User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Army Basic To change more in line with Marine Corp Boot Camp

Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    I agree with you Joe, but don’t think it will happen. The problem is all those skills are pareshisable, if you don’t constantly use them they will diminish. It’s no different in the Marine Corps, I’ve meet more then a few Marines that couldn’t land nav, read a map or disassembled a M240 to save their life.

If your Military specialty is finance or supply or a medical skill(besides combat medic), etc no matter the branch. Your combat skills will be few and far between, you will only receive minimal combat trianing once you reach your unit. The only time you’ll fire a weapon is during qualification and you will have your hand held the whole time. A secretary in the Army or the MC is not much different then a secretary in civilian life, they spent most of their day sitting in an office.

Im glad to see they will be focusing more on discipline, this is surely need in basic and AIT. But the one thing that struck me is, if you have undisciplined soldiers reaching your unit. It is the NCO’s job in those units to fix it, basic is just that basic trianing. The advanced trianing happens at the unit level with the NCO’s leading the way. When it comes to non-combat arms, I don’t think this is being done. NCO’s need to get off their ass and start teaching these soldiers, marines, airmen how to be a warrior, not just a secretary.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I was reminded of when my son went into the Air Force. He called me the first night he was there.
    "Dad, I made a terrible mistake. This is horrible. I'm coming home."
    "You can't just leave."
    "Why not? Half the guys have already DORed."
    "What's DOR?"
    "Discharge on Request."
    "Whose request?"
    "Yours."
    "You mean if you don't want to be there you can leave?"
    "Sure, couldn't you?"
    "Only to get the bus to Leavenworth Federal Prison."
    "I'm coming home."
    "Sorry. The locks have been changed and we're renting your room. Call me in a month."

My wife gave me hell but that was par for the course. The next time my son called everything was fine and when I reminded him of the call he said, "Oh, dad, that was just the first night." The military made a serious mistake with that policy.

Later I mentioned KP. My son asked me what that was and I told him. "They hire Mexicans to do that now." Go figure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (02-13-2018)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I was reminded of when my son went into the Air Force. He called me the first night he was there.
    "You can't just leave."
    "What's DOR?"
    "Discharge on Request."
    "Whose request?"
    "Yours."
    "Sure, couldn't you?"
    "I'm coming home."
    "Sorry. The locks have been changed and we're renting your room. Call me in a month."

My wife gave me hell but that was par for the course. The next time my son called everything was fine and when I reminded him of the call he said, "Oh, dad, that was just the first night." The military made a serious mistake with that policy.

Later I mentioned KP. My son asked me what that was and I told him. "They hire Mexicans to do that now." Go figure.
    Reminds me of this song:

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    "You can't just leave."
    "What's DOR?"
    "Discharge on Request."
    "Whose request?"
    "Yours."
    "Sure, couldn't you?"
    "I'm coming home."

no kp?
    "The nose, knows"

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    no kp?
    He had no idea what it was. The grunt work was done by hired Mexican nationals.

Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Fort Knox Kentucky 1985, on our fourth day of combined basic and AIT. Once again at o430 the DS’s came into our bay and stated screaming and tipping over beds ordering us outside into formation. One kid snapped and yelled out ‘f-this shit, I quit and want to go home’ you could of heard a pin drop. We and the DS’s just stared at this fool. The ranking DS, then ordered the rest of us down to formation now and then they converged on the wimping fool in the corner.

It’s 0435, we minus one are in formation but no DS have yet come out of the building. Then the window to our bay opens, third floor mind you. Then the whimpering fool is hanging out the window with three DS holding him by his legs. Yelling at him if you want to go home, it will be in a body bag. They then pulled him up and we never saw him again, but no one ever said they wanted to go home again in our company.

What they really did with him was recycle him and send him back to in processing, but we didn’t know that. It sent us a message, that was received loud and clear.

V.I.P. V.I.P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    no kp?
    He had no idea what it was. The grunt work was done by hired Mexican nationals.
    USAF basic back when had 3 days of KP getting up at 4 am and back to barracks at 8 pm. Long day of hard work!

After 1st phase basic, when went to tech school and AIT (2nd phase BMT), had KP 1 day every 12 weeks...called it "Academic KP"..!!

V.I.P
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Basic Training for me when I was in the Army was grueling, no different than the Marines, just different insignia.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act”.
    George Orwell

V.I.P. V.I.P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolwalker View Post
    Basic Training for me when I was in the Army was grueling, no different than the Marines, just different insignia.

Reminds me of a saying we had after boot camp, "The Marines tear you down during basic and then build you back up; whereas, the Air Force tears you down in basic and leaves you there for 4 yrs!"

V.I.P
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
    Reminds me of a saying we had after boot camp, "The Marines tear you down during basic and then build you back up; whereas, the Air Force tears you down in basic and leaves you there for 4 yrs!"
    The Army made us all one, no individuals

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act”.
    George Orwell

Thread Information