User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The annoyance of aggressive telemarketers

V.I.P V.I.P
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    Anybody else get called by that back brace company that you requested info from? I've had that one 4 or 5 times over the years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

pjohns (01-11-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Most of these calls seem to be robotic............

I made a fools mistake trying to get to a person so I could (less than politely) request they take my number off their damn list. This resulted in even more phone calls!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- Ronald Reagan

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

pjohns (01-11-2018),Rutabaga (01-11-2018)

Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If the caller doesn't have ID, I don't answer.

That's all there is to that.

And how can telemarketers stay in business? I don't know ANYONE that buys from them.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 412 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

Because we have fascists that can't turn this country into Venezuela until the victims are disarmed.

And some said my other husky avatar was scary.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

pjohns (01-11-2018)

V.I.P V.I.P

Thanks
    And how can telemarketers stay in business? I don't know ANYONE that buys from them.

Me either BUT then I also don't know anyone that's been taken by a Nigerian & there seems to be a lot of people taken in.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

patrickt (01-12-2018),pjohns (01-11-2018),Sled Dog (01-11-2018)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Don't say 'Yes' when robocall scam rings

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ings/99709634/

If you still have a landline phone, make sure you aren't snared in the latest robocall scam.

Anyone who still has a traditional home phone dreads the hated robocall. As part of the latest scam, the caller, instead of mentioning who they are, instead asks "Can you hear me?"

That could be a sign that a scammer is on the other end of the line.

The Federal Communications Commission Monday issued a consumer alert against just such scammers. When a caller says, "Yes," that they can hear the robocall, their reply is recorded and used to authorize fraudulent charges via telephone on the victim's utility or credit card account, the FCC says.

The scam is prevalent, based on complaints the agency has received and from news reports across the U.S. The fraudulent callers may impersonate familiar organizations to get you to answer and talk.

"Robocalls are the number one consumer complaint to the FCC from the public. And it’s no wonder: Every month, U.S. consumers are bombarded by an estimated 2.4 billion robocalls," said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai last week at the agency's March meeting, during which the commission voted to begin a rulemaking process to eliminate robocalls.

"Not only are unwanted robocalls intrusive and irritating, but they are also frequently employed to scam our most vulnerable populations, like elderly Americans, out of their hard-earned dollars," Pai said.

What you should do, according to the FCC? Hang up immediately. Or better yet, don't answer a call from an unknown number.

If you have gotten a call such as this, review your credit card and telephone bills, as well as your bank statement for unauthorized charges.

Anyone who believes they have been targeted by this scam should immediately report the incident to the Better Business Bureau’s Scam Tracker and the FCC Consumer Help Center.

Other FCC robocall tips:
    — Hang up if a caller asks you to hit a button to stop receiving calls. It's often a recording. Scammers often use that tactic to identify and target live respondents.
    — If you do answer what winds up being a scam call, write the number down and add that to your FCC complaint.
    — Ask your telephone company if it has a robocall blocking service. If it doesn't, recommend it get one.

— Register all of your telephone numbers in the National Do Not Call Registry.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slayer98_l For This Useful Post:

Jim Scott (01-11-2018),Rutabaga (01-11-2018)

Overall activity: 42.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I went to work one day and my boss said, "Where were you last night?"
    "Home."
    "I called and you didn't answer."
    "Was that you?"
    "I called all night till about eleven. Why didn't you answer?"
    "I was reading."
    "You have to answer your phone."
    "I wasn't on call last night. I was busy reading."
    "You can't just let it ring."
    "Obviously, I can."

I recognize a lot of people can't. I have had people in my home or in my office when the phone rang and they got very upset if I didn't answer it. A couple even answered it for me. They seem to think a ringing phone demands you answer it. These are the same people, I suspect, who think their cell phone makes them stop on the center of the sidewalk to text "friends" they've never met or think their car takes them places they don't want to go or their computer makes them do things they don't want to do.

How sad.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

pjohns (01-12-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    It is my understanding that one can give the phone company a list of numbers from which one will accept calls; and they will automatically block all the rest. But even if this is correct, in necessarily begs the question: What if someone that one knows is calling from a different number than usual? That is why I do not use this service.

V.I.P V.I.P

Thanks
    I had a first today & I've never even heard of it happening before. I got one of those recorded calls. While it was on the first sentence of it's spiel my phone beeped letting me know that I had another call. I hung up & then answered the other call. It was from THE SAME COMPANY & WAS THE SAME SPIEL.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

pjohns (01-13-2018)

Thread Information