User Tag List

Thread: How to be a Junior Servicemember in the Pentagon

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

How to be a Junior Servicemember in the Pentagon

While I was not directly in the Five-sided Puzzle Palace, I worked for the Deputy Surgeon General for Research and Development - a DOD level assignment. The truth in this article is what I experienced myself; with some initiative and research, junior personnel can have a major impact on military planning and initiative. I managed to come up with a program that allowed recruiting college graduates for specific medical research and development programs.

Military operations may be the lifeblood of service, but junior officers and enlisted personnel can have an impact while working at the Pentagon. Leveraging the networks and practices that have worked for young Americans in other industries, junior personnel are uniquely poised to make the most out of their Pentagon tours and posture the Department of Defense for future reform.

Full essay @ https://warontherocks.com/2018/01/ju...mber-pentagon/
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - rambling and musing about military life.

I proudly voted for President Trump!

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yea right. The O6's and above have 1 goal and 1 goal only, post service jobs in the private sector.

Trained...or Untrained ?
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
    While I was not directly in the Five-sided Puzzle Palace, I worked for the Deputy Surgeon General for Research and Development - a DOD level assignment. The truth in this article is what I experienced myself; with some initiative and research, junior personnel can have a major impact on military planning and initiative. I managed to come up with a program that allowed recruiting college graduates for specific medical research and development programs.

Military operations may be the lifeblood of service, but junior officers and enlisted personnel can have an impact while working at the Pentagon. Leveraging the networks and practices that have worked for young Americans in other industries, junior personnel are uniquely poised to make the most out of their Pentagon tours and posture the Department of Defense for future reform.

Full essay @ https://warontherocks.com/2018/01/ju...mber-pentagon/

Staff jobs and "Aide - De - Camps" are jobs that are interesting to some, and others....it is a way to get away from the rat race.....and prolong the inevitable.

An Officer enlists - and through ROTC ; or enlisting as an enlisted and competing OCS.....They become a Lieutenant. For simplicity - I'll do Army and Marine Corp.

A brand new Officer is "Branched". The Army or the Marines put them in the branch that they so choose = Armor, Artillery, Infantry, Communications, Military Police, Intel, Medical, and ect - ect. New Officers get a "Dream Sheet" to pick their branch.........but it is a toss up if you get what you asked for. A Officer has an electronics degree and asks for Communications. They might get stuck leading a tank platoon.

Officer is assigned to a unit - and is a new founded platoon leader. Up though second and first Lieutenant ; and about six or seven years after starting an Officers life ; they make Company Commander.

Company Commander ( Captain ) lasts for about three or four years.....depending on your Officer evaluation and manpower requirements.

Now you are getting to the big league. A Captain is promoted to Major and gets a Battalion staff job. S1 ( Admin ) - S2 ( Security ) - S3 ( Operations ) - S4 ( Logistics ) . In some units S5 ( Plans and Policy ) exists.....but not everywhere. Plans and Policy is usually a Division ( G5 ) .......and Pentagon ( J5 ) unit.

You take some schooling ; work in a Battalion doing a job you may or may not like - but this where where your career starts to get political.

After Battalion - learning and being mentored --- You make Lieutenant Colonel. You become an assistant Battalion Commander -- then later a Full Commander. This could take awhile.

After about three or four years as an assistant Battalion Commander ( Lieutenant Colonel / LTC ) - and another three years or so as a Full Battalion Commander .....You get your Eagle pinned on your collar and you become a Brigade Commander.....responsible for anywhere from "About" Three to seven Battalions ; depending on type of unit - posting - location... and Job. Somewhere in here ; either as an O-5 ( LTC ) or as an O-6 ( Full Colonel ) ..... An Officer will have to complete War College at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania. For the Army Folks.......going to Ranger School ( about 58 days ) as a Lieutenant or Captain as an Officer almost guarantees you fast and uninterrupted promotions ; and your choice of Assignments. US Army "Ranger " School......is the US Army number one leadership school - and its graduates are highly look upon .

Congrads. An Officer is now a Full Bird Colonel. Again depending on their career MOS ( Military Occupational Specialty ) - College Degree - Experience - references in their permanent file - Past assignments - Medals awarded .......they make Brigadier General ; and get a Pentagon assignment ; or work at the Military Division level ==Examples - 82nd Airborne Division , 2nd Marine Division for the Jar heads. Ranger Qualified Officers can go to a Spec Ops unit in a leadership position, the Pentagon in plans, or operations. Or an allied foreign Government.....as a Political & Military advisor. Once you have all that past command experience and War College.....the possibilities are endless.

OK. So, you are an Officer. You get assigned as an "Aide - De - Camp" ---- and you get a job at the Pentagon, or as some aide to a General at the Division level. It is somewhat fun, and if there is travel - it can exciting. But the article was a no joke article. "Aides" and "Aide - De - Camps" are the scrounge of the earth 95% of the time. 16 hour days, you do a lot of paperwork and research that others get credit for, if something goes wrong.....it is automatically the "Aides" fault. You perform jobs outside of your career field ; and unless you get a "Good Officer" to work for ; 95% of the time.......that "Aide" is just some General Officers " *ITCH ". Some dummys think that being an Aide or Aide - De - Camp is cool and prestigious. Fact is, the "about" three years that one is an Aide or an "Aide De Camp".....that is three years they are missing from being in a required leadership position. You have to have leadership and career experience.....to get promoted. Aide - De - Camps ( Aides to General & Senior Officers )......usually come in the flavor of a First Lieutenant or Captain. So.....as an Aide ; they are not in the Company leading, or they are not in the Platoon getting ready to make Company Commander. Their leadership requirements are on Hiatus ; while they do every "beck and call" for the General / Senior Officer. Instead of retiring at "About" twenty -five years service as a Full Colonel, or maybe.....maybe.... a One Star General..... they only make Major.

Enlisted and Officers need to remember one thing. Those folks at some personnel center........are the folks whom make CAREER decisions for the Officers and Enlisted. Schools, promotions, assignments......are all made, by people in Personnel ( the "Admin" Shop ) . It is their hands, where Officers and Enlisted careers lay. And Again, if an Officer wants to get anywhere - he needs a "Tab". A "Long Tab" is Special Forces, and the "Short Tab" is "Ranger School". An Officer these days.....pretty much needs a "tab" to get anywhere. A "Tabbed" Officer...with a degree in underwater polo ( just an example ) --- will do better in the Army, than the Non Ranger Officer whom has College Degree in Law. The "Tabbed Officers"...generally get promoted faster, and do better career wise - than "non Tabbed " Officers.

Ranger School is just a school - and Grads can go back to their own unit ---- Or Take an Assignment with the "75th Ranger Regiment" , under control of US Army Special Operations.

Leadership is very different paths in the Military = Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, Air Force. You can enjoy your job and career - and do everything at an even pace ; with regular assignments and promotions. Or you can delay everything.....and become an "Aide De Camp". You can stall your career....and your accomplishments ; by becoming an "Aide De Camp".

But.....there is the Prestige involved. ( Roll Eyes )

Joe Hallenbeck ( US Army )
    "Are you really trying to escape?"

--- John McClain "Live Free or Die Hard"

Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Interesting, my brother in law spent some time working at the pentagon. He was an E-8 in the Air Force, MI was his MOS. He always seemed to draw pretty cushy assignments, years before while I was in the Iraqi desert. He was in an air conditioned office in the same building as Schwarzkopf. He was a darn good Airmen though, he finally had to retire after 22 years when he could not get a E-9 spot.

Thread Information