale, with something remotely approximating efficency, turn to Nature and biological constructs.

There are certain desert plants, Cacti and some thick leaf succulent ground cover plants which are very efficent at storing water, and not losing it to transperation, as well as catching and absorbing early morning dew, when conditions are right for it precepitating from morning exchange winds passing over the foliage.

Theoretically, you could setup a Track Held Farm of such plants of the appropriate desert cliff edges, (for the natural daily exchange winds) with the "Track" a means of sending a robotic mechanical harvester down the line to gather the vegitation after a carefully planned "Growth Season".

Then, Mirror Arrays could be used to heat the vegitable matter, driving off steam, to be condensed and gathered. The left over Mulch or mostly desicated vegitable matter could then be reactor converted into bio-fuel, to drive the generators used to run the harvesting robots.

95%+ of the active mass, (Not the Supporting Cliff Rock) of the system would be growing desert plants.

No Man-Designed machine, unless a massive heavy-metal nuclear facility is used, will come close to the efficency of atmospheric moisture gather mechanisms of desert plants.

-
    Last edited by Kurmugeon; 03-08-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Hope and Prayer are integrally linked, never underestimate or undervalue, the power of either! - Kurmugeon

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One of the most efficient ways of creating water our of air is so simple it's amazing.

Dig a hole in the ground.
    Put a container in the bottom of the whole
    Cover the hole with a piece of porous cloth.
    Place a small stone on the cloth to cause it to sag.

Within about 24 hours, the container in the bottom of the hole will be filled with drinking water.

Works every time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

JustPassinThru (03-10-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
    One of the most efficient ways of creating water our of air is so simple it's amazing.

Within about 24 hours, the container in the bottom of the hole will be filled with drinking water.

Works every time.
    Yes, I was taught this technique and actually practiced doing it in AirForce Downed Aircrew Survival School.

In real life practice, it doesn't work as well as it seems it might in theory. And placing cut branches of small, leafy vegitation down in the hole greatly increases the yeild, until the hole starts getting to "Skanky" to want to drink anything not filtered and boiled first.

There is an inflatable, Beach Ball, with reflective plactic undersurface and clear plastic upper surface, Solar Still, for taking sea water and making fresh water, that is a part of most parachute survival kits as well. They work, but are heavily subject to cloud cover and wave action disabling their production.

But these are survival techinques, not industrial scale resource production mechanisms.

If you have lots of electrical power, you can drive sizeable amounts of water from just crushed limestone. That's how the Mortar used in Concrete is manufactured. Though normally, those areas with lots of easily accessed limestone, have more than enough fresh water, that no effort to retain the steam and condense it into water is made.

And there is the Nuclear Power Driven Desalination option too.

NASA has worked out a bunch of ways to take rock and sand, and make water from them, for potential use in Martian and Lunar Colonies.

It is still much more practical to simply catch, clean, and store rainwater, than do any of these exotic techniques.

-
    Last edited by Kurmugeon; 03-10-2018 at 07:46 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurmugeon For This Useful Post:

sargentodiaz (03-10-2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurmugeon View Post
    Yes, I was taught this technique and actually practiced doing it in AirForce Downed Aircrew Survival School.

In real life practice, it doesn't work as well as it seems it might in theory. And placing cut branches of small, leafy vegitation down in the hole greatly increases the yeild, until the hole starts getting to "Skanky" to want to drink anything not filtered and boiled first.

There is an inflatable, Beach Ball, with reflective plactic undersurface and clear plastic upper surface, Solar Still, for taking sea water and making fresh water, that is a part of most parachute survival kits as well. They work, but are heavily subject to cloud cover and wave action disabling their production.

But these are survival techinques, not industrial scale resource production mechanisms.

If you have lots of electrical power, you can drive sizeable amounts of water from just crushed limestone. That's how the Mortar used in Concrete is manufactured. Though normally, those areas with lots of easily accessed limestone, have more than enough fresh water, that no effort to retain the steam and condense it into water is made.

And there is the Nuclear Power Driven Desalination option too.

NASA has worked out a bunch of ways to take rock and sand, and make water from them, for potential use in Martian and Lunar Colonies.

It is still much more practical to simply catch, clean, and store rainwater, than do any of these exotic techniques.

-

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Works every time.
    With a plastic container instead of a hole, you have a Survival Mini-Still kit.

As to the original: The problem here out West, is not getting water out of the air, but INTO the air. You have not lived until you enjoy the sensation of your thick hide on the soles of your feet, splitting open from extreme dryness.

During cold snaps, in my little apartment, I go through a gallon of distilled water every two days. I use distilled water because tap water will soil the evaporative mesh - and that costs a lot more to replace than $.99 distilled water jugs.

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Dehydrated water!!! What an improvement
    "We Are Kate Steinle Now"

Calypso Jones

Thread Information