Members banned from this thread: SomeCallMeTim

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science of Evolution, uncensored

Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    do you realize how very stupid it is to do that to a moderator?
    What kind of an example does a moderator set by calling a new poster liar, fool, and idiot then warn of "no personal attacks"?

RedheadAdmin V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    What kind of an example does a moderator set by calling a new poster liar, fool, and idiot then warn of "no personal attacks"?
    You are a troll. You came here to bitch. That's why. You want some more? Please. Come on. Bring it. I dare you.
    As a nation, we must face it. The Clintons are the reason for this mess. They're a cancer, poison, ruinous; a walking Constitutional Crisis. They should both be tried for Treason and executed for their crimes against American citizens and the USA. And they're not the only ones. Justice. It matters.

LOOKING FOR THE FORUM RULES?----> ---> ---> CLICK HERE

Thank you for helping us provide great customer service

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:

valley ranch (01-11-2018)

RedheadAdmin V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    Oh, you mean like these?

Thanks for the convincing demonstration of hypocrisy. Now please take your insults elsewhere unless you wish to discuss evolutionary theory like an adult.
    As a nation, we must face it. The Clintons are the reason for this mess. They're a cancer, poison, ruinous; a walking Constitutional Crisis. They should both be tried for Treason and executed for their crimes against American citizens and the USA. And they're not the only ones. Justice. It matters.

LOOKING FOR THE FORUM RULES?----> ---> ---> CLICK HERE

Thank you for helping us provide great customer service

Sr ADMIN/Founder Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Oh, you mean like these?

Thanks for the convincing demonstration of hypocrisy. Now please take your insults elsewhere unless you wish to discuss evolutionary theory like an adult.
    You will not harass my staff. Go stand in the corner.

One day temp ban is issued.
    FIRE and replace the bad Republicans in their primaries, but NEVER EVER vote for a Democrat.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertLafollet View Post
    The left is going to take it's country back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

Kodiak (01-12-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Since the trolls ruined the other thread here is a new one to discuss all aspects of evolutionary theory.

I have but one request. Anyone wishing to join the discussion please do a bit of research first and learn what the actual theory of evolution entails. Few things are more time wasting than having to deal with Creationist strawmen and misconceptions. To that end, here is an excellent layman's overview of evolution by the U. of California / Berkeley Natural History Museum

Understanding Evolution

Here is a good layman's summary of the many lines of consilient evidence supporting evolution.

Evidence for Macroevolution: The Scientific Case for Common Descent

Note that each section has references to dozens of published scientific papers where the evidence was documented. Each of those papers themselves reference dozens of other supporting papers. There is no one "best" piece of evidence for evolution. Evolutionary theory gets its strength for the consilience of hundreds of lines of independent, cross-correlating evidence from dozens of different scientific disciplines. All of the pieces fit together like a huge jigsaw puzzle. There are still many unknowns and areas of investigation but the quantity and quality of the existing evidence shows an unmistakable picture of the common descent of life over deep time.

The floor is open.
    Sorry, but you self-identify as a AGW Bridge-Dweller.

So your posts on technical threads is suspect and pointless.

Consistency Counts.

Get some.
    Last edited by Sled Dog; 01-12-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

LBJ was a Democrat. I wish more Democrats could be like him. He's dead now.

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    LoLOLOLOL 3.5 billion years.
    Yeah, since the measured age of the Earth is more like 4.5 gyears.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

LBJ was a Democrat. I wish more Democrats could be like him. He's dead now.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    OP sure does come off as an egotistical Internet thinks he knows it all. After the ban, I'll be sure to avoid his threads.

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    OP sure does come off as an egotistical Internet thinks he knows it all. After the ban, I'll be sure to avoid his threads.
    You should understand, threads like this attract attention. If I didn't know y'all so well, and if I was having a bad day at work or something, "even I" might be tempted to jump into a thread like this, and let loose a little rant on the ignorance.

One of the most important words in all of science is "scope". One must restrict scope, in one case to that which we know, and in another to that which we don't. In other words we must clearly understand what we know, and what we don't know.

Otherwise, what we get, is a political discussion, instead of a scientific discussion. "Scope" is what forces us to ask the right questions. If someone, in the context of a discussion on evolution, starts talking about the Origin of Species, I know right away the person is a creationist. Because no one else does that. Biologists who study evolution, do not ask that question, because it's not an important question.

Not "right now", anyway.

It is the SCOPE of what we know and what we don't, that tells us that. Right at this very moment, there are teams of scientists all over the country that have finally figured out that the brain works very much like the immune system. There are even little viruses that exchange genetic material between brain cells. Gerald Edelman, a Nobel prize-winning immunologist, recognized this way back in 1980, but it is taking this long for the idea to take root in the community.

The question of interest is the development of the prefrontal cortex, which is the newest AND the most genetically volatile region of the brain. This area has effectively duplicated an entire set of circuitry that originally pertained to motor expression. For example, the cerebellum "plays" the prefrontal cortex just like it gets involved when we're playing the piano. It is also the area that is affected by psychoactive drugs. It is also the area that is involved in ALL of the Cluster B phenomena.

The thing is, there is no obvious reason why this area should be genetically volatile. Even if an entire set of circuitry were duplicated by some genetic Magic, there is no reason why it should become volatile.

You see, if there was a designer, He was not so perfect. 4% of us are outright psychopaths. Another 11% end up with depression or some kind of attention disorder. A full third cease to function when we reach old age, either because of Alzheimer's or Parkinson's or half a dozen other things. The level of imperfection is quite significant.

When placed in the context of biological evolution, it makes sense. When placed in a creation is context, it doesn't.

What I believe, is the Creator is playing by an entirely different set of rules. They're His own rules, and we don't and can't understand them (at least, "yet"). I personally don't think the Creator knows or cares about species. I suspect there is plenty of variability in this universe, including species we know nothing about as of yet. Any perception that man is somehow separate or apart from the rest of biology, is pure anthropomorphic arrogance.

I'll take it a step further. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to go way out on a limb on this one. If your religion tells you that man is somehow biologically special, then your religion is wrong.

Man is not the Pinnacle of evolution.

Man is only a station stop along the way.

I've been studying biology for a very long time. 50 years, probably. I have multiple degrees in it, and I worked actively in the field for many years.

Don't ask me about the Origin of Species. Like, it doesn't matter. You should focus your energies and efforts and questions where it counts. There is so much we don't know in this area, that it is entirely pointless to argue a model. We need to focus our efforts on the actual Gathering of evidence. Which means, design an experiment, and publish the results.

I see absolutely no contradiction whatsoever between creationism and evolution. I suspect that those who say there is, don't understand the rules that the Creator is playing by. Maybe they think they do, but it's pretty obvious they really don't. They're arguing models instead of gathering evidence.

Look man, the strangest thing happens, if you start studying the brain because you're interested in computers or circuitry or molecules or something, all of a sudden you find yourself talking virus. Words like "transposons" and "intertransposons" will enter your vocabulary. They have nothing to do with anatomical circuits, and yet they have everything to do with the way the brain works. And it turns out you cannot understand the circuits, unless you understand the viruses. See so, it would be pretty pointless to argue about the circuits, right? Not when you're so fucking ignorant you don't even know about the viruses.

It seems to me we need to understand the rules first, before we start asking questions about how those rules are applied, like for instance to the Origin of Species.

I will postulate that the rules have everything to do with symmetry. I don't know enough about the mathematics of it yet to tell you much more than that, but I'm studying and learning even as we speak. When it comes to the Origin of Species, I suspect that there are "niches" we know nothing about, as of yet.

I can also tell you from personal study, that the function of the brain is also very revealing, in terms of the rules by which the Creator plays. The purpose of the brain is to optimize the behavior of the organism in real time. Once you understand that, in a deep way, you can begin to perceive some of the niches that may have been in play during early evolution. The most important of these, is the brain has to optimize around the current moment ("now"), and unfortunately there is a singularity in the information flow exactly at this moment. The brain can never know what is happening "now", because there is always a conduction delay along the nerve fibers.

If you start thinking about this from an evolutionary standpoint, you begin to understand what a big deal it is. The complexity that would have to go into building a device that could actually model the current moment, is quite astounding. In order to actually accomplish the task, it would have to be a high-level model, which means it would need to integrate a lot of information from a lot of different sources.

Biological evolution is exceedingly elegant. And we have a lot to learn about it. We barely know 5%, maybe even less. I'll probably be long dead and buried before questions about the Origin of Species start making sense.

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    because she can.

Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    You will not harass my staff.
    You seem to have been given some false information. I was the one who was harassed by members of your staff. All I did was point out the hypocrisy of having moderators troll threads and make vicious personal attacks and insult against regular members like myself.

I am new here and only joined in the hope of having some interesting and civil science discussions. From day 1 I have been insulted and trolled by a number of the regulars here. Nothing wrong with that, I expect it on an internet forum. What I didn't expect was to have two moderators also join in the trolling and personal attacks against me to the point of following me around different threads to post insults.

I read the rules and the rules don't cover the situation. What is the proper response when two supposedly "unbiased" moderators start behaving like churlish thugs against board members? The board software won't let me put them on ignore because they're moderators. You tell me what is the proper response.

Thread Information