User Tag List

Thread: OLD " 666" B-17 a reputation for getting"Shot to Hell",on every mission

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OLD " 666" B-17 a reputation for getting"Shot to Hell",on every mission

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”― Heraclitus

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DonGlock26 For This Useful Post:

Flanders (01-14-2018),Kris P Bacon (01-08-2018),Stan Fan (01-17-2018)

Overall activity: 10.0%

Ranch in California Mountains & Nevada high desert
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for posting this```

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to valley ranch For This Useful Post:

DonGlock26 (01-09-2018),JMWinPR (01-12-2018),Stan Fan (01-17-2018)

Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    Interesting video. Stock "E" and (some) "F" model B-17s were vulnerable to head-on attacks, lacking a nose or chin gun. Late "F" and the "G" models added a chin gun. The initial attacks by the Zeros reflected that knowledge, but the B-17 crew had upgraded their "E" plane to add nose guns. The two Zeros shot down early were the result of that upgrade.

Zeros' armament was a mismatch and could have been more effective. The 7.7mm machine guns lacked the hitting power of the .50 caliber guns common in US fighters. Their 20mm cannon hit plenty hard, but Zeros couldn't carry a lot of 20mm shells (that the Japanese fighters had 20mm cannon is evidence that the attackers were actually Zeros, not misidentified Ki-43 Oscars). Also, the ballistic curves of the 7.7mm and 20mm guns were so different that they required different aiming. Zeros were faster and also longer range compared to American fighters. BUT that speed and range was bought by not protecting the pilot with cockpit armor or having self-sealing fuel tanks. The latter, evidently, was a factor in this fight.
    Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving. - David Burge, Iowahawkblog

Think of the Press as Democratic Operatives with Bylines and it All Makes Sense - Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit blog

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

DonGlock26 (01-14-2018),Stan Fan (01-17-2018)

Senior Member Forum Donor
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valley ranch View Post
    Thank you for posting this```
    Great post. Was in the bookstore today at Sawgrass Mills, which was running a buy two, get one free sale. Picked up three classics: "Great Expectations" - "Tale Of Two Cities" and "The Iliad" - total cost $12.97, heck of a bargain, going back tomorrow and buying "Beauwulf" - "The Odyssey" and "Tess Of The Ubbervilles" by Thomas Hardy.

Didn't pay much attention to the history aisle, usually my favorite stop, but the book "666" was there, for $3.97, appeared nobody was buying it. Excellent coincidence that you would post that story up to catch my attention on the same day when I passed it by. Never heard of "666" but it possibly could of, by proxy, caused me to be born. My Dad was in the Third Marine Division during World War II in the Pacific as a Corporal, and the first place they invaded was Buka and Bougainvillea. Old 666, according to the post was running a solo mapping run of Buka and the island for that invasion by the Third Marines, who would go on and retake back from the Japanese, the first piece of American territory, Guam, then be sent into Iwo Jima to fight on that infamous hellhole. Third Marines were led by General "Howling-Mad" Smith.

Loved the coincidence of your post - heading back to the store tomorrow afternoon and picking up the book "666" which just might have possibly allowed me to be born. Appreciate the historical digging of something tremendously interesting, and not well published, had never heard about it myself............ - Stan -
    Last edited by Stan Fan; 01-17-2018 at 11:31 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Fan For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (01-18-2018)

Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    Unless you love Hardy go for David Copperfield instead, .
    Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving. - David Burge, Iowahawkblog

Think of the Press as Democratic Operatives with Bylines and it All Makes Sense - Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit blog

Senior Member Forum Donor
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Traddles View Post
    Unless you love Hardy go for David Copperfield instead, .
    Love Dickens, he was a social commentary writer against the evils of the orphanage; workhouse and the Industrial Revolution in England. I picked up two of his yesterday - "Great Expectations" and "A Tale Of Two Cities" for classroom use. Have the complete set of Charles Dickens works, old set, gold leaf hardback they were a gift years ago from my late Grandmother. But they are not fit for classroom use, too bulky and valuable. The ones I picked up were 5x7 softcover, large print. My students are going to read both. As for Thomas Hardy, I like "Far From The Madding Crowd" and "The Mayor Of Casterbridge" and his poetry. Didn't have a copy of "Tess." Went back today and picked up "666" - reading will have to wait, on two books right now, but the post inspired me to go and pick it up today. No wonder those men and women are known as America's "Greatest Generation." ........... - Stan -

Thread Information