User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On-Line Driver's License....

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMWinPR View Post
    Quite frankly I'm much less worried about some parolees records being destroyed than having the Federal Office of Personell Management giving away my SF-86 data.
    I remember my interview for my security clearance. A captain warned me not to try to lie because, "We know more about you than you know about yourself." I said I wasn't planning on lying because I had no need to lie. Then he said, "I see you were an only child."
    "Yes. So was my sister."
    "Oh, you have a sister?"

I know it's a shock but I doubt we will go back to no computers. The question isn't what information will be on a computer, such as your driver's license information which is certainly on a computer, but how we will control the system.

My wife, now my ex-wife, joined a religious cult that longed for the good ole days of the 1800s. I totally agreed with the things she missed about those long ago days. When she finished her list I started mine. "No antibiotics." No, those are okay. "No, washing machines." No, those are okay. I won't go on but I'm sure you know how it went.

I am curious. If someone, right now, hacked the driver's license files for your state, what's the worst they could do?

Artificial Intelligence - The liberal elites and Hollywood pundits. No real intelligence in either one.
    Last edited by patrickt; 02-11-2018 at 05:13 AM.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I remember my interview for my security clearance. A captain warned me not to try to lie because, "We know more about you than you know about yourself." I said I wasn't planning on lying because I had no need to lie. Then he said, "I see you were an only child."
    "Yes. So was my sister."
    "Oh, you have a sister?"

I know it's a shock but I doubt we will go back to no computers. The question isn't what information will be on a computer, such as your driver's license information which is certainly on a computer, but how we will control the system.

My wife, now my ex-wife, joined a religious cult that longed for the good ole days of the 1800s. I totally agreed with the things she missed about those long ago days. When she finished her list I started mine. "No antibiotics." No, those are okay. "No, washing machines." No, those are okay. I won't go on but I'm sure you know how it went.

I am curious. If someone, right now, hacked the driver's license files for your state, what's the worst they could do?

Artificial Intelligence - The liberal elites and Hollywood pundits. No real intelligence in either one.
    I don't know, but giving up your electronic storage device is not only asking for trouble, but paying for it. On line medical records are even worse.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMWinPR View Post
    I don't know, but giving up your electronic storage device is not only asking for trouble, but paying for it. On line medical records are even worse.
    Do you mean handing your phone to a government agent when you say "giving up your electronic storage device"? It's my understanding that when entering or leaving the U.S. the government can take your phone or your laptop and keep it as long as they want to inspect what's on it.

"When you're entering the United States, federal agents have broad authority to search citizens and visitors alike — but a new lawsuit filed Wednesday is trying to change that.

"The lawsuit, filed by the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the American Civil Liberties Union, seeks to prevent agents from flipping through your phone, computer, and any other electronic devices you have with you without getting a warrant first.

"As the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) outlines in a tearsheet it provides to people at the border, federal agents today can seize and search your phone, and even make a copy of it to have forensic experts analyze its contents off-site."
    What to do if asked to hand over your phone, computer at the US border - Business Insider

As I stated earlier, many of the problems encountered with stupid use of computers, which is the government way of doing things, can also be solved by using the computers. I would suggest that the information be accessible by the MVD and you personally by keying the information to your phone or to another phone with a PIN. When a police officer stops you, he can use the DL app on his phone to access the site and you can provide him with the PIN that would allow him to see only your DL information. Then, if you choose, you can change your PIN when the contact is over.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Do you mean handing your phone to a government agent when you say "giving up your electronic storage device"? It's my understanding that when entering or leaving the U.S. the government can take your phone or your laptop and keep it as long as they want to inspect what's on it.

"When you're entering the United States, federal agents have broad authority to search citizens and visitors alike — but a new lawsuit filed Wednesday is trying to change that.

"The lawsuit, filed by the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the American Civil Liberties Union, seeks to prevent agents from flipping through your phone, computer, and any other electronic devices you have with you without getting a warrant first.

"As the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) outlines in a tearsheet it provides to people at the border, federal agents today can seize and search your phone, and even make a copy of it to have forensic experts analyze its contents off-site."
    What to do if asked to hand over your phone, computer at the US border - Business Insider

As I stated earlier, many of the problems encountered with stupid use of computers, which is the government way of doing things, can also be solved by using the computers. I would suggest that the information be accessible by the MVD and you personally by keying the information to your phone or to another phone with a PIN. When a police officer stops you, he can use the DL app on his phone to access the site and you can provide him with the PIN that would allow him to see only your DL information. Then, if you choose, you can change your PIN when the contact is over.
    All true, in addition, my understanding it extends 100 miles from a border. Sooo only keep a minimum on the computer and encrypt your archival DVDs.

Thread Information